Skip to main content

Hello everyone,

We wanted to take a moment to address concerns regarding our new app that launched in May. At Sonos, delivering an exceptional experience is paramount to all that we do. Unfortunately, your experiences over the past several weeks have fallen short of our commitment to you.

Today, our CEO Patrick Spence published a letter that includes a detailed update on the progress we’ve been making and plans going forward. You can read the full letter here.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and continued support. We are working hard to earn back your trust and are more committed than ever to delivering a consistently great Sonos experience for everyone.

Thank you all for your patience,
Your Sonos Team

i think sonos should refund users the £4 for sonophone/sonopad whilst developments to software are made every 2 weeks.

That App is only available on iOS controllers - so seems a little unfair. It’s also a users choice to purchase that App, or not.

I personally think it hindered some things, because rather than reporting issues to Sonos with the new Sonos App, some user just switched to such 3rd-party Apps and likely didn’t report the issues seen in the new Sonos App. If Sonos were thinking of giving something to ‘existing’ S2 users affected then there are probably much better ways to go about these things. 

You can buy it and get a refund as well 😋

The opposite is that they didn’t flood support all at same time with same problems, and when they revert to sonos app all is fixed for them without months of pain...all hypothetical nonsense really 🤣

The opposite is that they didn’t flood support all at same time with same problems, and when they revert to sonos app all is fixed for them without months of pain...all hypothetical nonsense really 🤣

You are missing the point.  Some (most?) of the issues with the Sonos app seem to be related to networking issues, specifically discovery issues.  If one reverts to the old app or gets a 3rd party app that is using the old UPnP discovery method, then anything which is hampering the new mDNS based app never gets sorted out (and Sonos never even knows it is a problem). 

My position: S1&S2 user; 8 zones, 10+ years user of Sonos, music on Synology NAS plus Spotify.  Punk rock to Beethoven (or should that be the other way around?).  Managed software teams for years, understand that there are times when you have to push on despite difficulties; other times be bold and revert.

IMO there should be more blame (vitriol? 😂) directed at Maxime Bouvat-Merlin who is the guy who determines the releases; I assume he tells CEO “we’re ready, releasing new controller next week” - the CEO shouldn’t need to micromanage because he should be able to trust his reports.  Either Maxime did not have the information (thus no respect from his reports so should be dismissed) or he lied to CEO (gross misconduct so should be dismissed).  He’s the product guy, he should be held accountable.

So many of us are feeling acute embarrassment because we’ve recommended Sonos to family and friends - now our opinion is diminished.

Tangent: with this rewrite and offloading to Sonos servers, I wonder if it’ll be possible to remove the need for S1&S2, given that the original reason cited was that the older devices didn’t have the resources.  If some of the processing has been removed, has that freed up resources?

You are missing the point.  Some (most?) of the issues with the Sonos app seem to be related to networking issues, specifically discovery issues.  If one reverts to the old app or gets a 3rd party app that is using the old UPnP discovery method, then anything which is hampering the new mDNS based app never gets sorted out (and Sonos never even knows it is a problem). 

Good point, but it has given alot of people a good nights worry free sleep, think sonos support are busy enough at the moment and if/when sonos kill UPnP they will be thrown back into the turmoil further down the track.

Good point, but it has given alot of people a good nights worry free sleep, think sonos support are busy enough at the moment and if/when sonos kill UPnP they will be thrown back into the turmoil further down the track.

Plus if they want me as a beta tester they can pay me 😊

My position: S1&S2 user; 8 zones, 10+ years user of Sonos, music on Synology NAS plus Spotify.  Punk rock to Beethoven (or should that be the other way around?).  Managed software teams for years, understand that there are times when you have to push on despite difficulties; other times be bold and revert.

IMO there should be more blame (vitriol? 😂) directed at Maxime Bouvat-Merlin who is the guy who determines the releases; I assume he tells CEO “we’re ready, releasing new controller next week” - the CEO shouldn’t need to micromanage because he should be able to trust his reports.  Either Maxime did not have the information (thus no respect from his reports so should be dismissed) or he lied to CEO (gross misconduct so should be dismissed).  He’s the product guy, he should be held accountable.

So many of us are feeling acute embarrassment because we’ve recommended Sonos to family and friends - now our opinion is diminished.

Tangent: with this rewrite and offloading to Sonos servers, I wonder if it’ll be possible to remove the need for S1&S2, given that the original reason cited was that the older devices didn’t have the resources.  If some of the processing has been removed, has that freed up resources?

I’m pretty sure all parties involved knew this app was half-baked, they’d have to be blind not to.  This was all about the headphones, which were promised to investors by the end of the fiscal year.  

the webb app just spins for me today…..

https://play.sonos.com/en-us/web-app

@paulrw,
It’s working okay now (image attached) taken a few moments ago…

Hi all, although my Sonos is still working, I am having problems with the “Music Library”, “Album” sort feature. When I select “Album” in now displays each track as an individual album, that makes creating any playlists extremely time consuming to the point its not worth trying. I was told by tech support there is nothing they can do, and I can’t  go back to the previous version that was working just fine. I have seen some comments posted here that suggest you can go back to a previous versions. Does anyone know how to do that? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

lry

Hi all, although my Sonos is still working, I am having problems with the “Music Library”, “Album” sort feature. When I select “Album” in now displays each track as an individual album, that makes creating any playlists extremely time consuming to the point its not worth trying. I was told by tech support there is nothing they can do, and I can’t  go back to the previous version that was working just fine. I have seen some comments posted here that suggest you can go back to a previous versions. Does anyone know how to do that? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

lry

You cannot rollback anymore latest firmware stops that and the fault you’re describing is reported elsewhere and is a known bug I think 

Thank You

lry

Might be a good time to look into PLEX for your local files...

