Skip to main content

Hello everyone,

We wanted to take a moment to address concerns regarding our new app that launched in May. At Sonos, delivering an exceptional experience is paramount to all that we do. Unfortunately, your experiences over the past several weeks have fallen short of our commitment to you.

Today, our CEO Patrick Spence published a letter that includes a detailed update on the progress we’ve been making and plans going forward. You can read the full letter here.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and continued support. We are working hard to earn back your trust and are more committed than ever to delivering a consistently great Sonos experience for everyone.

Thank you all for your patience,
Your Sonos Team

Not a live horse either, since they're announcing the “resurrection” of what we all had for so long. It seems that, in the eyes of Sonos, getting back to the status quo is some kind of miracle. Personally, I think this is a giant boondoggle that has caused countless numbers of Sonos customers, including me, unnecessary trouble, time and effort. We've all been turned into beta testers of very bad systems and software.

It seems Sonos are not going to change course here @Toolio. They’ve accepted and apologised for the development delays as they ran into some unexpected issues, it seems. I’m happy to wait patiently, but it’s each to their own.

I can still use the new App with few issues and I have lots of other methods to play music/audio in general to my Sonos speakers anyway including AirPlay, direct control, voice services, line-in/TV audio etc. plus a good many more options besides. So I am just going to wait it out until things are sorted.

Anyone eagerly awaiting wall-to-wall losses and resignations following today’s quarterly earnings report are likely to be a little disappointed:

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/sonos-q3-earnings-preview-stock-1033645218

I have got mine to work with the new android app. Its counter intuitive though. Tried all recommended solutions on WiFi but couldn't even see the devices or set up a new system. Decided to make up 2 network cables and connected my Play 1's to the network using them. Everything worked as normal but here's the strange thing, I disabled WiFi and had the same issue as before. It seems that the devices need to be hard wired but with WiFi enabled.

Anyone eagerly awaiting wall-to-wall losses and resignations following today’s quarterly earnings report are likely to be a little disappointed:

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/sonos-q3-earnings-preview-stock-1033645218

Don’t believe your lying eyes people!  This product is in fantastic shape and a Sonos cloud service outage taking out the ability to use the speakers in your home, connected to music services you pay for, but only on the new app, isn’t really an issue.

Nothing to see here.  Please buy their stock.

I can’t stand not being able to listen to my music. My playlists are sitting there in “recently played” (ha I wish)…. and yet “something is wrong… try again”.

Oh yes something is very wrong.

We don’t need newer, “better”

The whole point of Sonos is to play music and if it doesn’t do that simple thing, then it’s useless. There aren’t many things I would moan about not having access to. Not much you can’t really live without for while. But music is not one of those things I want to live without.

Please consider allowing us to download the last version which worked while you undo the angst you’ve caused.

I’m going to Pop some popcorn and tune in.

https://investors.sonos.com/news-and-events/events-and-presentations/events/event-details/2024/Sonos-Third-Quarter-and-Fiscal-2024-Earnings-Conference-Call/default.aspx

I think I found a workaround for rebuilding my playlists.  As you know, many of us had compilations blow up so (I am working this on a Windows machine) opened the music library and selected “Folders”.  I picked my link to my music (NAS) , then Music.  All my music is there and the compilations are intact.  So I deleted old playlists, built a new one and selected music from the NAS path.  Seems to work fine.

Sorry. No can do that earnings call. It conflicts with today’s Yankees doubleheader. Besides, I’ve never traded Sonos stock before and there’ll be a blizzard in the Seventh Circle of Hell before I’d do it knowing what I know about corporate management now.

So where are all the positive responses to having the ability to downgrade from S2 to S1, with so many thousands of requests for this specific functionality?

So where are all the positive responses to having the ability to downgrade from S2 to S1, with so many thousands of requests for this specific functionality?

Probably enjoying their systems and no longer wallowing in bugs and missing features. 

I’m contemplating doing that at the moment, but for two concerns: (1) I bought a pair of ‘Era’ speakers to replace an old pair of play1 speakers not long before the ‘new’ app went haywire; and (2) given my extremely limited facility with this tech stuff, I fear that a botched attempt to perform the ‘downgrade’ might well render my system completely useless.

At the moment it’s clunky and limited by the post-May 7 app, but I can listen to music so long as I accept some annoying quirks, limitations and crashes, and use the Sonos app in conjunction with ‘phonos+’.

So rather than try to fix this mess myself, and having already waited this out for three months, I’m inclined to await the return of ‘queue editing’ in September or October that Sonos now promises. If that’s a case of ‘fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me’ then so be it.

An interesting, and hard-hitting, video from an influential outlet, Digital Trends:

https://youtu.be/-wU6zNRGDB4?si=be82gPp5ckxkqFud

Hi @Rhonny, the new app will impact revenue … Q3 earnings press release, just posted ...

