News

Sonos Introduces Move 2

Related products: Hardware News
Sonos Introduces Move 2

Hi all,

Today we are announcing Move 2, the next generation of our best-selling Move speaker, that delivers spacious stereo sound, up to 24 hours of battery life, and an ultra durable water resistant design that’s ready to party. Packed with sound innovation and sustainable design enhancements, Move 2 is our most sustainable portable product to date and the first to bring stereo sound outdoors.

Sonos Move 2 unboxing

A Premium Portable Powerhouse That Does It All

Move 2 is upgraded inside and out to include all-new hardware and software with next-gen acoustics that deliver wide stereo sound and deep bass no matter where you’re listening. 

• Supercharged sound, now in stereo: Move 2 comes with a completely overhauled acoustic architecture including dual-tweeters that deliver spacious stereo sound and crisp vocals allowing you to feel the emotional charge of a live performance. Feel the beat from its precision-tuned woofer that produces deep, dynamic bass - even when listening outdoors.
  • Customize your system: Concurrent Bluetooth and WiFi capabilities allow for increased flexibility - stream via Bluetooth to a stereo pair of Move 2 speakers to expand your space or seamlessly group Move 2 with the rest of your Sonos system via Wi-Fi to crank your party up a notch.
  • Sustainably designed to outlast any adventure: Move 2 reduces idle energy usage by more than 40%, incorporates recycled plastics, and uses a removable and replaceable battery to extend its product life - all wrapped in a responsibly designed package that uses sustainably sourced material, zero virgin plastic and is curbside recyclable. 

More power to you: Move 2 offers up to 24 hours of battery life - double the playback time of the original Move - with a USB-C port that can charge your phone or electronics on the go, making it the perfect companion to power weekend road trips or outdoor gatherings.

Sonos Move 2
  • Versatile sound you can move around: With its ultra durable design and IP56 rating, Move 2 is built to withstand accidental drops, splashes, rain, dirt, and sun. With automatic Trueplay tuning, Move 2 continually optimizes the sound for its surroundings, so you’ll always get the best listening experience no matter where life takes you. 
  • Elevated design and controls: Move 2 is available in an Olive colorway to complement neutral indoor and outdoor aesthetics, as well as Black and White colorways that blend seamlessly with other Sonos products. Move 2 features the same new intuitive user interface as the recently launched Era products, including a capacitive volume slider for simple control, or use Sonos Voice Control, Amazon Alexa, the Sonos app, Apple AirPlay2 and Bluetooth®️ to play, pause, check your battery, and more. 

Connect to all your favorite content: Stream audio using WiFi or Bluetooth, and unlock new listening possibilities by connecting your turntable, computer, or other audio source using the Sonos Move 2.

Sonos Move 2

Sonos Move 2 will be available globally starting September 20, 2023 for $449 (£449, AU$799, €499). 

Read the full press release for Move 2 here

“Stream audio using WiFi or Bluetooth, and unlock new listening possibilities by connecting your turntable, computer, or other audio source using the Sonos.”

“Connect to my computer using the Sonos”…. line in dongle?

I just love that green colour 😄

“Stream audio using WiFi or Bluetooth, and unlock new listening possibilities by connecting your turntable, computer, or other audio source using the Sonos.”

“Connect to my computer using the Sonos”…. line in dongle?

Sorry for this… corrected now.

It’s not a colour, or even a color, it’s a colorway.

It’s not a colour, or even a color, it’s a colorway.

Colourway? (UK) 😂

I would assume that, like it’s predecessor and the Roam, Move 2 cannot be used as part of a home theatre room setup?

Can a Move and Move 2 be stereo paired? (pretty sure this is a no)

From the product description in the Sonos shop, it looks like it comes with a charging base like it’s predecessor, but not the same charger. But you can use the charger for both Move 2 and Move.

No Google voice support, like the Era speakers.

I see the USB-C port can be used to charge other devices, which is a really cool feature.  Can it be used to charge the Move 2 as well (instead of the base)?

@melvimbe 

Hi Danny!

I would assume that, like it’s predecessor and the Roam, Move 2 cannot be used as part of a home theatre room setup?

Correct - Move 2 cannot be configured for use as a surround speaker.

Can a Move and Move 2 be stereo paired? (pretty sure this is a no)

I can’t see this written down anywhere, but I would also assume “no” - the Move 2 is acoustically different enough from the first Move that I think this unlikely. I’ll try to get a more concrete answer for you.

From the product description in the Sonos shop, it looks like it comes with a charging base like it’s predecessor, but not the same charger. But you can use the charger for both Move 2 and Move.

Either cradle/charger will charge either version of the speaker.

Correct.

I see the USB-C port can be used to charge other devices, which is a really cool feature.  Can it be used to charge the Move 2 as well (instead of the base)?

Although it doesn’t expressly say so, I think the following statement from the product page suggests that the port cannot be used to charge the Move 2:

Again, I will try to get a more concrete answer for you regarding this.

I hope this helps.

@melvimbe

Hi Danny!

Yo

Although it doesn’t expressly say so, I think the following statement from the product page suggests that the port cannot be used to charge the Move 2:

Again, I will try to get a more concrete answer for you regarding this.

I hope this helps.

Yea, that’s a strange one since the original Move can be charged via USB-C, and while traveling I can see why people would not want to bring the charging ring along with them. The charging base is more durbable though, and can be charged over DC via USB-C, so maybe not as important. However, the port on the original Move could not be used for network or audio input (via dongle) like Move 2 9and Era speakers) can.  But odd if the Move 2 can discharge via USB-C, but not charge.