I applaud the note and taking responsibility. Good to see that note being issued (a bit later than people might have expected but good nonetheless). 

But despite the contrition, and if this forum over the last couple of months is any indicator, I fear this thread will still shortly become a breeding ground and echo chamber for abuse and toxicity…. 

Dude, this forum needed to be a breeding ground of abuse and toxicity over the past couple of months, otherwise Sonos would've shrugged their shoulders and formed the opinion that customers liked the new app!

You can’t communicate that your upset about something without being abusive and toxic?  That can’t really be your take on this matter.

Thank You

lry

I see the same issue too and like @skullc mentions, I think this is possibly a known issue. Hope it gets fixed soon too - All tracks need to be grouped by the Album title in that area of the library.

I applaud the note and taking responsibility. Good to see that note being issued (a bit later than people might have expected but good nonetheless). 

But despite the contrition, and if this forum over the last couple of months is any indicator, I fear this thread will still shortly become a breeding ground and echo chamber for abuse and toxicity…. 

This isn’t contrition, it’s damage control now that the Board has seen the impact on revenues and share price.

Customer fury at their disgraceful treatment by an arrogant company isn’t toxicity, it’s the understandable reaction of those who Sonos have mugged off and played for fools. Sonos is the abusive party in the relationship, and they would have continued to be so had customers not reacted as they did. So I respectfully suggest you stop fawning over the abusers.

This isn’t contrition, it’s damage control now that the Board has seen the impact on revenues and share price.

Customer fury at their disgraceful treatment by an arrogant company isn’t toxicity, it’s the understandable reaction of those who Sonos have mugged off and played for fools. Sonos is the abusive party in the relationship, and they would have continued to be so had customers not reacted as they did. So I respectfully suggest you stop fawning over the abusers.

As someone who witnessed the many deleted posts that not only crossed the line of good taste, but delved into some really, really, really dark places, I can honestly say some people's reactions were the very definition of abuse and toxicity.  I’d describe them for you, but the mods won’t allow even a sanitized description (that should give you an idea of how disgusting they were).

On 23rd April 2024, I received an email from Sonos entitled 

“A big update is coming to the Sonos App”

Within that email was a question and answer list which included

“ How will this affect my system?

We've taken great care to ensure that this update only enhances your Sonos experience. Your products, features and services will work as they always have, and all your settings will be saved”

Also, there was an exhortation to Turn on Automatic Updates……

Maybe I’ve missed something - but this doesn’t seem to have been addressed in the CEO’s apology.

This was a massive lie. They knew it was a lie, but went ahead anyway with both the lie and the new app in one of the most egregious anti customer acts in corporate history.

I’m surprised an enterprising lawyer hasn’t started a class action against Sonos for deliberate deception.

Heheh, that didn’t take long . . .

I love that it’s your personal challenge to get the Patrick Spence letter thread closed to comments by page 3! 😁

If people don’t respond with barbed comments or intentionally try to get posts shutdown as someone is applauding you for apparently there would probably be less toxic abuse going on

just an observation 

This was a massive lie. They knew it was a lie, but went ahead anyway with both the lie and the new app in one of the most egregious anti customer acts in corporate history.

I’m surprised an enterprising lawyer hasn’t started a class action against Sonos for deliberate deception.

I’m surprised that the hundreds of users who said they were going to consult a lawyer and file a class action suit haven’t posted back yet.

Check that.  I’m really not surprised at all. 

If people don’t respond with barbed comments or intentionally try to get posts shutdown as someone is applauding you for apparently there would probably be less toxic abuse going on

just an observation 

Yeah, the posts trying to insert a little reality in the toxic stew are the cause of the toxicity?  Is that what you are saying? 

I love that it’s your personal challenge to get the Patrick Spence letter thread closed to comments by page 3! 😁

just an observation 

He was not trying to get the thread closed down, and neither was I applauding him for doing so. It was a wry comment that anyone could see was not meant literally. 

just an observation 

He was not trying to get the thread closed down, and neither was I applauding him for doing so. It was a wry comment that anyone could see was not meant literally. 

Glad to hear it 

off to listen to my WiiM you all have a good evening 😊

This app has gone downhill and is barely functional. I'll be connected to my two play-1 listening to music and then the app shows not connected. Since they removed playing from your device I uploaded to YouTube music and it shows only 500 tracks. It also seems to only play certain ones. Also you have to create favorites, I can't find a way to play all song on shuffle. This has been very disappointing. 

Don’t forget the CEO told us initially that everyone loves this app (only a vocal 1% making all the noise)  and that he and leadership had been using it for months prior and love it. He lies and should be gone- he will not earn back my trust.  

Of course it was removed, users could do something beforehand and their ability to do them after the update was removed - never mind the incredible number of bugs that were introduced.  Although, by the same logic can it be said they weren't introduced?  How Sonos came about to that is completely irrelevant to users.

I'm just trying to imagine explaining to a user why they can't do something in my code isn't because it's been removed but because I started again and re-wrote it.  Bizarre logic.

They should maybe just release the App that Patrick has used since Christmas because that was great apparently.

Yes- at least someone else remembers the lies he told out of the gate. 

NY Times Wirecutter review site, as of this week, no longer recommends Sonos as a top pick for wireless speakers.

“Sonos recently rolled out a major update to its control app that had a ton of problems, leaving its customers with a much less intuitive experience than they had before. While the company is slowly addressing some of the major issues with the new app, this is not the first time Sonos has hurt customer trust through poorly executed changes”

I wonder if that got the Sonos execs’ attention.