Add turntable to Beam and 2 x One (or 2 x Play:3)

• 23 July 2022
  • 8 replies

Hi all,

My current system is a Beam (Gen 1) connected to a Sony Bravia 55” and two Sonos Ones used as rear speakers.
I have inherited from a relative a Project turntable / Arcam Amplifier / 2 B&W speakers and 2 x Play:3.

Firstly I would like to integrate the turntable into my existing system and just use the Sonos speakers. I was looking at an eBay Connect Amp (Gen 2) and hooking the turntable into that. Would that then play through my existing speakers and what about when I want to listen to the TV?

Secondly with the combination of Beam / 2 x One / 2 x Play 3 what would be the best setup / placement for TV / music listening?

Hope that all makes sense! many thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

If you aren’t using any passive speakers with your turntable and Sonos system, you can just get a Sonos Connect or the newer Sonos Port. Connecting the turntable to a Connect or a Port will allow you to play the turntable audio to any Sonos device in your system.

Read more about connecting a turntable here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3548

If you have TV Autoplay enabled under the Beam’s settings, when you turn on the TV and the Beam detects the TV audio, it will automatically play through the Beam.

Since you already have the Beam and two Ones in the room, I would consider adding the Play:3s to another room. Also, if you group the Play:3s with the Beam setup when playing TV audio, you will experience a slight audio delay from the Play:3s. Music will be in sync though.

Another great option is using the Play:3s as surrounds with the Beam and moving the pair of Ones to another room.

You could wire the turntable and a CONNECT:AMP to the B&W speakers or wire a CONNECT as an input to the ARCAM connected to the B&W’s. For the best future compatibility, make sure that any CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP’s are S2 compatible.

you can just get a Sonos Connect or the newer Sonos Port. Connecting the turntable to a Connect or a Port will allow you to play the turntable audio to any Sonos device in your system.

If you have TV Autoplay enabled under the Beam’s settings, when you turn on the TV and the Beam detects the TV audio, it will automatically play through the Beam.

Since you already have the Beam and two Ones in the room, I would consider adding the Play:3s to another room. Also, if you group the Play:3s with the Beam setup when playing TV audio, you will experience a slight audio delay from the Play:3s. Music will be in sync though.

Another great option is using the Play:3s as surrounds with the Beam and moving the pair of Ones to another room.

Thanks for your reply,
Will a Connect work without an amp or do I need a Connect Amp?
My understanding is that if I’m using the line in on the Connect, then I can not use the Sonos speakers as part of the TV setup?
My ideal setup is to have the same Sonos speakers (Beam + One’s or Play:3) in use for both the TV and turntable (though not at the same time!) Is the Connect or Connect Amp the answer to my dreams?!
Thanks again.

You could wire the turntable and a CONNECT:AMP to the B&W speakers or wire a CONNECT as an input to the ARCAM connected to the B&W’s. For the best future compatibility, make sure that any CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP’s are S2 compatible.

Thanks for the reply, I’m looking to simplify as much as I can, so looking to use just the turntable / TV / and Sonos speakers and not the B&W speakers or Arcam amp.

SONOS Line-In does not work like a traditional analog input. A SONOS Line-In is actually a networked audio input port that can be accessed by any and all SONOS units in your system. Line-Out or speaker out on a SONOS unit is just a player with a network connection to other SONOS units. There is no direct connection between a Line-In and Line-Out as would be the case for traditional amplifiers and preamplifiers.

Bottom line: Line-In can play in any combination of ‘Rooms’, independently of any Line-Out or speaker connection associated with that box. 

Rather than a CONNECT, CONNECT:AMP, PORT or AMP, you could use the Line-In from a FIVE for your turntable.

Note that because Line-In is on the network, there is a 75ms latency between Line-In and output from a player. If you ‘Group’ Rooms to play the same music source, all of the Rooms will be time aligned. TV audio through BEAM is handled a little differently. When TV audio is Grouped there will be about a 30ms skew between BEAM and other players. Unless the other players are in the same room as BEAM, this is usually not an issue.

Userlevel 7

you can just get a Sonos Connect or the newer Sonos Port. Connecting the turntable to a Connect or a Port will allow you to play the turntable audio to any Sonos device in your system.

Thanks for your reply,
Will a Connect work without an amp or do I need a Connect Amp?
My understanding is that if I’m using the line in on the Connect, then I can not use the Sonos speakers as part of the TV setup?
My ideal setup is to have the same Sonos speakers (Beam + One’s or Play:3) in use for both the TV and turntable (though not at the same time!) Is the Connect or Connect Amp the answer to my dreams?!
Thanks again.

A Connect or Port is all that you will need to connect your turntable and play the turntable audio through your Beam setup. You do not need a Connect:Amp or Amp unless you plan on using a set of passive speakers.

Also, If your turntable doesn’t have a built-in phono pre-amp, you will need to add one.

If it helps with understanding, if you get a Connect:Amp and don’t use your passive speakers then the amp in the Connect:Amp will not be used.  Sonos speakers have amplification built in.  Whether you use a Connect or a Connect:Amp, the only thing it will be doing is taking an analog feed from your turntable, converting it to digital, then sending it to your Sonos speakers.  The speakers convert it to analog, amplify it and play it through the speaker drivers.

A Connect will be cheaper, hence the advice from the others.

As has already been mentioned, a Five (or a gen 2 Play:5) would give you a line in and a great speaker, so that is another option.

Thanks all for your answers, very useful and I have learned a lot more about my system in the process!
If my setup goes wrong I know where to come back to!

Thanks again