Skip to main content

Hello everyone,

We wanted to take a moment to address concerns regarding our new app that launched in May. At Sonos, delivering an exceptional experience is paramount to all that we do. Unfortunately, your experiences over the past several weeks have fallen short of our commitment to you.

Today, our CEO Patrick Spence published a letter that includes a detailed update on the progress we’ve been making and plans going forward. You can read the full letter here.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and continued support. We are working hard to earn back your trust and are more committed than ever to delivering a consistently great Sonos experience for everyone.

Thank you all for your patience,
Your Sonos Team

You must be one of the few, or a Sonos employee!

Or someone with excellent attention to fine tuning his router, mesh, phone and app? It’s not sorcery that the app works for me.

Don't worry, your day will come. I'm betting my “excellent attention” rivals yours, yet my Sonos system’s behaviour differs day by day without any changes in my otherwise well-functioning network. Much is down to Sonos’s new “call home” cloud implementation. About 10% of the time my favourites won't load...until I refresh the app five seconds later. Sometimes firmware updates work, sometimes not. Last night the Calm Radio service stopped playing on Sonos for a few hours, but worked perfectly well in my network with the Calm app, with the third-party software of my (excellent) Wiim gear and when played via Roon. And the list goes on. When something works one second but not the next, then works again a few seconds later, it's not my network. When things that functioned perfectly for months stopped working or became problematic after the “courageous” update, it's not my network. When I have zero network problems with anything other than Sonos, it's not my network. When I have identical Sonos issues in Sonos setups in homes in two countries with completely different network gear (and both with gigabit internet service), it's not my network(s).

But, yes, it's not sorcery.

Damn well said! Thank you.

This Rhonny person had pissed me off with the holier than though approach to what is clearly a major problem 

You have spelt out the best reply to Rhonny.

At this point, encouraging words and ‘we’re working on it’ no longer gets it.  For two months I have been without music, or anything else I used to do with my Sonos One.  I’ve tried multiple different troubleshooting methods listed in tech forums, all to no avail.  If Sonos wants to “win back” my trust, they can send me a formal apology signed in ink by Patrick, and they can send along a brand new, current generation replacement for my Sonos One.  I’ll be researching other brands with which to replace these useless boat anchors otherwise.  If they want my trust back after this fiasco, it will take them bending over backwards to keep me, as I have bent over backwards spending many hours of my own time trying to get this up and running again without recompense.  I do not care about the company executives bonuses.  I do not care about the company's profits or stock holders.  If the company needs to take a huge loss to fix this, then do it.  Send each of us something that works, and several months of free service.  Or, say goodbye permanently to me (and likely a lot of other folks.) 

Shame on you Sonos !!! 😡

3 mois pour un début d'excuses 🙄

Aucun respect des clients

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Belle unanimité !

Or someone with excellent attention to fine tuning his router, mesh, phone and app? It’s not sorcery that the app works for me.

Don't worry, your day will come. I'm betting my “excellent attention” rivals yours, yet my Sonos system’s behaviour differs day by day without any changes in my otherwise well-functioning network. Much is down to Sonos’s new “call home” cloud implementation. About 10% of the time my favourites won't load...until I refresh the app five seconds later. Sometimes firmware updates work, sometimes not. Last night the Calm Radio service stopped playing on Sonos for a few hours, but worked perfectly well in my network with the Calm app, with the third-party software of my (excellent) Wiim gear and when played via Roon. And the list goes on. When something works one second but not the next, then works again a few seconds later, it's not my network. When things that functioned perfectly for months stopped working or became problematic after the “courageous” update, it's not my network. When I have zero network problems with anything other than Sonos, it's not my network. When I have identical Sonos issues in Sonos setups in homes in two countries with completely different network gear (and both with gigabit internet service), it's not my network(s).

This Rhonny person had pissed me off with the holier than though approach to what is clearly a major problem 

You guys…

It’s not holier than thou, I’m just saying it works for me. I’m allowed to say that. 

Here’s something Patrick Spence and SONOS could actually do: Offer customers, at no charge, appopriately-sized boxes and packing material for each piece of registered SONOS equipment. This would facilitate the shipment of units from people who have given up on SONOS to those who haven’t. This thread and others seem to indicate that there are plenty of people in both groups, so for SONOS to facilitate that market would be win-win. And he could go further and include with each shipping box a pre-paid UPS label with address to be filled in by the sender. Just a thought.

Here’s something Patrick Spence and SONOS could actually do: Offer customers, at no charge, appopriately-sized boxes and packing material for each piece of registered SONOS equipment. This would facilitate the shipment of units from people who have given up on SONOS to those who haven’t. This thread and others seem to indicate that there are plenty of people in both groups, so for SONOS to facilitate that market would be win-win. And he could go further and include with each shipping box a pre-paid UPS label with address to be filled in by the sender. Just a thought.

