Question

Keep the group after a power loss

• 12 September 2014
  • 5 replies

Am trying to setup a system to go in a lobby - won't have a laptop or phone to control and no internet access. The hardware will be a connect w/o amp, 1 play:5 and 2 play:3. The music source will be line in via the play:5 and the play:3's will be grouped so music plays on all speakers. I've got just about everything figured out except how to have a speaker lose power and then reconnect to the group when power is restored? What am I missing?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I agree that a way for groups to persist across power failures is overdue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There isn't currently a way to maintain group settings after a power outage. You can use any controller iOS, Android, Windows PC, or Mac to make a group if an outage occurs.

We've heard the request before and have a page for this on our ideas page here. Please feel free to add your +1 and follow it to get feedback if there's any news on the topic.
Userlevel 1
Badge
"We've heard the request before and have a page for this on our ideas page here."

I'm sorry, but you need an "idea" request in order to fix this obviously poor design? I don't have to log my phone back into my wifi every time it powers down or goes out of range because DUH.
But instead of fixing stuff Sonos sends you spam e-mails with content like "Hey, did you know that you can set a sleep timer. Supercool feature we invented!" and useless crap like that. (And this supercool sleep timer only works with a few preset durations, no manual setting if you want it to play for 2.5h or something like that. No slow fade out, it more or less just shuts off. Hightech...)
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
You can't even have the alarm just carry on playing whatever you were listening to previously (rather like a 'normal' alarm). You have to select a source and you WILL lose your queue (something most Sonos users 'treasure') unless you save it beforehand..