News

The new Sonos Mobile App & Web App

Related products: Software News
The new Sonos Mobile App & Web App

Today we are introducing the most extensive app redesign ever, creating an unprecedented streaming experience that allows listeners to organize their favorite playlists, stations, albums and more from over 100 services on one customizable Home screen.

Home Screen

The new Home screen provides faster access to Sonos system controls with one easy swipe up, making tab to tab jumping a thing of the past. As a leader in sound experience that’s focused on creating a better way to listen, Sonos intentionally redesigned the app on a modern software platform for an easier, faster and better experience that can support more rapid innovation.

The reimagined app supports all existing S2 products and will be available globally through a software update for the S2 mobile app.

100+ streaming services, one Home screen

The redesigned Sonos app prioritizes a listening experience that’s human - allowing you to bring your true favorites front and center and giving you more control to make your streaming experience your own.

• Get into your music (and off the app) faster: No need to tap between tabs — the new Home screen serves up all your favorite content and controls, all in one place. Quickly jump back into your recently played, browse libraries and recommendations from your preferred services, and fill your home with music and all the sounds you love.
  • Customize and curate: Enjoy unparalleled curation by designing your Home screen to reflect how you listen. Pin rows of your favorite content and services; then move, edit, or rearrange them to your liking.
  • Search every streaming library: Look for an artist, song, podcast, or audiobook across all your preferred streaming apps at once via an easy-to-use search bar that’s always available right on your Home screen.
  • Elevated system control: Swipe up from the bottom of your Home screen to seamlessly control your entire system and access a visual overview of what’s playing on each of your products, quickly group speakers, and dial in on the perfect volume from anywhere in the app. 

Accessible from any modern web browser, a brand new web app allows listeners the same seamless system control as the mobile app.

The new Web App

The Web App will be available alongside the redesigned mobile app on May 7, 2024.

Want to find out more about the new Sonos App? Have a look at the Info Hub section of the community for a complete rundown of the new user interface.

Here you can find the full press release. 

Please can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong because even though I believe I’ve turned off auto updates, both my iPad Pro and now one of my Android phones have been infected with this mess of a version.

I turned off auto updates in the app and also unchecked the option to allow auto update in the google playstore but this morning I now find that my main Android phone has this new version.

I daren’t turn on the other phones in case they auto update and I’m left with a system that is totally unfit for purpose for my needs.

Just adding my voice to the crowd. Use our system to play from NAS, rarely use ‘services’ - new app is hopeless for this use case. Please let us go back to the 16.1 version (on iOS so no way to go back)

If no rollback option soon I will be downgrading to S1. Yes it’s rubbish compared to s2 16.1 but it’s way better than the new version.

Sonos please listen to all feedback, forget being ‘courageous’ and sort out this mess today not over the next few months.

I purchased Sonophone yesterday and got back to normal!

Big thank you - it will be sonopad for us.

Today we are introducing the most extensive app redesign ever, creating an unprecedented streaming experience that allows listeners to organize their favorite playlists, stations, albums and more from over 100 services on one customizable Home screen.

Home Screen

The new Home screen provides faster access to Sonos system controls with one easy swipe up, making tab to tab jumping a thing of the past. As a leader in sound experience that’s focused on creating a better way to listen, Sonos intentionally redesigned the app on a modern software platform for an easier, faster and better experience that can support more rapid innovation.

The reimagined app supports all existing S2 products and will be available globally through a software update for the S2 mobile app.

100+ streaming services, one Home screen

The redesigned Sonos app prioritizes a listening experience that’s human - allowing you to bring your true favorites front and center and giving you more control to make your streaming experience your own.

• Get into your music (and off the app) faster: No need to tap between tabs — the new Home screen serves up all your favorite content and controls, all in one place. Quickly jump back into your recently played, browse libraries and recommendations from your preferred services, and fill your home with music and all the sounds you love.
  • Customize and curate: Enjoy unparalleled curation by designing your Home screen to reflect how you listen. Pin rows of your favorite content and services; then move, edit, or rearrange them to your liking.
  • Search every streaming library: Look for an artist, song, podcast, or audiobook across all your preferred streaming apps at once via an easy-to-use search bar that’s always available right on your Home screen.
  • Elevated system control: Swipe up from the bottom of your Home screen to seamlessly control your entire system and access a visual overview of what’s playing on each of your products, quickly group speakers, and dial in on the perfect volume from anywhere in the app. 

