Skip to main content

Hello everyone,

We wanted to take a moment to address concerns regarding our new app that launched in May. At Sonos, delivering an exceptional experience is paramount to all that we do. Unfortunately, your experiences over the past several weeks have fallen short of our commitment to you.

Today, our CEO Patrick Spence published a letter that includes a detailed update on the progress we’ve been making and plans going forward. You can read the full letter here.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and continued support. We are working hard to earn back your trust and are more committed than ever to delivering a consistently great Sonos experience for everyone.

Thank you all for your patience,
Your Sonos Team

12 weeks+ and the app. can’t still be fixed, then give me a refund of my 3mo. ago purchase of two sonos five’s.

Completely unacceptable. 

90 day for returns, just return them. 

No chance of doing that in my case. I listen to the Fives/Sub every day - still the best setup for music in the Sonos line-up and it’s easy to see why they’re the Sonos flagship speaker.

I’m guessing you don’t own a pair of Fives.

Congratulations. This provides zero help to the poster with speakers not working. 

It wasn’t aimed at ‘the poster’ - nor did I mention returning the speakers either, as that also doesn’t solve the issue reported. It merely side-steps the issue, but I’ll take the congratulations anyway… thanks. 🙏

Regarding the new app and Patrick’s note to the community, Sonos has revised its fiscal guidance due the botched app rollout. Also Sonos is delaying 2 hardware releases to deal with the app. This is a staggering screw up, obviously affecting huge amounts of people. 

"The company is now delaying two hardware releases originally planned for later this year as it deploys an all-hands-on-deck approach to fixing the app. "I will not rest until we're in a position where we've addressed the issues and have customers raving about Sonos again," Spence said during the afternoon earnings call."

Title of Patrick’s next community blog post: How to tank your company and alienate your customers in 90 days. 

Hi Ken, thanks. But I havent changed any settings, and I had my Sonos setup for years… and I’m playing 5.1 like allways, it’s also serching for my speaker, forgetting settings and so on and so on. All after the new update… 🤷🏼‍♂️ I set up alle my Sonos i my flat, not that hard, but this… I dont get it. 🤥

One further thought @Zacho1979 if your still using the LG C8 TV with your Beam ensure the following settings are in place on your TV…

Sound -> Additional Settings (DTV Audio = Auto) / HDMI input format = Bitstream for all HDMI ports.

Certainly check that the HDMI input format on all inputs is set to Bitstream and not PCM. 

12 weeks+ and the app. can’t still be fixed, then give me a refund of my 3mo. ago purchase of two sonos five’s.

Completely unacceptable. 

90 day for returns, just return them. 

No chance of doing that in my case. I listen to the Fives/Sub every day - still the best setup for music in the Sonos line-up and it’s easy to see why they’re the Sonos flagship speaker.

I’m guessing you don’t own a pair of Fives.

Congratulations. This provides zero help to the poster with speakers not working. 

It wasn’t aimed at the poster - nor did I mention returning the speakers either, as that also doesn’t solve the issue reported. It merely side-steps the issue but I’ll take the congratulations anyway… thanks. 🙏

No speakers no problem. You should stop spamming and keep your posts on topic. 

No speakers no problem. You should stop spamming and keep your posts on topic. 

I’m entitled to give a viewpoint here and I’ve shown the Fives can and most certainly do work with the App, but the user doesn’t need the Sonos App to play to the speakers anyway - The App is not a player but merely a remote.

There are plenty of options to get those speakers playing. I would test those things first and even speak with Sonos Customer Support, rather than surrendering what is one of the best pieces of hardware that Sonos make. I’m sure if they prove to be faulty that Sonos will replace them and there’s nothing else that comes close to their audio capabilities for the price they cost anyway.

I won’t buy Sonos again.

Nothing changed.  I still get the same run around.  The reps just want me to keep resetting the unit.  It’s insanity to think that trying the same thing over and over again is going to fix it.  Each time I’m told that the fix may work. Let’s just give it a try one more time?  Over and over again. It never works.  The rep says we will get back to you. Phone call back.  Reset again.  It doesn’t work.  Repeat process.  It’s insanity.  

I won’t buy Sonos again.

Nothing changed.  I still get the same run around.  The reps just want me to keep resetting the unit.  It’s insanity to think that trying the same thing over and over again is going to fix it.  Each time I’m told that the fix may work. Let’s just give it a try one more time?  Over and over again. It never works.  The rep says we will get back to you. Phone call back.  Reset again.  It doesn’t work.  Repeat process.  It’s insanity.  

You just have the Roam SL, is that correct? Which WiFi band and channel did the Sonos Staff put the device onto and what’s the channel-width you’ve set for that band?

I won’t buy Sonos again.

You just have the Roam SL, is that correct? Which WiFi band and channel did the Sonos Staff put the device onto and what’s the channel-width you’ve set for that band?

Ken, no consumer-level product should place that level of technical network tweaking onto the user to work.  That is just crazy.  If the new architecture has highly specific requirements for user’s home WiFi networks then that sounds like a major backward step.  Sonos know that they are playing in the consumer WiFi domain and should ensure their products work smoothly and efficiently therein.  LIKE THEY USED TO (mostly).

