Skip to main content

Hello everyone,

We wanted to take a moment to address concerns regarding our new app that launched in May. At Sonos, delivering an exceptional experience is paramount to all that we do. Unfortunately, your experiences over the past several weeks have fallen short of our commitment to you.

Today, our CEO Patrick Spence published a letter that includes a detailed update on the progress we’ve been making and plans going forward. You can read the full letter here.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and continued support. We are working hard to earn back your trust and are more committed than ever to delivering a consistently great Sonos experience for everyone.

Thank you all for your patience,
Your Sonos Team

The updated App I received today, 8-5-2024, still does not included a play button for an album or the ability to create a playlist.  I use Idagio streaming service for classical music.  I inquired about the lack of a “Play” button previously and was told by email from customer service that this would be fixed in the next update (that was in June).  I find it strange that a simple function like a “Play” button to play an album is still missing from this App.  I can only play one individual track of an album at a time in the Sonos App.  After the track plays I have to click on the next track to hear it.  In addition, there is no way to create a playlist while using my streaming service.  A “Play” button was present prior to the App change in May 2024. A “Play button” is basic functionality for a music player.  In the old days if you bought a tape player or a CD or even used an App there was a “Play” button to start playing the music.  If the manufacturer left that out would you buy it? Sonos has ignored this problem in the revised App and its updates since May. I do not know if others have this problem using other streaming services.  Perhaps I am in the minority using Idagio and therefore the issue will remain on the back burner.  I currently subscribe to HD Radio on Sonos.  I think it is time to cancel that service until the App is actually fixed.  Others should consider this. Continuing to purchase from Sonos adds insult to injury.  I also held off from purchasing a pair of Sonos 5 speakers. 

I’m just going to say this - I’ve shared my pissed off more than once in this community. There’s no defense for “stupid”. 

I work at a big box - not saying which but I’m as depressed as the color of my shirt. People are returning product because of the app and its issues. I love Sonos - I’ve been a Sonos fanatic since the beginning - they screwed the pooch on this one. Patrick makes about $5 million a year. The board of directors are idiots if they continue to support this guy. 

okay I shared more pissed off - apologies

I’m just going to say this - I’ve shared my pissed off more than once in this community. There’s no defense for “stupid”. 

I work at a big box - not saying which but I’m as depressed as the color of my shirt. People are returning product because of the app and its issues. I love Sonos - I’ve been a Sonos fanatic since the beginning - they screwed the pooch on this one. Patrick makes about $5 million a year. The board of directors are idiots if they continue to support this guy. 

okay I shared more pissed off - apologies

Whereas the Sonos App is working okay here (see below). My own thoughts are, if you’re having difficulties with the Sonos App and your own System and have not yet done so already, it might be worthwhile to try to reproduce the issue(s) seen and then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to help you to resolve the matter.

@Ken_Griffiths 

thanks Ken - been doing this a really long time. App sucks -I can get around things and figure things out but customers don’t want to deal with that. Normally people just want it to work (like my wife) and with the new app they get frustrated. I use SonoPhone sometimes when I’m really frustrated or “Lyd for Sonos” on my watch. 

Ever since the new update, I am unable to locate my Play1s. I have followed the steps of resetting them and trying to add them with the app and I keep getting feedback that the play1 is not plugged in. 

Just curious… how many people here with major issues have a mix of Sonos units on WiFi and plugged in? 

Just curious… how many people here with major issues have a mix of Sonos units on WiFi and plugged in? 

You’re referring to SonosNet I assume? - I do not use that myself, as I found SonosNet slow compared to running things entirely on a modern WiFi mesh instead. SonosNet is 2.4Ghz only, whereas a good many Sonos products now use the much faster 5Ghz band - In my own case, except for Home Theatre main products, I have always aimed to put all my Sonos products on the 5Ghz WiFi band and have their SNR level that shows in the new Sonos App, set at 45dB, or higher (see below link). By doing those things my own system around the Home has worked well with the new Sonos App. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/understanding-the-network-details-section-in-the-sonos-app

I do, and the reason I ask is that some time ago I thought I’d re-configured the system to use WiFi… I used to have a Sonos Boost, but decided that once I moved to a Mesh WiFi, there was no point having yet another WiFi network in the mix adding to interference etc. 

However, through probably natural changes, I’d plugged in devices since that and it seems that the device just assumes that being plugged in means create SonosNet… Then, depending on what other devices you have, you can end up with a mix of stuff on SonosNet and on just WiFi. So my Move for example, doesn’t use SonosNet. I was getting laggy volume control and general player control with dropouts too when in group mode…

When I looked at the http status of players I noticed SonosNet in use which I didn’t expect. So I re-did the setup on WiFi, and so far it’s behaving much better. STP and SonosNet are no longer in use. I haven’t had players disappearing, but new app startup is much improved and what function there is works better. 

