Sonos introduces New Search

Related products: Software News
Sonos introduces New Search

Hi all,

Last week we started rolling out New Search, a new feature that will make it easier to find content in the Sonos app.

What’s New Search?

We’re introducing a new single search box that searches across all categories (Artists, Songs, Albums, Playlists etc), to improve your overall search experience. This means that you no longer need to select a category to search in ahead of time. Instead, the search results will be broken down by category, and aggregated across all your content services, which you can easily switch between at the top of the search menu. 

When performing a search, you will be able to narrow your search results by content service, rather than by category.

New Search on Sonos

To try New Search, tap on “Try the New Search” in the search menu.

New Search will be rolling out to all users over the coming weeks, with all users receiving the feature by 25th April [edited from 18th April].

This means that not all of you will have access to New Search right away, but you can expect it soon. 

Will New Search look through all of my audio sources?

New Search does not currently support searching through personal music libraries, “On this Device” (Android) content, or music services with library functionalities.

Why is my specific music service not being searched?

While the vast majority of content services on Sonos are available in New Search, there are some that are not yet compatible. We’re working with our partners to add more music services to New Search and look forward to rolling these out over time. In the meantime, all music services continue to be compatible with classic search.

I liked the classic search option, can I use that instead?

You can switch between Classic Search and New Search by navigating to the search menu and tapping the buttons labeled “Switch to Classic Search” and “Try the New Search” respectively.

Is Classic Search going away? 
No, users will continue to have the option to use classic search .

Please note: We can’t grant you access to New Search prior to it being available to you.

For further information, please see how to switch between New Search and Classic Search.

Like I said I almost ONLY use Apple music and it NEVER shows up as the top option - I would like to set a default search mode so i don’t have to take three actions to get where I want to be in the search function. Happy to chat more 

check out this loom to see what i see 
https://www.loom.com/share/0c70c27727ed443a9e75dd6d2840234f?sid=4c0b8794-eec6-4b90-9503-085d23f59163

Hi @abj0028 

Thanks for the video - all I can say is it looks like you use Soundcloud more than Apple Music, but I believe you when you say you don’t. Assuming there isn’t anyone else in the house who listens to Soundcloud more than you listen to Apple Music, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

New Search leaves a lot to be desired 

Hi @Enzo Zucchini 

I don’t have Apple Music to compare directly, but New Search looks fine to me:

Can you find R.E.M. on Apple Music using Classic Search? If so, I can only really recommend using that instead.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Enzo Zucchini 

I don’t have Apple Music to compare directly, but New Search looks fine to me:

Can you find R.E.M. on Apple Music using Classic Search? If so, I can only really recommend using that instead.

I hope this helps.

Looks like the “R.E.M.” New Search issue is specific with Apple Music not showing any result as I don’t get anything either, but other music services correctly populate with the artist.

R.E.M. will however appear under New Search for Apple Music using “michael stipe” as the search query…

Is YouSee Musik (Denmark) not supported in the new search?

I get a red exclamation mark and a notification that the service it isn’t responding.
Classic search is working fine with this service.

“r e m” will also work for Apple Music ie. spaces instead of full stops, but not “rem”

Hi @Elprebse 

Yes, YouSee Musik isupported by New Search.

I recommend you remove your YouSee Musik account from Sonos and add it again, to see if that helps matters.

Remove a music service account from Sonos
Add a music service to Sonos

I hope this helps - if it does not, please let me know.

“r e m” will also work for Apple Music ie. spaces instead of full stops, but not “rem”

Yep, that works for me.👍

Hi @Elprebse 

Yes, YouSee Musik isupported by New Search.

I recommend you remove your YouSee Musik account from Sonos and add it again, to see if that helps matters.

Remove a music service account from Sonos
Add a music service to Sonos

I hope this helps - if it does not, please let me know.

It did not solve it, sorry. Problem persists.

Hi @Elprebse 

Thanks for trying that step.

Could you please recreate the issue then submit a support diagnostic, posting the received number here? Thanks. Please also include a screenshot of the New Search results page with the red exclamation mark. Thanks.

Hi @Corry P 

Hi @Elprebse 

Thanks!

I’ve been told we were already aware and are looking into the situation along with YouSee Musik. 

I’ll let you know when I hear more.

Why the hell would “new Search” not search your linked personal “Music Library”.  Why would we use internet bandwidth or spend extra money when we have all our own favorite music at home?  Sonos must really hate it’s own customers.  I hope classic search never goes away, or I will.

This is the sort of cr^p that will put Sonos out of business. You clearly have no interest in supporting users to continue to access their own music libraries.

I invested a lot in your hardware when it was class leading, and when the app actuality worked reliably. The only thing keeping me with my current Sonos is the cost of replacement (because you have such poor cross compatibility too!). Rest assured, my days of buying more Sonos are over.

Great - will be even better when it includes my music library. I trust my system will know that that is what we listen to most?

Sadly Sonos knows that most folks don’t use local music libraries so it is a low priority.