Skip to main content

Today we are announcing the launch of our first-ever headphones, Sonos Ace, marking the brand’s long-awaited entry into the personal listening category. As a leading innovator in sound, Sonos is now using its renowned audio and design expertise to transform the way we listen on headphones.

The premium over-the-ear Bluetooth®️ headphones feature breathtaking lossless and spatial audio, world-class Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) and Aware Mode, as well as the most precise and immersive home theater experience possible using Sonos’ new TrueCinema technology. Sonos Ace will be available globally in both Black and Soft White.

Sonos Ace

Superior Sound on a Personal Level 

Artfully crafted and masterfully tuned, Sonos Ace defies expectations with a range of features that bring the best of Sonos to headphones. 

• Indulge in high-fidelity sound: Savor every second of your favorite song, podcast or friend’s phone call thanks to Sonos Ace’s two custom-designed drivers that render each frequency with impeccable precision and clarity.
  • Your own private cinema: Sonos Ace lets you enjoy a surround sound home theater experience while giving your household the gift of quiet. Instantly swap the TV audio from a compatible Sonos soundbar to Sonos Ace with just the tap of a button. Spatial audio with Dolby Atmos envelops you in dramatically detailed sound from all directions and dynamic head tracking keeps you centered in the action even if you need to grab a blanket or reach for the snack bowl. Coming later this year, Sonos’ all-new TrueCinema technology precisely maps your space then renders a complete surround sound system for a listening experience so realistic you’ll forget you’re wearing headphones.
  • Turn the world on or off: Make personal listening even more personal with Active Noise Cancellation (ANC), or activate Aware mode when you want more awareness of your surroundings  - be it walking on a busy street or working in the office.

Day-long battery life and ultra-fast charge: Listen or talk for up to 30 hours with an extended, energy-efficient battery life. Ultra fast charging ensures you’ll never miss a beat - get 3 hours of battery life with a quick 3-minute charge using the included USB-C cable.

Sonos Ace Controls

Elegant Design and Long-Lasting Comfort

Sonos Ace was made to look and feel as good as it sounds. Its distinctive, slim profile beautifully blends  metal accents with a sleek matte finish, complementing any style no matter how fast trends move. 

• Endless Comfort: Sonos Ace uses lightweight, premium materials for an airy fit that gently hugs your head. Its pillowy soft memory foam interior is wrapped in vegan leather, while a custom headband and ear cups that hide the hinge create the perfect acoustic seal without catching on hair. 
  • Intuitive Design: Wearing and storing Sonos Ace is a breeze - contrasting colors inside the ear cups subtly signal which way to put the headphones on and beautifully-tactile buttons make controls easy to use while wearing them. When you’re done listening, put Sonos Ace away effortlessly thanks to its fold flat design that fits snugly in its lightweight travel case. 
  • Responsibly Made: Sonos Ace is built to last and made for daily wear. The headphones feature replaceable ear cushions, circular materials that allow us to use 17% less virgin plastic, and a 75% recycled felt travel case made from plastic bottles. Engineered to drive energy efficiency, wear detection pauses your music when you remove Sonos Ace from your ears, minimizing the need for charging. 

Sonos Ace will be available on June 5 for $449 USD (499 EUR, 449 GBP, 699 AUD). For more information, visit sonos.com, and follow along on @sonos.

Our house is very open. If I had Ace headphones and access through wifi I would just use them in my office and ditch the Play 3 so no one else has to listen to what I listen to (very different musical tastes than the family). 

Why don’t you use the Ace, or any headphones connected to the phone in your pocket or the computer in your office? Wifi connected Sonos headphones would be great but bluetooth will work for what you describe.

So, what you are saying @Corry P is that even if I have an Arc set up and want to listen to Apple Music or other music service through my tv (Apple TV) using the app(s) on that device I cannot do that? That seems odd.

If the audio is coming through your TV, as would be the case with a music app (say Apple Music) on AppleTV, to your Arc via HDM-ARC/eARC or optical, than the Ace can play that audio.

What you cannot do is use the Sonos App to start playback of Apple music on your Arc, then flipped the switch on Ace to have the Apple music audio play on your Ace headphones.

Despite the trainwreck the app is, I want a centralized place to access my music services (as I have a half dozen I use). That was the benefit of having a universal location like the Sonos app instead of hopping around at home. I want that at home and I want that on a plane and I want that anywhere using my Ace.