Actually, the charging dock is 15V, older dock is 18V.  The original Move could charge via the USB-C port via 12V, 15V, or 20V in addition to the dock..  I’m thinking the network/aux input dongle’s use 5V, and most phones/tablets use 5V, it makes sense that the USB-C port would be 5V for discharging and dongles, but not really compatible with charging.  Maybe some circuitry could be added so that the USB-C could work with 12V or 5V depending on use case but perhaps not worth the effort and potential damage if the wrong voltage is used.

Hi Danny

The charger for the original Move is 18v x 2.5A = 45 Watts. The new version is 15v x 3A = 45 Watts. I think they are basically equivalent.

I have received more info regarding charging Move 2 - you can indeed charge via the USB-C port, but only if not using one of the USB line-in adaptors at the time.

Correct.

Bad 😞

Hi Danny

The charger for the original Move is 18v x 2.5A = 45 Watts. The new version is 15v x 3A = 45 Watts. I think they are basically equivalent.

Correct, I noticed that too and meant to mention the difference in amps resulted in the same wattage, but forgot.

I have received more info regarding charging Move 2 - you can indeed charge via the USB-C port, but only if not using one of the USB line-in adaptors at the time.

Ok cool.  I wonder if the USB-C port will charge at 5V, 12V, or both?  I mean, I truely just wonder, not that you need to go get an answer.  I’m guessing that it’s 5V only, and that there is a 5V to 12V step up/down between battery and USB port.  That way the battery can safely charge other devices, or power dongles if needed, at 5V.  That would also mean that the Era speakers could also have same/similar design for the USB C port, and Eras could theoritically be used to charge devices, although not really a needed for feature for a non-portable device.

As a Move 1 owner (that bought it only weeks ago!), some questions:

1. Are any of the standby improvements not able to be applied to the original via firmware? 

2. some articles are stating the original Move is mono. Is that actually correct?

1. Are any of the standby improvements not able to be applied to the original via firmware? 

2. some articles are stating the original Move is mono. Is that actually correct?

I don’t know about #1, but I have two Move 1s and they are mono.  You need to pair 2 of them to get stereo sound.  

I don’t know about #1, but I have two Move 1s and they are mono.  You need to pair 2 of them to get stereo sound.  

Thanks. For my use case the standby improvements are important so would be good to know. This is probably my biggest complaint with the Move as it turns itself back on continuously further running down the battery. 

Thanks. For my use case the standby improvements are important so would be good to know. This is probably my biggest complaint with the Move as it turns itself back on continuously further running down the battery. 

Yeah -- I don’t really travel with mine much (given the weight), so it sits on a charger pretty often and just comes out for 1-3 hour stretches on the patio.  Any firmware improvements would be great, but I doubt it as it presents an opportunity to get people to upgrade.

Been waiting for the Move 2 as I regularly move my Move 1 between locations, two of which with charging cradles.  I read the press release and would like to confirm that  the Move 1 charging cradle can be used with the new Move 2 - am I right?  thanks!

1 - Generally, Sonos gives firmware updates to older models whenever possible, so I would assume whatever updates could be made were already made.

2 - Yes.  Technically the Move 2 has 2 tweeters and one woofer, so it sounds to me like it’s playing stereo only over a certain frequency range, but the higher range is also where you can better discern location.

Worth noting...two that the Move 2 only bonds with a second Move to form a pair over a WiFi connection, exactly like the Roam works currently.  For the Roam, that means bluetooth without WiFi will only play on one speaker, and the same applies for Move 2.  The Move 2 also has aux input, which I would assume will still operate away from WiFi connection, but one on the Move 2  input is connected to when not connected via WiFi.

Wonder if the green one will only be available on the Sonos official shop much like the colourful Roams? With the Black and White ones being sold elsewhere. 

Regardless of my comment above, I have pre-ordered a green one using one of my 15% discounts 😁

Hi @regtor 

Been waiting for the Move 2 as I regularly move my Move 1 between locations, two of which with charging cradles.  I read the press release and would like to confirm that  the Move 1 charging cradle can be used with the new Move 2 - am I right?  thanks!

Yes - either cradle can charge either version of the Move.

Move 2 specs are showing 24 hour battery life. Move was 11 hour battery life. I understand the Move 2 battery can be used in a Move. What is the expected battery life of a Move with a Move 2 battery?

I assume the Move 2 battery is a more powerful and the circuitry of the Move 2 is likely more energy efficient. Was wondering if any testing was performed to see what the battery life will be like with a Move 2 battery in a Move?

Thanks

Hi @schoondoggy 

Good question! Yes, Move 2's replacement battery pack is backwards compatible with Move - using this combination will increase Move's playtime by 22%, as well as reduce charging time by 22%. You can tell by these figures that Move 2 is indeed more efficient than Move is.

I hope this helps.

good and all… but the green Move 2 that everyone wants has been on backorder and the date keeps getting pushed back…  does anyone know when I’ll actually be able to order and receive the hot item that was launched a month ago..

good and all… but the green Move 2 that everyone wants has been on backorder and the date keeps getting pushed back…  does anyone know when I’ll actually be able to order and receive the hot item that was launched a month ago..

Rhetorical question?  

You can order right now, and it should be shipped around Nov 6, like the website said. 

If you’re hoping to be order and get immediate shipping for some reason, that obviously won’t happen till Nov 6 at the earliest, but could later be later based on product demand.