Skip to main content
News

The long-awaited first headphones: Sonos Ace

Related content: Hardware News
The long-awaited first headphones: Sonos Ace

Today we are announcing the launch of our first-ever headphones, Sonos Ace, marking the brand’s long-awaited entry into the personal listening category. As a leading innovator in sound, Sonos is now using its renowned audio and design expertise to transform the way we listen on headphones.

The premium over-the-ear Bluetooth®️ headphones feature breathtaking lossless and spatial audio, world-class Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) and Aware Mode, as well as the most precise and immersive home theater experience possible using Sonos’ new TrueCinema technology. Sonos Ace will be available globally in both Black and Soft White.

Sonos Ace

Superior Sound on a Personal Level 

Artfully crafted and masterfully tuned, Sonos Ace defies expectations with a range of features that bring the best of Sonos to headphones. 

• Indulge in high-fidelity sound: Savor every second of your favorite song, podcast or friend’s phone call thanks to Sonos Ace’s two custom-designed drivers that render each frequency with impeccable precision and clarity.
  • Your own private cinema: Sonos Ace lets you enjoy a surround sound home theater experience while giving your household the gift of quiet. Instantly swap the TV audio from a compatible Sonos soundbar to Sonos Ace with just the tap of a button. Spatial audio with Dolby Atmos envelops you in dramatically detailed sound from all directions and dynamic head tracking keeps you centered in the action even if you need to grab a blanket or reach for the snack bowl. Coming later this year, Sonos’ all-new TrueCinema technology precisely maps your space then renders a complete surround sound system for a listening experience so realistic you’ll forget you’re wearing headphones.
  • Turn the world on or off: Make personal listening even more personal with Active Noise Cancellation (ANC), or activate Aware mode when you want more awareness of your surroundings  - be it walking on a busy street or working in the office.

Day-long battery life and ultra-fast charge: Listen or talk for up to 30 hours with an extended, energy-efficient battery life. Ultra fast charging ensures you’ll never miss a beat - get 3 hours of battery life with a quick 3-minute charge using the included USB-C cable.

Sonos Ace Controls

Elegant Design and Long-Lasting Comfort

Sonos Ace was made to look and feel as good as it sounds. Its distinctive, slim profile beautifully blends  metal accents with a sleek matte finish, complementing any style no matter how fast trends move. 

• Endless Comfort: Sonos Ace uses lightweight, premium materials for an airy fit that gently hugs your head. Its pillowy soft memory foam interior is wrapped in vegan leather, while a custom headband and ear cups that hide the hinge create the perfect acoustic seal without catching on hair. 
  • Intuitive Design: Wearing and storing Sonos Ace is a breeze - contrasting colors inside the ear cups subtly signal which way to put the headphones on and beautifully-tactile buttons make controls easy to use while wearing them. When you’re done listening, put Sonos Ace away effortlessly thanks to its fold flat design that fits snugly in its lightweight travel case. 
  • Responsibly Made: Sonos Ace is built to last and made for daily wear. The headphones feature replaceable ear cushions, circular materials that allow us to use 17% less virgin plastic, and a 75% recycled felt travel case made from plastic bottles. Engineered to drive energy efficiency, wear detection pauses your music when you remove Sonos Ace from your ears, minimizing the need for charging. 

Sonos Ace will be available on June 5 for $449 USD (499 EUR, 449 GBP, 699 AUD). For more information, visit sonos.com, and follow along on @sonos.

Hello.

I purchased the Ace and I have to say, I really like it.

The sound is awesome, I like how many different ways I can connect them but there are a few issues I am wondering if you can address in a future app update.

When I have the Ace connected to my computer with USB-c, there seems to be a slight delay between key presses and the associated action. I notice this mostly on a few games that I play.

I do not have the same issue when connected via USB-c to my iPhone, however.

Would it be possible to improve the call quality of the mics? People can hear me well enough but I am told I sometimes sound like I am in a tube or a metal box. This seems to happen if the USB-c cable is connected.

Would it be possible to add the ability to mute the mics? If I need to have a quick discussion with my wife, for example about what we’re having for dinner I’d like to have the same ability a lot of gaming headsets seem to provide but which is sorely lacking in a lot of headphones--the ability to mute the mics. I was thinking perhaps the power button could be utilized for that. A single press can mute, and a double-press can unmute that way you know good and well you’re muted and it’ll be hard to purposely unmute without meaning to.

Thank you so much

I’m not considering buying these until you fix your dumpster fire app. 

I have an pair and TBH they have seriously impressed me  The sound quality is fantastic, and the TV Swap sounds superb. The noise cancelling is also excellent and I can’t understand why some reviews don’t acknowledge this. I have a pair of Airpids Max and the Ace beat them in every possible way. The app is ok. It will be improved. But don’t miss out. These Ace headphones are so so good. 

I’m not considering buying these until you fix your dumpster fire app. 

I have an pair and TBH they have seriously impressed me  The sound quality is fantastic, and the TV Swap sounds superb. The noise cancelling is also excellent and I can’t understand why some reviews don’t acknowledge this. I have a pair of Airpids Max and the Ace beat them in every possible way. The app is ok. It will be improved. But don’t miss out. These Ace headphones are so so good. 

I hope you continue to enjoy your headphones and they bring you happiness  every time you put them on your head  

“The app is OK”

🤣🤣🤣 come on even the biggest Sonos fans acknowledge it’s a freaking mess. 

Don't be like that @Bumper , they've joined especially to tell you this news.