I don’t think Sonos app will ever have the capability to be a music player for multiple streaming services while not on your home network.  The streaming service would much prefer you use the app they created for their service in that scenario.  Maybe conditions can change one day where that sort of thing make sense for Sonos and music services, it obviously makes sense for consumers, but it’s not likely anytime soon.

Our house is very open. If I had Ace headphones and access through wifi I would just use them in my office and ditch the Play 3 so no one else has to listen to what I listen to (very different musical tastes than the family). 

Why don’t you use the Ace, or any headphones connected to the phone in your pocket or the computer in your office? Wifi connected Sonos headphones would be great but bluetooth will work for what you describe.

I would be with
@Jeffrey_35 here, I can certainly see wearing headphones in the office or anywhere else in the house and moving round the house (get coffee etc). In this scenario the phone would not necessarily be in the pocket so I could get the double advantage of not loosing my Bluetooth signal and having the same standard user interface on which to be selecting my source.

I like the idea of Sonos headphones. My AirPods Max are awfully heavy for extended listening. But I don’t understand this product.

If I take Sonos Ace out of a drawer, hit the Sonos Voice button, and tell it to play me some music; what does Ace do?

Nothing, unless it’s BT paired to my phone? Reaches out to Sonos over Wifi and plays music (this is what you would think would happen)? Reaches out to my Arc and plays music through that into my headphones (because reasons)?

Somebody please explain to me how this works.

It’s even more confusing that the disaster with the app initially seems to have been driven by this product, but the app isn’t even required. The people most likely to benefit from the spatial audio are exactly the same population as have been throroughly alienated over the past few weeks, for no obvious benefit.

The app absolutely *is* required for Arc connectivity. It states (rather ambiguously) in the Ace features that this feature is currently only supported via iOS, with Android support following 'soon'.

I find it extremely troubling that Sonos do not already have Android functionality implemented for the headphones' most unique selling point, and the fact that there is no date for this functionality to be introduced even more so.

I will not even be considering purchasing these headphones until Android compatibility is implemented.

Android compatibility for the TV Swap feature won't be implemented at launch. But we are determined to add Android compatibility asap.

Okay, but *why* won't it be implemented at launch?

I can understand that Trueplay isn't possible on Android due to the lack of microphone standardisation on manufacturer's handsets, but what is Sonos' excuse this time?

Is there some kind of security policy in Android that prevents this type of functionality? I find that difficult to believe as (I assume) the app simply tells the Arc to assign the Ace to its group, after which control is exclusively between Ace and Arc without the app acting as a middle man.

Is there some kind of Trueplay integration that we haven't been told about that makes an iOS device mandatory for initial TV Audio Swap setup?

Or has Sonos simply decided that Android users are not a priority in this case?

Being 'determined' to add Android compatibility is all well and good ‐ I'm 'determined' to finish landscaping my garden this year, but that's absolutely no guarantee it will actually happen. Sonos still has two weeks to implement Android functionality before launch, but you (and other Sonos reps) have categorically stated that it will *not* be implemented by June 5th. That suggests very strongly that there is a significant issue with Android functionality that is not easily fixed. What's the story?

OMG what a #SonosMess this is…. 

• The Arc does NOT use Wifi and it does NOT group into your Sonos system, it only SWAPS your TV audio… => why would I use this headset???
  • You need the Sonos app for iOS to set up TV Audio Swap. Support for Android devices is coming soon => so the product is not ready!
  • You can use TV Audio Swap with the Arc and Arc SL. Support is coming soon for Beam (Gen 1 and Gen 2) and Ray => so the product is not ready!

• And don’t forget: the new Sonos App doesn’t work, has limited functionality and ridiculous restrictions, and has a poor user experience… 

#ByeByeSonos

The ACE headphones look very nice and seem to be getting good reviews. But I already have expensive blue tooth headphones that I like a lot. I don’t use Sonos soundbars, so without the ability to control streaming, via Wi-Fi, from the Sonos app means they are no better than my existing head phones. Very disappointed.

One thing I find interesting is that the explanation for why the new app was rushed out so quickly, still missing features many users hold dear, is that the Ace headphones required the new app and they didn’t want to delay its release. How many years have we been waiting for the long-rumored Sonos headphones while they took the time to get it right? Seems they could have waited just a little longer while they got the app ready. Sonos needs to take a cue from Apple. Don’t release products that aren’t ready. It’s a surefire way to rapidly lose years of built up loyalty. 