At least an answer from the CEO, thx

Words are nice, action is key. The app is still close to crap. Slow and missing features. You know it. 

I wonder how long it will take to fix that. What concerns me most is that fixing the problems obviously takes much more time than usual even if this issue has CEO attention - but Sonos has time and programming power to integrate adds into the app. Please stop that immediately. 

While complaining: to be able to write this post I needed to register - ok. But I wonder whether there is any user acceptance testing with Sonos. In the registration process Sonos asks a unique user name and several marketing questions. The latter is annoying but I obviously used an already used user name. So I had to choose an other one - ok. But why on earth did I needed to enter the marketing stuff again as it was deleted - grrr. 

Sonos produces great loud speakers but is not a frontrunner with software development (and registration forms). Please improve. 

Kind regards from a loyal but rather frustrated customer. 

Jürg

I do, and the reason I ask is that some time ago I thought I’d re-configured the system to use WiFi… I used to have a Sonos Boost, but decided that once I moved to a Mesh WiFi, there was no point having yet another WiFi network in the mix adding to interference etc. 

However, through probably natural changes, I’d plugged in devices since that and it seems that the device just assumes that being plugged in means create SonosNet… Then, depending on what other devices you have, you can end up with a mix of stuff on SonosNet and on just WiFi. So my Move for example, doesn’t use SonosNet. I was getting laggy volume control and general player control with dropouts too when in group mode…

When I looked at the http status of players I noticed SonosNet in use which I didn’t expect. So I re-did the setup on WiFi, and so far it’s behaving much better. STP and SonosNet are no longer in use. I haven’t had players disappearing, but new app startup is much improved and what function there is works better. 

Yes a modern WiFi setup, or Mesh setup, is much better with Sonos these days. I personally would not go back to using SonosNet.

Modern products like these:

• Move/Move 2
  • Roam//Roam SL/Roam 2
  • Era 100
  • Era 300

…no longer use SonosNet anyway.

The Sonos products listed below also are now capable of using the much faster 5Ghz WiFi band - so if it’s practical to use that band with a WiFi mesh and have all SNR levels of 45dB or higher (as mentioned previously), then that’s become my own preference with a Sonos system, even if I have to blacklist/steer the Sonos product(s) onto that faster band…

• Play:1
  • Play:3
  • Play:5 (Gen 2)
  • Sub (Gen 1)
  • Sub (Gen 2)
  • Era 100
  • Era 300
  • Move 2
  • Roam
  • Roam 2
  • Roam SL
  • Five
  • Move
  • One (Gen 1)
  • One (Gen 2)
  • One SL
  • Port
  • Sub (Gen 3)
  • Sub Mini
  • SYMFONISK Bookshelf (Gen 2)
  • SYMFONISK Floor lamp
  • SYMFONISK Picture frame
  • SYMFONISK Table lamp (Gen 2)
  • SYMFONISK Bookshelf (Gen 1)

Today’s app update details below, if it helps quell fury for those with any of the issues ‘fixed’: 

Current software version

80.06.04 (Android)
80.06.03 (iOS)

Release date: 8/6/2024

In this update:

This update contains new features for Sonos Ace. To use these features, make sure your Sonos Ace is up to date using the Sonos app.

• Introduced TV Audio swap for Sonos Ace from Arc, Beam (Gen 1), Beam (Gen 2), and Ray on Android
  • Added TV Audio swap for Sonos Ace from Beam (Gen 1), Beam (Gen 2), and Ray on iOS
  • Added S2 to S1 downgrade tool
  • Improved smoothness and reduced latency for Group Volume controls on iOS
  • Added mute buttons for individual products in Group Volume controls
  • Added Group Volume controls from the Now Playing screen on iOS
  • Added the ability to clear the queue on iOS
  • Improved performance for large queues on iOS
  • Added the ability to “forget system” on Android
  • Improved reliability for speech enhancement and night mode settings on iOS
  • Improved reliability when starting playback from a playlist on Android

“We developed the new app to create a better experience, with the ability to drive more innovation in the future, and with the knowledge that it would get better over time.”

This is the problem in a nutshell: thinking “the App” is the experience. It’s not. THE MUSIC is the experience and if the app is in the way or I even think about the app, then it has become distracting and takes away from the experience.  When the APP becomes the focus to the point it justifies breaking the MUSIC, that is when SONOS has lost the plot.

If I have to go to the app for any other reason beyond selecting different music or setting up a component, then the app has failed.

@Ian_S 

How do I set my system up to NOT use SONOSNet?  About half of my devices are wired and several more use some sort of WIFI which I assumed was from my network.  My understanding is that any wired device like a Port will create or become part of a SONOSNet to allow non-wired devices (other than newer devices like a ROAM which can’t use SONOSNet) to connect to.