My new Sonos Ace Headphones arrived yesterday… Look and sound amazing but the app states that they require an update. Everytime I go through the update process it gets to 100 and then fails to update stating to Try Again. Is there a problem or a fix.

Mine STILL does this as well as a small electronic "creaking" sound in the right earthat is heard when no music is being played (assume music drowns it out)  have you fixed the update issue?

I like how Sonos avoided addressing any of the justifiably upset people in LinkedIn and just replied to just one comment that was the one and only person saying they were excited. Brutal way to add to the upset. 

Unfortunately the Ace headphones were gifted to me by family as I love the Sonos products. The headphones are great but so very disappointed they wont connect to my system, though I hear that upgrades are coming. Why release a long awaited product like this without this connectivity and whilst app is a disaster.
Sonos seem to have lost customer focus.

Est il possible d’associer deux casques Ace avec une Beam ou Arc ?

Non, seulement un Ace pour ce moment… Peut-être il va arriver - des autres ont demander la meme, alors...

Non !

1 seul Ace par bare de son - décevant 

How they went to all the trouble of releasing a set of headphones and not making them a Zone Player beggars belief really.

Still no TrueCinema update…entering into one month late territory soon

With Sonos' reputation for excellence, the Ace headphones are likely to be a fantastic addition to their lineup, blending style with cutting-edge audio technology. Can't wait to see how they perform!

Looks amazing and read all features its a must try product 

What exactly do you mean talking about „true cinema“?

Wow… You let me use it with my Arc only with TV!?! If I play records via my port to my arc, no - can't use headphones!?! WHY ARE YOU LIMITING THE PRODUCT IN THIS WAY?!? I have to say, do not buy this, as the company producing it don’t believe in music, and deliberately cripple their customer’s experience cause there is zero reason you don’t allow this… Disgrace, and I regret buying these crippled headphones.

In June, Sonos had a video describing the feature. Map the room like TruePlay. Intend to have more of an “in room” sound vs headphone isolation. Promised to deliver “later in July” but it not here yet and no one is discussing...

In June, Sonos had a video describing the feature. Map the room like TruePlay. Intend to have more of an “in room” sound vs headphone isolation. Promised to deliver “later in July” but it not here yet and no one is discussing...

Can you please post a link of the video or something else where it is mentioned? I really suppose there might be a misunderstanding and it’s the 3D audio (spatial audio) option for Ace in tv swap mode you are talking about. 
https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/listen-to-home-theater-audio-on-sonos-ace-with-tv-audio-swap

Wow… You let me use it with my Arc only with TV!?! If I play records via my port to my arc, no - can't use headphones!?! WHY ARE YOU LIMITING THE PRODUCT IN THIS WAY?!? I have to say, do not buy this, as the company producing it don’t believe in music, and deliberately cripple their customer’s experience cause there is zero reason you don’t allow this… Disgrace, and I regret buying these crippled headphones.

Imo not everything that is desired to be possible really is possible. As you might imagine some cpu, memory and network resources are required to get your analogue audio signal from the turntable to your Arc. Then on top a further transmission to Ace imo could be too much because of technical limitations. In TV mode the signal source for Arc isn’t wireless, it’s directly from Arcs digital input via hdmi arc. So that will be less ambitious. 

Can you please post a link of the video or something else where it is mentioned? I really suppose there might be a misunderstanding and it’s the 3D audio (spatial audio) option for Ace in tv swap mode you are talking about. 
https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/listen-to-home-theater-audio-on-sonos-ace-with-tv-audio-swap

It was a.”Behind the scenes” live video on June 11. It's not posted by Sonos on its YouTube site as far as I can tell, but was discussed in this prior thread 

@GC3 

As I said the only thing I can imagine to be meant by that is „spatial audio“ and „head tracking“.

@GC3

As I said the only thing I can imagine to be meant by that is „spatial audio“ and „head tracking“.

Feel free to search the internet for the term “TrueCinema” if you want to learn more.

@GC3

Feel free to search the internet for the term “TrueCinema” if you want to learn more.

Sonos mention TrueCinema in the initial post in this thread, don’t even need to go to google 🤣

It’s weird they’ve been silent on this with it being ~2 months overdue now  

@GC3

Sonos mention TrueCinema in the initial post in this thread, don’t even need to go to google 🤣

It’s weird they’ve been silent on this with it being ~2 months overdue now  

Yeah TrueCinema was mentioned briefly by Peter Pee in his online YouTube channel too when reviewing the Ace, shortly after it was first launched. I’m not entirely sure what it is/how it may work, but assume it is Trueplay tuning for the Ace, so that it mimics the sound when sat at the sweet-spot in the (TV audio swapped) tuned HT room/listening environment. (Just a guess on my part).

Not sure when we may see the feature, as it seems that the Sonos focus for the time being has been switched to improving the new Sonos App.

@GC3

@almazri

Ok, found that on the initial post… 

Coming later this year, Sonos’ all-new TrueCinema technology precisely maps your space then renders a complete surround sound system for a listening experience so realistic you’ll forget you’re wearing headphones.

A search on the web btw isn’t very helpful. „TrueCinema“ is no standard and any manufacturer can use it for its own marketing on different things. 
But however… 

„Later this year“ said on the initial post imo now hopefully just means „this year at all“. 😉

And just speaking for myself I don’t expect too much of such an option, whatever it will be in detail. Headphones are headphones… and yes, you can do a lot by using software virtualization and it sounds „different“. But to be honest… imo that never will get close to a ht system of dedicated speakers. „Maps your space…“ for headphones… ok… Marketing on its best. 
But hey… I‘m still curious and maybe Sonos is going to surprise me.