So you don’t want any money for your speakers? If that’s the case, I’ll send you a box?

Of course the seller would want the money, but that’s what Venmo and Paypal are for.

I think it means they are lost...not listening to customer concerns and so busy thinking about new toys that they forgot the service they were supposed to provide.

Yes, or in other words, “when you’re in a hole, stop digging!” When your software already does not properly support the existing product set, stop introducing more products. I understand the software/app development team and the new products team are probably separate, so critics here will say Sonos can simultaneously fix the app and introduce new products. But at the same time, it’s just logical that demanding the app support more products can at best be neutral to the app, or much more likely complicate and destabilize it. When the level of app dysfunction is already an existential threat to the company, and the app team has already fallen behind, pause new product introductions! Yes that will piss off Wall St., but certainly not more than this app disaster has done?

You guys…

It’s not holier than thou, I’m just saying it works for me. I’m allowed to say that. 

Read your response  to my post again.  I am having major problems like thousands, nah, probably millions of others. We're all fed up with Sonos.  Others who have read my post have also slated you for your response.

Your response was all about how great you are at adjusting things.

We have paid out for a premium product. We expect it to work from the app (like it has continously up to May). We should not expect to have to adjust router, mesh. ...... all the settings say you do to make it work. If you are actually doing that, then you should be complaining also, because you simply shouldn't have to because a major multi-million dollar organisation foists a totally sub standard app onto us all, knows it's utter garbage, and then after 12 weeks of suffering no ability to really play / operate the system, sets out a road map to recovery, inside a really weak letter of apology.

Who's right eh?

Enough.

Let's not bother with any further exchanges. 

Sonos currently stinks, and the majority of it's users are saying the same.

If I recall, weren’t all of the remaining issues with the app to have been resolved by the end of July?  Now it’s pushed out until at least October.  I’m one of the people waiting on playlist management to be restored.  How in holy hell does it take five months to restore that component?  Something is not right here in regard to the explanation or the apology.  I am absolutely enraged at how badly Sonos has treated all of us existing customers.  I’m also willing to bet that not many of us even bought the Ace headphones after Wi-Fi streaming was not a part of the release specs.  Pathetic.

Hello everyone,

We wanted to take a moment to address concerns regarding our new app that launched in May. At Sonos, delivering an exceptional experience is paramount to all that we do. Unfortunately, your experiences over the past several weeks have fallen short of our commitment to you.

Today, our CEO Patrick Spence published a letter that includes a detailed update on the progress we’ve been making and plans going forward. You can read the full letter here.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and continued support. We are working hard to earn back your trust and are more committed than ever to delivering a consistently great Sonos experience for everyone.

Your Sonos Team

Nice sentiments when you say you appreciate our patience, but I’d remind you: we don’t have a choice here.  As to continued support, again: it was SONOS that dropped its support of US and our systems.

Given the mess that’s been created, I suspect it won’t be long before SONOS is sold off to a music streaming company for pennies, in hopes that the new owner can clean up the mess.  Perhaps it’s time to just make the controller software open source would offer SONOS users more hope than what we have today?

Hello everyone,

Your Sonos Team

Seriously -- we had to find out he errors.  This app is horrific.   you ruined a high end music experience.   Was anyone held responsible and fired?   They clearly should have been. 

Hello everyone,

Your Sonos Team

Hello everyone,

Your Sonos Team

I can’t tell you how frustrated I am with your new application and the incorrect information I got from countless calls to your support team.

I have two homes with two separate systems and over 12+ speakers. It worked flawless w/o interruption until the new application happened.

Music went in and out, systems forgot the wifi. Countless hours of support to tell me that my wifi is slow or I needed a new Mesh WIFI system which are ALL incorrect.

I had major issues with music going in and out on all streams of music. I use Apple Music the most.

I finally was about to sell all my Sonos speakers and go to Apple Home Speakers and decided to try one last option. I decided to try airplay from Apple Music to all the Sonos speakers. NO ISSUES AT ALL. NO SKIPPING, NO STOPPING, NO DROPS. NOTHING. Flawless like it was before the new Sonos Application was installed in May 2024.

So what this tells me is that it is the Sonos Application and not my wifi or new Mesh System,

Please let your Support Team know it is the Application because I spent money on a. new Mesh system to try to solve this continuous issue and it was not needed. It is the awful application.

You should have decided to postpone the update in May to September/October. I strongly expect you to make such a decision next time for sure.

We observed that your process of making a go/no-go decision was quite "buggy"; I recommend that you improve the quality of such processes, not only the quality of software itself.

You should have decided to postpone the update in May to September/October. I strongly expect you to make such a decision next time for sure.