“Thanks to Ace, our long-awaited entry into headphones, we reported year over year revenue growth and delivered results that slightly exceeded our expectations in our third quarter,” Sonos CEO Patrick Spence commented. “This was overshadowed by the problems that our customers and partners experienced as a result of the rollout of our new app, which in turn has required us to reduce our Fiscal 2024 guidance.

https://investors.sonos.com/news-and-events/investor-news/latest-news/2024/Sonos-Reports-Third-Quarter-Fiscal-2024-Results/

I’m listening into the call which is fascinating (I feel there is ducking of some questions - glad I’m not an investor, I’d be frustrated). Two brand new product lines were ready to ship in Q4 but have been dropped for this year.
And also watching the share price (dropped off a cliff upon issuing of the press release, but is coming back up during the call).
I’m sure I heard mention of £30m additional cost to the business to sort the app.

Patrick stands by the app as the right thing for the business to have done to future proof the business (clearly it wasn’t ready or up to the job) but has doubled down on the commitment to fixing it.

There is certainly no hiding from (or avoiding responsibility around) the app as the major focus issue today on the call… The investors are concerned about restoring customer confidence… Far fewer questions than I’d expected to hear from the investors though. Good job it wasn’t forum members on the phone, especially music library owners…!!

12 weeks+ and the app. can’t still be fixed, then give me a refund of my 3mo. ago purchase of two sonos five’s.

Completely unacceptable. 

Everything i play on my beam is SPDIF / PCM 2.0 and not 5.1 like its allways been. And the sub lives its life like it wants, and forgets setings. Hate the new update, and I only own Sonos in all my flat! Last time I ever invest in Sonos. 100% s**t!!! Check your updates before relese!!!

12 weeks+ and the app. can’t still be fixed, then give me a refund of my 3mo. ago purchase of two sonos five’s.

Completely unacceptable. 

The app is being fixed.
What’s wrong with your Fives? If you give details people might be able to advise?

Or just take the speakers back for a refund.

Everything i play on my beam is SPDIF / PCM 2.0 and not 5.1 like its allways been. And the sub lives its life like it wants, and forgets setings. Hate the new update, and I only own Sonos in all my flat! Last time I ever invest in Sonos. 100% s**t!!! Check your updates before relese!!!

The Beam is only playing the audio that’s sent to it by the connected device - if that’s PCM stereo only, rather than Surround audio, then it’s S/PDIF connected device(s) upstream that you need to investigate.

Completely unacceptable. 

Sonos Fives are playing okay here in the new Sonos App - I use two as a stereo pair with a Sub and they are discovered and play fine. Not seen any issue with those particular speakers.

Hey team, for your consideration: ignore these no-detail complaints from single-post users.

If they cannot articulate the problem they are experiencing, why waste any time replying? It gives the OP more airtime that they do not warrant.

Give it a think!.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  That’s my “community service” effort of the day.

Completely unacceptable. 

90 day for returns, just return them. 

The Beam is only playing the audio that’s sent to it by the connected device - if that’s PCM stereo only, rather than Surround audio, then it’s S/PDIF connected device(s) upstream that you need to investigate.

Hi Ken, thanks. But I havent changed any settings, and I had my Sonos setup for years… and I’m playing 5.1 like allways, its also serching for my speaker, forgetting settings and so on and so on. All after the new update… 🤷🏼‍♂️ I set up alle my Sonos i my flat, not that hard, but this… I dont get it. 🤥

Completely unacceptable. 

No chance of doing that in my case. I listen to the Fives/Sub every day - still the best setup for music in the Sonos line-up and it’s easy to see why they’re the Sonos flagship speaker.

I’m guessing you don’t own a pair of Fives.

Hi Ken, thanks. But I havent changed any settings, and I had my Sonos setup for years… and I’m playing 5.1 like allways, its also serching for my speaker, forgetting settings and so on and so on. All after the new update… 🤷🏼‍♂️ I set up alle my Sonos i my flat, not that hard, but this… I dont get it. 🤥

I notice in some earlier posts that you reported buzzing from your speaker, might it be a hardware fault perhaps, either with the Speaker, or whatever is connected to it? Maybe try the usual troubleshooting of swapping the connecting cable and power-cycling the Home Theatre setup and connected devices. 

I have a Beam Gen 1 (Main Bedroom) on optical and that’s working okay here with DD 5.1 and my Beam Gen 2 (Kitchen) is okay too but that’s using an eARC connection to a TV.

If the issue persists after power-cycling everything then it maybe best to reproduce the issue and immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to help you to resolve the matter.

Completely unacceptable. 

No chance of doing that in my case. I listen to the Fives/Sub every day - still the best setup for music in the Sonos line-up and it’s easy to see why they’re the Sonos flagship speaker.

I’m guessing you don’t own a pair of Fives.

Congratulations. This provides zero help to the poster with speakers not working.