Accessible from any modern web browser, a brand new web app allows listeners the same seamless system control as the mobile app.

The new Web App

The Web App will be available alongside the redesigned mobile app on May 7, 2024.

Want to find out more about the new Sonos App? Have a look at the Info Hub section of the community for a complete rundown of the new user interface.

Here you can find the full press release. 

App is terrible, worst thing you have ever done. No music library, no alarms or timers. Basic features are missing or just don't work. It's shocking, unfinished and needs to be pulled until it is

Anyone received this email?  I find it upsetting and also insulting.  They must think that all their customers are complete idiots.

Definitely not better. How dare they even suggest that.

If this communication was approved by the CEO, that is a clear statement that they do not value the early adopters.

I thought exactly the same as I’ve seen this email yesterday evening. I thought of extending my system to two more rooms of my house lately but now it’s clear, the lifecycle of my existing Sonos equipment will run out and I’ll have a deeper look to their competitors, like Teufel.

I use a local library, with bonob or SMB access with a NAS, and well this has disappeared with the new version.
How can a new version be so regressive?

Because their target audience is now subscribers to streaming services who want to listen to algorithm derived playlists and What's trending. I wouldn't be surprised if support for personal music libraries is withdrawn in the not too distant future.

The same here please add the function again and a good search function will be welcome

Sonos released a message (although not seen it here?) that they were being courageous and you sometimes need to take steps back to move forward. How more condescending can they get?

The new app mmmmh there not so much changed and its not really stable. I have my era 300 in a surround group with the arc and sub. I would like a second group to set my era 300 as a stereo pair

Sonos released a message (although not seen it here?) that they were being courageous and you sometimes need to takes steps back to move forward. How more condescending can they get?

100% agree they should doing better

Got this message yesterday on my SONOS S2 App. It is basically saying, that support for local music libraries hosted on NAS or PC using SMB1 or http for access inside a private network will end in a couple of month. This is not restricted to the NEW Sonos app!

Please can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong because even though I believe I’ve turned off auto updates, both my iPad Pro and now one of my Android phones have been infected with this mess of a version.

I turned off auto updates in the app and also unchecked the option to allow auto update in the google playstore but this morning I now find that my main Android phone has this new version.

I daren’t turn on the other phones in case they auto update and I’m left with a system that is totally unfit for purpose for my needs.

On the Android devices you can uninstall the new version and download the last version from March from an apk mirror site and install that

Sorry to say but would be insane if they do that.i  have a big library in lossless 

Got this message yesterday on my SONOS S2 App. It is basically saying, that support for local music libraries hosted on NAS or PC using SMB1 or http for access inside a private network will end in a couple of month. This is not restricted to the NEW Sonos app!

This has been in for a week or so. It's saying support for less secure SMBv1 is being removed. It doesn't acknowledge though that there is a bug in the current version whereby some users need to enable it for Sonos to re-index.  The left arm has no clue what the right arm is doing.

Many on Support had no clue the new App had even been released.

SMB1 I can kind of understand - it’s extremely old and massively insecure. The HTTP one not sure - maybe it doesn’t use HTTPS. Either way, Sonos is going out of its way to p*ss off its loyal long-time users.

So it will support smb2 and 3 then it would be oke

SONOS please listen to us - you really should come out and say you f*cked up and give all users a way back to the old app version - this new version is in no way ready for prople to use as even basic features are missing.

Don’t be stubborn on this - just come clean and roll it back - you are loosing all trust and credibility with your loyal costumers. Own you mistake!

I like the new design philosophy but make it a seperate download for people to choose and use if they want or need it (for new products?). It makes for a nice design preview… !

More than right

Dear Sonos.  The new app looks great and feels easy to use for actually locating media,  but none of that matters to me as much as the fact that the functionality to manage the queue has been removed!  I mean what was Sonos thinking??? This is critical for me as it means I can no longer decide what is playing and in what order!  Please address urgently.  When I locate media I need to be able to choose whether it plays next, or at the end of the current queue etc.  I also need to be able to edit the queue without starting again.  

I've looked through the forum and am amazed at the amount of negative feedback. Sonos representatives are silent. It looks like they understand that they screwed up, but they don’t understand how to get out of this situation without losing face and the value of the business. The situation is more than sad. Empty, brainless, ambitious Managers manage engineers, alas, the world has gone crazy. Now they will start convincing us that the application is great and we don’t understand anything.