We observed that your process of making a go/no-go decision was quite "buggy"; I recommend that you improve the quality of such processes, not only the quality of software itself.

Hopefully there gets to be a next time.

When I search, it only works in English.
Previously, it was searched in other languages and was able to use keyboards.

Why do I get a problem if I just update it?

Shame on you Sonos !!! 😡

Indeed. And shame on all the retailers who are continuing to sell Sonos products to unsuspecting customers, despite being fully aware of the problems. And double shame on those in the relevant media whose silence on this matter is an endorsement of Sonos’s behaviour. Kudos to Wirecutter for calling it out.

I feel like this letter would land better if they send owners some 50% off vouchers and 12 months free Sonos HD Radio. 

It probably wouldn’t play reliably on their new app.

Shame on you Sonos !!! 😡

Indeed. And shame on all the retailers who are continuing to sell Sonos products to unsuspecting customers, despite being fully aware of the problems. And double shame on those in the relevant media whose silence on this matter is an endorsement of Sonos’s behaviour. Kudos to Wirecutter for calling it out.

What drivel.  You know full well that there are  hundreds of thousands — millions of systems out there that are fully working.  I have bought two new amps since May.  They were added to my account without issue and are performing as expected.  I will be buying another this week.  Thank goodness retailers haven’t bowed to the will of those who like to shout the loudest in an attempt to impose their will on others.  

Shame on you Sonos !!! 😡

What drivel.  You know full well that there are  hundreds of thousands — millions of systems out there that are fully working.  I have bought two new amps since May.  They were added to my account without issue and are performing as expected.  I will be buying another this week.  Thank goodness retailers haven’t bowed to the will of those who like to shout the loudest in an attempt to impose their will on others.  

You’re taking a huge risk mentioning your system is working well! That is tantamount to treason on this forum. I love that people would rather complain and go for months with a system that doesn't work than perhaps ask others how their system is set up in case there is something that can be adjusted. The loudest ones simply shout back “We shouldn’t have to change anything” - no, that’s right, but if you did, you might get you're system working. It’s so utterly futile. 

But we ought to keep quiet about having no issues because this is a complaints-only forum now - it’s not a place to be if you just want to help people.

Shame on you Sonos !!! 😡

You’re taking a huge risk mentioning your system is working well! That is tantamount to treason on this forum. I love that people would rather complain and go for months with a system that doesn't work than perhaps ask others how their system is set up in case there is something that can be adjusted. The loudest ones simply shout back “We shouldn’t have to change anything” - no, that’s right, but if you did, you might get you're system working. It’s so utterly futile. 

But we ought to keep quiet about having no issues because this is a complaints-only forum now - it’s not a place to be if you just want to help people.

Hi you’re absolutely right of course.  However my account is being deleted this afternoon at my request and I’m past caring.  Unlike you and people like Ken I never invested my time in trying to help others as it is a thankless task as people just double down on their abuse.  For my part I just like to pick out the nonsense comments people make as it pains me to have them go unchallenged.

Everyone here seems to think they have the ear of Sonos, and are falling over themselves to go one-up on how disgusted / appalled / disappointed they they are.  However it is lost on them that this is a community for Sonos users and by and large Sonos aren’t listening here.  I understand the frustration but when many cannot express their thoughts without swearing or abuse it’s time to leave.  It really is like watching a bunch of hoodlems trash their neighbourhood.  This used to be a chill place to hangout but no more.  Of course comments will follow like ‘you won’t be missed’, or similar.  It’s all very childish.  I’m keeping my Sonos gear but I have no interest in hanging out here any more.  

Shame on you Sonos !!! 😡

Hi you’re absolutely right of course.  However my account is being deleted this afternoon at my request and I’m past caring.  Unlike you and people like Ken I never invested my time in trying to help others as it is a thankless task as people just double down on their abuse.  For my part I just like to pick out the nonsense comments people make as it pains me to have them go unchallenged.

Everyone here seems to think they have the ear of Sonos, and are falling over themselves to go one-up on how disgusted / appalled / disappointed they they are.  However it is lost on them that this is a community for Sonos users and by and large Sonos aren’t listening here.  I understand the frustration but when many cannot express their thoughts without swearing or abuse it’s time to leave.  It really is like watching a bunch of hoodlems trash their neighbourhood.  This used to be a chill place to hangout but no more.  Of course comments will follow like ‘you won’t be missed’, or similar.  It’s all very childish.  I’m keeping my Sonos gear but I have no interest in hanging out here any more.  

That’s a shame, there are always people you can help that have less experience, and that can be very rewarding, best jog on past the haters in life….

Shame on you Sonos !!! 😡

You are being purposely toxic and antagonistic in this thread. The topic of this thread is SONOS’ massive screw up apology letter, no one is asking for help here.