One thing I find interesting is that the explanation for why the new app was rushed out so quickly, still missing features many users hold dear, is that the Ace headphones required the new app and they didn’t want to delay its release. How many years have we been waiting for the long-rumored Sonos headphones while they took the time to get it right? Seems they could have waited just a little longer while they got the app ready. Sonos needs to take a cue from Apple. Don’t release products that aren’t ready. It’s a surefire way to rapidly lose years of built up loyalty. 

It’s possible that the need to increase sales right now drove this as units sold are down ~240K players and revenue is also down compared to last year. If they wait it’s another bad year. CEO and other execs want their bonuses and hold onto their jobs. Just speculating could be wrong.

It’s possible that the need to increase sales right now drove this as units sold are down ~240K players and revenue is also down compared to last year. If they wait it’s another bad year. CEO and other execs want their bonuses and hold onto their jobs. Just speculating could be wrong.

I’m sure you’re right and that something like that was in play. There were likely reporting factors involved in pressuring them towards the wrong decision. 

There is a lot to unpack in this thread, lol. I’m not as angry as most, I have been patiently waiting for the release. Now that it’s here the one thing I was expecting was having the headphones as a “zone” like the rest of the eco system. I guess my real question here is do these have the hardware necessary for this and can WiFi zone support added in an update? I understand at launch not having all features is one thing, but if it can’t be added via a software update I may have to wait for gen 2.

I don’t care if these headphones are the best headphones ever made, I will never buy them due to the fact that the entire reason for the botched app rollout was because of these headphones. They rushed the app to coincide with their release. As some notable fellas once said, “Suck it!”

Thanks for the clear answer on support for multiple sets of headphones.

Let me give you a user scenario that is my life. My wife and I frequently watch movies after we’ve put the kids to bed. We live in an apartment where if we crank up our Arc, surround speakers, and subwoofer with Atmos any hope of sleeping chilldren is gone. If you allowed 2 pairs of headphones that still had Atmos support you would have just gotten a pre-order for 2 sets of headphones.

Thanks for the clear answer on support for multiple sets of headphones.

Let me give you a user scenario that is my life. My wife and I frequently watch movies after we’ve put the kids to bed. We live in an apartment where if we crank up our Arc, surround speakers, and subwoofer with Atmos any hope of sleeping chilldren is gone. If you allowed 2 pairs of headphones that still had Atmos support you would have just gotten a pre-order for 2 sets of headphones.

I would guess it’s not so much a matter of ‘allowing’ 2 Aces to connect to an Arc, but whether the Arc has the hardware needed to send atmos audio to two Aces at the same time.  I have little doubt Sonos would be happy to sell you 2 of them if it was just a matter of flipping a switch.

I have the Sonos Playbar and I was disappointed to hear that these headphones aren’t compatible with the Playbar. So many of us are happy with our Playbar and would love to add the Ace to our setup, but Sonos is ignoring all of our feedback. It’s really strange that Sonos is rushing these products and ignoring their existing user base. I can only hope that they improve.

I have the Sonos Playbar and I was disappointed to hear that these headphones aren’t compatible with the Playbar. So many of us are happy with our Playbar and would love to add the Ace to our setup, but Sonos is ignoring all of our feedback. It’s really strange that Sonos is rushing these products and ignoring their existing user base. I can only hope that they improve.

Unfortunately, the Playbar is over a decade old, and headphones weren’t even thought of a decade ago.  Even if the technology used to connect the headphones existed back then, Sonos would have to have a time traveller on staff to realize it needed to be incorporated into the unit.  I’m sure if they could include the Playbar in Ace support, they would, but you can’t reengineer something made a decade ago to current specifications. 

Hi @melvimbe  

When the headphones are bonded to an Arc, will they be able to play audio that the Arc zone/room is playing regardless of source?  I understand that they will play TV source, but if you are playing audio from a streaming source, aux input in another zone (turntable), or local library, will the headphones play that audio?

The linked-to soundbar must be actively playing the source for Ace to play too.

Ok, so if I’m understanding this correctly, I can set the Arc to play Sonos Radio, for example, then do the swap thing with Ace to have Sonos radio play through the Ace headphones.

If the headphones are playing audio, will the Arc and bonded speakers be able to play audio as well?

Only if Ace is playing from a Bluetooth source. If playing Arc’s audio, Arc will not play too.

Understood.  This is somewhat unfurtunate as it means that a hard of hearing member of the family can’t listen to Ace while the rest hear audio through the Arc.