Still a joke. My whole home audio project will be done with another product, since they removed the mono option for amps.

Nothing works right. The app barely opens correctly (often times there is no system at all).

I won’t buy Sonos again.

Ken, no consumer-level product should place that level of technical network tweaking onto the user to work.  That is just crazy.  If the new architecture has highly specific requirements for user’s home WiFi networks then that sounds like a major backward step.  Sonos know that they are playing in the consumer WiFi domain and should ensure their products work smoothly and efficiently therein.  LIKE THEY USED TO (mostly).

I haven’t asked the user to do anything - I was just trying to establish what the Sonos Support Staff did for the user and asked which WiFi band was used (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz) and the details about that band - for example 2.4Ghz WiFi using Channel 6 (as an example) …and I simply asked the user what the width of the channel is - it’s either 20MHz or 40Mhz for that band - it’s something a user would easily glean from speaking with Sonos Support as they can see that information… and in truth it’s only basic detail, I was asking for as it might have provided enough infirmation, to then go onto make some suggestions.

I would have simply referred the user to some Sonos documentation that leads them step-by-step through some small changes that might have solved the problem… in any event neither of us yet know the abilities of the person posting anyway… and nothing ventured etc…

Still a joke. My whole home audio project will be done with another product, since they removed the mono option for amps.

Nothing works right. The app barely opens correctly (often times there is no system at all).

Mono for Amps is in iOS and it was added to Android at the end of July. See attached,

In case anyone missed the earnings call, here’s the transcript:

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2024/08/08/sonos-sono-q3-2024-earnings-call-transcript/

The new headphones have done well. Makes me feel a bit more positive. All this trouble might not cost them in the long run.

”strong customer reviews and meaningful market share gains”

The new headphones have done well. Makes me feel a bit more positive. All this trouble might not cost them in the long run.

"Though our financial results over the past 3 quarters had put us on track to meet our annual expectations, the challenges from the launch of our app requires us to adjust our Q4 expectations..."

"Though our financial results over the past 3 quarters had put us on track to meet our annual expectations, the challenges from the launch of our app requires us to adjust our Q4 expectations..."

Yes, they are holding off new products and probably hiring some tech support. Share price pre-market is testing the $10 low from some months back.

Yes, they are holding off new products and probably hiring some tech support. Share price pre-market is testing the $10 low from some months back.

Exactly. Shareholders (the owners of the company) don't like what's going on at Sonos.

There seem to be some Sonos positive guys hanging around this thread and some not so positive. I’m interested in both sides as I’ve got a decision to make as I’m in the process of upgrading my system.

I’ve been a Sonos user almost since the beginning and generally happy enough. I know it will never be as good as the audiophile stuff I used to have but I made the jump due to the flexibility it offers and because I simply couldn’t afford multi room set ups using Sonos Faber speakers etc...

I use it for multi-room audio - for a large music library not streaming services - and sound bars, surrounds, sub for home cinema etc…

During that time I’ve had to learn more about wifi etc..than I’d like but always been able to figure out issues.  

I’ve never liked the app - I much prefer Apple Music although it has its limitations. 

The new app has wasted endless hours of my time, removed my core functionality and the response from the company has been frustrating to say the least.  I’m one of the majority of users who doesn’t want to play about with wifi networks, learning about SMB etc… - I know actually getting the kit to work is fun for some of you - but not me. I want true plug and play.

Pre-May I bought a new Arc, Era 300, Sub etc.. I’ve had no issue with the home cinema set up and as it’s new it stays.

I’ve got a Move and a Roam and I can bluetooth them which I do most of the time anyway as they’re travel speakers - they stay.

I now have eight rooms that have various stereo two speaker set ups that I need to upgrade - currently Play 1, Play 3.  The original plan was to use Era 300s.

I’m now considering other options simply because this fiasco has highlighted a number of things.

1. A wired SONOSnet is dead - a feature I valued - now like any other system you connect to wifi and as ERA100, 300 don’t work with a wired solution you're forced off any legacy setup instantly rendering my Boost redundant - although this wasn’t exactly communicated clearly. So with the exception of playing different music in multiple rooms, (without getting Apple Music), Airplay 2 now does everything I need as well as SONOS does.  
  2. The company refuses to follow basic UAT procedures and will always be prone to periodically killing the system. This is a mentality thing - you're either a shop that gambles or cynically releases kit you know isn’t ready or you are not.  SONOS will do this again, it’s a strategic approach that will only change with a wholesale revision of their culture.  Always happens when the voice of the shareholder drowns out the voice of the customer.
  3. The company has not invested enough in its support and communication has been very poor.  As they are likely to take an almighty financial hit on this I can’t see this being rectified.
  4. SONOS no longer has an identity and it has burned its goodwill - it’s alienated its loyal affluent user base owning multiple products, chasing short term revenue - it simply cannot be considered premium now.  Owning the speakers is an embarrassment not something to boast about.
  5. So given an Airplay set up, using Music as a controller works pretty much the same as SONOS, having gone from a company that provides solutions, it is now a maker of decent speakers with lousy software and support.