I've noticed that you can log in to the new Web app with the same loginname and password as here on the community (I can't remember but i assume that's the same login as is for the mobile app). 

Shouldn't there be some form of MFA on this Web app for security? 

Some feedback on navigation

[In case relevant, I’m using the Android app on a Pixel 6A with dark theme switched on]

When I’m away from the home screen the top left corner of the app shows “< SONOS”. After a couple of days with the app I’ve only just realised that “<” and “SONOS” are separate buttons and the SONOS button takes you back to the home screen regardless of where you are in the app. I think you can do a couple of things to make it clearer that a shortcut direct to the home screen exists and is not part of a back button to previous screen.

1. Perhaps you could shade the background slightly for each target/button to make it clear that they are separate buttons (like you have done with the “edit home” button on the home screen).
  2. I don’t understand why you have used the word “SONOS” for a shortcut to the home screen. It doesn’t scream “this is a shortcut to the home screen” to me. I would suggest using a house icon instead. I think house icon would be universally recognised as a shortcut to the home screen. Furthermore I would suggest placing this icon in the top right corner of the screen next to the profile and system settings icons and have it always present. When on the home screen you could have it greyed out or alternatively keep it active and if someone presses it whilst already on the home screen you could flash up some text saying “you are already on the home screen”  

Feature request for favourites screen

The home screen provides ability to rearrange the sections (Recently Played, Favorites, Services, Sources) according to your preference. However, there is no option to rearrange the sections within the Favorites screen (Stations, Albums, etc). Please add this.  

Feedback on opening the app

Sometimes when opening the app you are greeted with a screen which says “No products found” and it takes a few seconds for the app to show the connected system. If this delay is unavoidable I would suggest changing this initial screen to say “Searching for system” (or something similar) and only switch to “No products found” screen if nothing is found after 10-15 seconds of searching.

The new app is dreadful and unintuitive.

• Complete lack of queue management features such as Edit, Delete, Play Now, Play Next, Add to End of Queue.
  • Search doesn’t include Music Library
  • No way to add or edit Alarms.

It feels like a beta

Sonos - you have to give us a way to roll back to the previous version until you’ve properly finished and tested this app. As it stands, it’s virtually unusable.

As has been stated elsewhere queue management and other ‘missing’ items have not been removed per se, rather they have not yet been added in to the rewrite of the app.  The end result is the same, I get that — and releasing the app prematurely has been a huge misstep.  However queue management has been slated for an update I believe in July.  With all the bad press, maybe it’ll come sooner - who knows!  

I would not be so confident with all of the ‘missing’ items. Have you seen anywhere that they were working on supporting searching local libraries ? This feature had already been skipped in the so-called “new search”.

I’ve had a Sonos system for many years. I bought it for the expressed purpose of being able to stream XM radio and HOS. If I can’t do that reliably, then I might as well trash the thing. I’ve got a lot of money sunk into this system but I’m seriously thinking about trashing it and buying something else. I don’t know anything about Heos but I’m going to check them out. But first I’m going to check with Sonos to see which products they work with and how well they work together. This is complete and utter kaka. 

One good thing about Sonos (in spite of the issues with the new app) is they have an API enabling third parties to build Sonos controller apps. I haven’t yet looked at third party controllers myself but it might be worth looking at these before deciding to ditch Sonos. Perhaps the dissatisfaction with the official Sonos app will even encourage even more developers to build and release third party Sonos controller apps.

Also, with a different manufacturer you could potentially run into the same issue we are currently experiencing with Sonos. At some point they will do a major system/software update and its hard to know in advance who will do a good job of that and who won’t.

I see the press release boasting about the “fantastic” new app is still there: Sonos Unveils Completely Reimagined Sonos App, Bringing Services, Content and System Controls to One Customizable Home Screen

How about a press release saying “We are sorry” and a timeline for reversing the broken features?

Hours wasted last night after updating our android phones to the new sonos app. Hey, wheres my music library gone? Where’s the album art gone? message says some missing info from this content. What a mess!!!! So it’s not our system, it’s an untested piece of crap that has ruined our music enjoyment. You MUST give us the opportunity to switch back to previous version and do it soon so please DO IT  NOW!