Skip to main content
News

Sonos Voice Control now has weather information

Related content: Software News
Sonos Voice Control now has weather information

Now you can get up to date weather information with Sonos Voice Control (SVC).

Just ask SVC how the weather will be and it will tell you.

SVC will use weather information from Foreca.com, but the voice processing will still happen on the device only and not in the cloud. This ensures that your privacy is guaranteed.

This also means weather information will not be available while you are using the speaker in Bluetooth mode.

In order to use the new weather feature you just need to set your location in the SVC settings as shown in the following animation:

Note: You need to update the app to the latest version to be able to set the location.

Set weather location

Below you can find some general commands you can use:

“What’s the weather now/today/tomorrow?”

“What’s the forecast this afternoon/evening?”

“What’s the weather at 4pm?”

“Is it raining this afternoon/evening?”

“Is it gonna rain tomorrow?”

“Give me the forecast for this week/next week?”

“What will the weather be next weekend?”

Here are some commands asking for more specific weather conditions:

“What time is the sunset today/tomorrow?” 

"What's the air quality forecast for tomorrow?"

"What's the temperature"

"What's the wind speed"

"What's the barometric pressure"

You can also ask SVC if you need a specific accessory:

“Do I need an umbrella today?”

“Should I bring a jacket this afternoon?”

“Do I need sunscreen this weekend?”

List of supported accessories

boots scarf
coat snowpants
flip flops sunglasses
gloves or mittens sunhat
hat sunscreen, sun lotion or sunblock
jacket sweatshirt or sweater
rainboots swimsuit or bathingsuit
raincoat umbrella
sandals  

To be clear, no firmware update required for this SVC feature?

Just set my location in the new Sonos App and it all works fine. Thanks for the info. 👍

Are there any regional restrictions? Updated my Beam to v80, app on the v80 too, but I don't have the settings and the Voice Assistant is just telling me to set the location in the app.

Are there any regional restrictions? Updated my Beam to v80, app on the v80 too, but I don't have the settings and the Voice Assistant is just telling me to set the location in the app.

I’m not sure about regional restrictions as I can’t find that mentioned anywhere, but I did find this detailed link on the steps required to setup the weather location - see this Sonos Support link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/set-or-change-your-location-for-sonos-voice-control-weather-requests

I hope it helps. 👍

I’m not sure about regional restrictions as I can’t find that mentioned anywhere, but I did find this detailed link on the steps required to setup the weather location - see this Sonos Support link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/set-or-change-your-location-for-sonos-voice-control-weather-requests

I hope it helps. 👍

Oh, my bad, I was looking under My System - Voice - Sonos Voice Control.

Thank you, found it.

Is this update being rolled out in stages by location? I'm in the UK and my S2 app still says it's up to date on V16.1  

Is this update being rolled out in stages by location? I'm in the UK and my S2 app still says it's up to date on V16.1  

I’m in the UK and it’s in the Apple iPhone/iPad App Store.. but I guess some regions may get the update sooner/later. Maybe check again tomorrow.👍

I had to disable all voice control due to the new software. this feature is now unusable.  Sonos support basically said bummer for you, maybe a fix in the next few weeks.

Garbage support.

Forget about music playing services that we completely hosed up with the new app, but hey - since you have to use your phone to play music now that we broke the system, you can get the weather from us. 🙄

Have Sonos completely lost the plot?  I didn’t spend thousands for a weather report system, and no offense to Weather Report, who I probably cannot listen to now.  I don’t who’s driving yall’s boat, but you just hit a bridge, dummies.

It’s tone deaf that not all engineers were re tasked to fix the disaster of an update. I, and many others, have entire systems completely unusable. That we bought to play music. But that’s cool, let’s release weather updates in the middle of that, that’ll make it better. 

Fantastic, the new app allows to ask about the weather (which any smart assistant can do), yet there are a host of important features missing regarding playing music ie:

1. Search of local libraries
  2. Easy Navigation of local libraries
  3. Ability to edit queues
  4. Sleep timers

Which are just a few of the features missing. Then there are the multitude of bugs.

All this because of a pair of poxy headphones that no one in their right mind will purchase.

Just set my location in the new Sonos App and it all works fine. Thanks for the info. 👍

Like many others. Alexa is no longer working on my system. Support told me it’s due to the date/time not being set in the app. Which we can’t change. Has to be done as part of a release.

Cannot believe this wasn’t picked up in testing. Alexa is basic functionality.