So the question is now rather than blindly remaining loyal to SONOS - and forfeiting different music in multiple rooms - is there any reason not to simply shop around for Airplay speakers, of which SONOS speakers are one option?  I can’t see any and there are some decent looking bits of kit out there now.  Views appreciated - genuinely - can someone more tech savvy sell it to me?

If you have pots of money then go for it.

Otherwise hang in there, sonos always sorts most of it over time (except DTS).

Ceo has postponed 2 new products and re-routed manpower into support and development of app.

Just sit tight, why do you need to change?

Plex might be a solution for your local music, then just connecting to sonos like any other service.

Thank you for keeping your client in the loop.

Would it be possible to advise on how can we adjust our product meanwhile the new app gets figured out?

Since its impossible to access anything else then volume up or down directly from my television remote.

Is there an other way to get access to my Sonos Arc soundbar? 

I did more then a few time reboot, unplugged, the soundbar, my wifi, my router both app, everything that was suggested has been tried and failed. 
My husband is earring impaired and he can’t ear all the dialogue or certain sounds. Just a few adjustments would make all the difference.

Turn on Speech Enhancement on the Now Playing screen when watching TV.

You can press the physical volume up and down buttons on the Arc itself too. 

If you can’t access the app at all (?) and want to adjust volume from an app then you could try Sonophone as an app if you use an iPhone.

Unfortunately both app can’t find my soundbar, so I’am very limited with option. 
hope they fix the issue ASAP. 

Hi @R999, I think you are onto something: separating “front-end software” from “back-end speakers” has real value by allowing you to optimize those separately. If you want a sterling music software experience, there are options that very likely meet your personal user experience better than any vendor-specific bundled software. Said another way, if you want great software it makes sense to go with a software product.

Now you get what you pay for … and great software costs money! Roon Labs gets mentioned from time to time, but most folks gasp when they see the subscription cost. Audirvana is my personal favorite, less spendy than Roon at $70 per year.

Thank you for keeping your client in the loop.

Would it be possible to advise on how can we adjust our product meanwhile the new app gets figured out?

Since its impossible to access anything else then volume up or down directly from my television remote.

Is there an other way to get access to my Sonos Arc soundbar? 

I did more then a few time reboot, unplugged, the soundbar, my wifi, my router both app, everything that was suggested has been tried and failed. 
My husband is earring impaired and he can’t ear all the dialogue or certain sounds. Just a few adjustments would make all the difference.

Turn on Speech Enhancement on the Now Playing screen when watching TV.

You can press the physical volume up and down buttons on the Arc itself too. 

If you can’t access the app at all (?) and want to adjust volume from an app then you could try Sonophone as an app if you use an iPhone.

Unfortunately both app can’t find my soundbar, so I’am very limited with option. 
hope they fix the issue ASAP. 

If even the Sonophone app can’t find the soundbar, then it’s less likely to be an app issue and more an issue local to your Arc. Without scrolling back through the thread, can you/did you confirm that you can access either the Windows or Mac desktop app (https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/downloads), and have tried to access the system from there? If anything there works, you could try to run a system update to see if there is one ready to be installed. This could in turn then help the Sonos app or the Sonophone app to work...

Failing that, I think you will need to call Sonos to have them investigate this - they have the tools to look at your devices to see what is going on/wrong...

First off, I DESPISE the arrogant app that killed my system!  There is simply no way to completely control my speakers. (Example : late night if i want softly play music I cannot because this now ignorant app has taken control and will no longer let me have total control and if I do try IT decides the volume and which speakers and when it will pause or stop playback.

If this app won’t do the job correctly then all the regression back to 16.2 because at least, IT WORKED!!!

from what I have sonos has actively tried to block users from going back which makes no sense and really borders on arrogance

Sonos says it hears it’s customers but do they really?  I simply will buy no future sonos products unless I see that sonos will give up this new app and regress the app and work on this non functioning in your own labs instead of making us all suffer!

@nyghtwolf 

Old app = not coming back

New app = being fixed

You = wasting your time

After a generation of enjoying and recommending your products and services, I’ve put a hard stop on purchase of all Sonos products for myself and my clients. I seek nothing less than the immediate ouster of Patrick Spence, immediate restoration of previous functionality, and the delivery of a meaningful credit to restore your customers’ good faith. Short of this, I will begin to implement replacement for 37+ Sonos hardware pieces in my own residences and many dozens more in client installations. The disastrous waste of this community’s resources, the disregard evidenced in management’s initial response and slow turnaround, is utterly unacceptable. These are the consequences of your choices.

If the CEO was to be ousted it would have been yesterday when the quarterly earnings were announced. But he appears to have the full support of the board in his plans to fix the app. The transcript of the earnings call is available.

He also won’t be that concerned about the 37 products you’re getting rid of as Sonos will already have received your money for those.