I see that Sonos is selling a bundled pair of headphones.  Can 2 headphones be bonded to the same Arc?

No. We’ve conducted user research and learned the most common use case for wearing headphones with a home theater is for viewing content alone, so you don’t disturb others in your household. We’ll continue to learn how customers are using Sonos Ace and explore additional features over time.

Ok, the bundle seems a little odd then.  I suppose it’s there for people with multiple home audio room or those who want to have a dedicated Ace for home theatre and anther for bluetooth only sources.

The product page literally says -

“Quietly share an immersive home theater experience with someone when you swap TV audio from Sonos Arc.”

From the marketing above it’s logical to believe that two (2) Ace headsets can be connected to the Arc at the same time to share in a home theater movie experience. That’s makes sense as I would assume many Sonos users are couples in a household.

From the marketing above it’s logical to believe that….

… Sonos also said that they'd “taken great care to ensure that this update only enhances your Sonos experience. Your products, features and services will work as they always have, and all your settings will be saved.” and we all know how that worked out. I suppose it's up to the public to ever believe what Sonos ever says again.

Apparently, people who complain are a 1% minority.

The bugs and issues being raised lately (mostly unacknowledged) is incredible.

The only impact for Sonos to take notice will be in sales. Difficult to find any enthusiasm for ‘headphones’ when I’m looking a few grands worth of speakers that can’t play my library anymore, interesting to be a 1%er if that is the case. Reminds me of Jobs telling everybody they don’t need to ‘own’ their music.

AjTrek1, Sonos has lost all credibility with me.  I would have probably bought the headphones as I have bought several other Sonos products and been very happy with them.  But this app rollout was a game changer for me.  Knowingly rolling out an app they knew was not ready and would screw over their existing customers just because they needed it out to sell the headphones is unacceptable to me.  I can’t bring myself to buy the headphones and reward that behavior, even if the headphones were the best ever made.  Personally I won’t even consider buying another Sonos product until the CEO is replaced. CEOs that don’t care about their customers don’t all of the sudden start carrying once new headphones come out.  The CEO saying 99% of the people love the new app is insulting.  Saying rolling out an app that wasn’t ready was “courageous” doubly insulting.  The CEO is betting people will move on and forget about this debacle.  I can’t speak for everyone but I will never forget.  I don’t feel angry over all this, anger fades over time.  I feel betrayed, and that stays with you forever.  

This is repeatedly touted as “Our most requested product” by Sonos. Why exactly did you guys think people were requesting headphones from you? You clearly didn’t understand if you thought a pair of headphones that don’t connect to the Sonos network were what people wanted. 

What, did you think none of us had ever heard of Bose or Sony? I was looking forward to these because it seemed like a great solution to listening to records at night without disturbing everybody else. But I already own a perfectly good pair of bluetooth headphones that doesn’t connect to wifi. 

The best you could do was saying these will connect with a Sonos soundbar (and only the most expensive soundbar at that) via bluetooth. How is that a plus exactly. Did nobody point out that the majority of TVs and streaming devices these days already support bluetooth headphones? Who exactly was this for?

The best you could do was saying these will connect with a Sonos soundbar (and only the most expensive soundbar at that) via bluetooth. How is that a plus exactly. Did nobody point out that the majority of TVs and streaming devices these days already support bluetooth headphones? Who exactly was this for?

Not to be pedantic, but a Sonos rep has stated that the connection to the soundbar will be through the same 5 GHz private Wi-Fi as the surrounds and sub, not Bluetooth.  Which gives hope that a Wi-Fi connection is possible, and the headphones, like the terrible launch of the app, are missing intended features at the time of release. 

They won’t connect to your existing Sonos system for listening to music at home 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 WTF!?

And watching films with them only works if you have an Arc, not a Beam or Ray by the looks of it. So they’re just Bluetooth headphones. I’ll stick to my Sony mdr1000x’s. At least their app works. 

So you’ve made everyone update to an app they don’t want, that doesn’t work properly, stops you from even listening to your own local music on the hardware you own in your own home without an internet connection, all for headphone features for headphone you can’t integrate with the rest of your Sonos system. Great work execs. Those poor devs, really feel for them. 

Hit the nail right on the head jay house

If today's marketing email is anything to go by, Sonos are now actively downplaying the Ace's 'TV Audio Swap' feature. No mention of it at all. Oh dear.