I’m not certain SONOSNet is in use. All my devices show as having obtained an IP address from the Router and I can Ping them, but oddly ALL but the Roam are shown as wired connections in my Router management.  So, I wonder if they show as wired because they are going through SONOSNet and a wired device like one of the Ports?  How do I get a Play:1, for example, off of SONOSNet?

Thanks.

Point a web browser at one of your Sonos speakers using:

http://192.168.xx.xx:1400/support/review

And you should get a simple list of speakers in your Sonos system. Then click one of them followed by 

/proc/ath_rincon/status

And you’ll get a list of network configuration. IF any speakers are on Sonosnet, you’ll see sonosnet on the Mode line… if they all say INFRA (station) then they are all on your WiFi… 

I expect all the wired devices will say Sonosnet. In the app (if you can) go into each speaker settings for the wired ones and turn off the Wifi… Then power them all down. Power up the ethernet connected ones first and do the above check again to make sure they’re not on Sonosnet, if they aren’t the section will be mostly empty. 

To be honest, I’ve learned just to not use the app.  My Apple and my Sirius apps seem to play to the various speakers without issue.  Kind of a pain, but it works.  Also, it seems (if I got the stick ticker correct), their sticks have gone nothing but down since Mar-May timeframe.  

Perhaps it is no longer a company that cares what their customers think.  

I love @SONOS and love the CEO making a statement. The issue I have is that Patrick states that when the app was released you “found” a number of issues. That wasn’t the problem. The problem was that you literally removed features people used every day. That was a deliberate decision by the developers. So, the apology rings hollow because this statement makes it sound like a software bug and not an oversight or a conscious decision. 

So why no downgrade in play store so we can go back to working version why this mess is being fixed? Seems more to this than said

So why no downgrade in play store so we can go back to working version why this mess is being fixed? Seems more to this than said

I understand that’s because the previous Sonos controller App (or some elements of it) apparently no longer work with the updated Sonos firmware that’s in use by the new Sonos App.

i understand that’s because the previous Sonos controller App apparently no longer works with the updated Sonos firmware that’s in use by the new Sonos App.

But it is within Sonos’s power to restore the firmware to the pre-debacle version as well as make the old app available again.  I suspect this would be easier than continuing to flog the dead horse.

Maybe, but option should be there, mine is sonos 5 s2 was very happy with old app and being able to go back to it would alleviate all the angst towards sonos, simple option and don't understand why not when this issue has destroyed their reputation. I have no way to play my music library and refuse to pay for streaming to get music I already have. 

I have a few friends including a few in hospitaly that are now unhappy not being able to offer their music library for functions, not just home users unhappy. Less platitudes by sonos and more action us what has been asked.:)

i understand that’s because the previous Sonos controller App apparently no longer works with the updated Sonos firmware that’s in use by the new Sonos App.

But it is within Sonos’s power to restore the firmware to the pre-debacle version as well as make the old app available again.  I suspect this would be easier than continuing to flog the dead horse.

It’s clearly not a dead horse as they’ve already outlined the new App’s development roadmap until the end of October and no doubt more development will likely follow after that.

Maybe, but option should be there, mine is sonos 5 s2 was very happy with old app and being able to go back to it would alleviate all the angst towards sonos, simple option and don't understand why not when this issue has destroyed their reputation. I have no way to play my music library and refuse to pay for streaming to get music I already have. 

I have a few friends including a few in hospitaly that are now unhappy not being able to offer their music library for functions, not just home users unhappy. Less platitudes by sonos and more action us what has been asked.:)

If your friends are in hospitality and using Sonos for functions, would they not just be using Sonos Pro instead?

It’s clearly not a dead horse as they’ve already outlined the new App’s development roadmap until the end of October and no doubt more development will likely follow after that.

Maybe.  But I suspect it will be lame for the rest of its miserable life 🙂.  And a “development roadmap” that just takes us back to square one after six months of unnecessary pain hardly inspires confidence in the leadership at Sonos.  Especially as the new architecture is so SLOOOOOW.

No, like many, they were very happy with the way it was, s5  worked and put in some time ago.

If they need to change, it won't be sonos

@Wary Traveller & @ernmalley,

It’s working okay here, if you find the Sonos App is slow and you’re already running all on your WiFi signal, rather than SonosNet, which usually is slower than a modern routers WiFi signal, perhaps try to steer your compatible devices onto the 5Ghz WiFi band with an SNR level of 45dB, or higher. I found that helped to speed things along and it improved the UX.

See attachments in my earlier post showing the App working on an old iPhone XR.

Not a live horse either, since they're announcing the “resurrection” of what we all had for so long. It seems that, in the eyes of Sonos, getting back to the status quo is some kind of miracle. Personally, I think this is a giant boondoggle that has caused countless numbers of Sonos customers, including me, unnecessary trouble, time and effort. We've all been turned into beta testers of very bad systems and software.