Skip to main content

We’re proud to announce the launch of Sonos Radio, the premier radio experience on Sonos.  This is a free, ad-supported streaming radio service available to Sonos customers, offering access to an extensive assortment of music, news, live sports and more. 

Sonos Radio connects you with radio stations from around the world, with over 60,000 broadcast radio stations brought together in an easy to use interface. You can also use Sonos Radio to access radio services from our partners, such as iHeartRadio in North America, with more on the way. 

Sonos Radio features exclusive Sonos Stations, 30 genre-based stations based off of the music our owners listen to most. Get quick access to music with stations designed to complement the things you do at home, like getting ready in the morning, relaxing, working from home, cooking, and more.

Broadcasting from our Sonos Store in New York City, Sonos Sound System is the destination for music discovery and sonic inspiration. You can find Sound System along with our exclusive artist-curated stations under Sonos Presents in the app. 

Learn more here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/482

I suggest you get out Wireshark or such and have a look; to use Spotify (who also collect data I appreciate), or Apple Music the speakers don’t need to touch Sonos (as is my current setup).

Or you can just look back a few years (pre Apple Music I admit) and see no Sonos data collection was required. It’s only since ~7.x (fuzzy memory here), that I started seeing every operation (local or requiring a remote music service) instigate a call(s) to a Sonos domain (purely for data collection). BTW, that’s one reason why the controllers are slower than they used to be!

Unfortunately, every time I upgrade the firmware I have to stick the network monitor on to record for 24 hours+ to see all the new Sonos domains being used so I can add them to my block list.

Trust me, you don’t need this comms overhead unless you’re using voice control/assist on some of the newer products (which obviously I would never buy - equipped as I am with hand!).

This is a pure data-grab (voice asset excepted) - no functionality depends on the speakers communicating with Sonos (as I’ve proved/have currently setup).

Sonos Radio is another data-grab - it adds nothing Tune-In or the myriad or existing music services don’t already provide. They’d earn more by adding an opt-out option (being decent), and improving there hardware/software (the iOS controller app gets slower with every release).

SELL. YOUR.  SONOS. PLEASE!

I suggest you get out Wireshark or such and have a look; to use Spotify (who also collect data I appreciate), or Apple Music the speakers don’t need to touch Sonos (as is my current setup).

In order to enable Spotify Connect on your Sonos speaker the two companies had to exchange your data 🤷

SELL. YOUR.  SONOS. PLEASE!

Guy no need to go around yelling at Sue. Chill out FFS.

The only obvious recourse for her is the one she refuses to take.  Sometimes people need to be yelled at. 

The only obvious recourse for her is the one she refuses to take.  Sometimes people need to be yelled at. 

There isn't only one recourse.

It's disturbing that you think that Sue "needs" to be yelled at. 

Getting a lot of ‘unable to browse music’ with the new Sonos Radio.  Upgraded to 11.1.  This is on desktop app.  Can occur in any of the main categories.

So do you want to buy them (jgatie)? I’ve got a soundbar, connect (used for analog input), subwoofer, and 2x Sonos 3s.  Think I purchased most of it between ‘11-’14? All in perfect order.

My other set of (wired) speakers I’ve had since 1981 (nearly 40 years!) - Linn Isobariks.  They still do exactly what they did when I purchased them (brilliantly) - that’s exactly what these should do if Sonos had any decency. I doubt Sonos will be about in 40 years time - especially if they continue stealing from (p*ssing o$$) their customers.

So do you want to buy them (jgatie)? I’ve got a soundbar, connect (used for analog input), subwoofer, and 2x Sonos 3s.  Think I purchased most of it between ‘11-’14? All in perfect order.

My other set of (wired) speakers I’ve had since 1981 (nearly 40 years!) - Linn Isobariks.  They still do exactly what they did when I purchased them (brilliantly) - that’s exactly what these should do if Sonos had any decency. I doubt Sonos will be about in 40 years time - especially if they continue stealing from (p*ssing o$$) their customers.

I suggest eBay. Sonos does very well on there.  

There isn't only one recourse.

It's disturbing that you think that Sue "needs" to be yelled at. 

What other recourse is there when one is unhappy with a product?  

The manufacture could listen their customers and restore the functionality originally sold? That is, provide me an option to opt-out of all data collection by Sonos.

Or Sonos could give me all my money back and come collect? Why do I have to make more effort to sell and lose money for their financial gain (data sales)?

The manufacture could listen their customers and restore the functionality originally sold? That is, provide me an option to opt-out of all data collection by Sonos.

Or Sonos could give me all my money back and come collect? Why do I have to make more effort to sell and lose money for their financial gain (data sales)?

Yeah, good luck with that.  As my father used to say “Wish in one hand .. .”.

Agreed, not going to happen!

So instead of being complicit with something which is wrong (immoral) I’m standing-up for what I believe is right - Sonos providing me what I originally purchased - speaker they don’t report back on how they’re being used.

While they continue to try and to steal my data (enormously inconveniencing me) I will council anyone, and everyone I can to avoid buying from this morally bankrupt company.

I respect this is not your position, and I’ve no problem with Sonos providing a ‘look at everything I do option’,  I just want it to be an option. Just like having, or not having a Facebook account it! Your choice.

You do know there is an opt-out for all usage data except that needed to run the system and diagnose problems, right?  

Pretty much just seems to be a rebranding of existing local radio services (ie TuneIn), yet with the old brand still showing when playing a station related to it. So no real change from my perspective.

I dislike ads on local radio stations, so I still prefer Stingray Music, as its ad free and free of cost (as most cable TV providers include it) and you can skip, like, and block songs on their curated radio stations which are the best I’ve ever seen on any music streaming platform to date. Even the Stingray Music interface on Sonos for liking and blocking songs is the best I’ve seen and I wish all music streaming platforms (ie Spotify) replicated its functionality and layout as well. (Note Stingray Music does carry some actual local radio stations but it’s just seems to be a limited selection.)

I’m just glad that with this update, you can now remove TuneIn and aren’t forced to install Sonos Radio as well. Thank you for giving me these options.

There’s an option in the iOS app under Settings/Data & Privacy/Use Personalization Service, but setting this to disabled does NOT stop the system trying to send a packet (several in fact) to Sonos every time you hit play/stop/whatever. 

I repeat there is no reason for Sonos to be involved with the playback from local servers, nor music services like Spotify or Apple Music. I know this because I’ve stopped all such attempts. 

The speakers make the request(s) directly to the music service, and then interpret the stream from those services. This does NOT involve Sonos. The reason there’s an attempt by the speakers to send data to Sonos is to steal it - plain and simple. 

My agreement with Apple (the music service I now use, previously Spotify) is to stream me music. I accept they collect (accord to their privacy policy) some data, and if I don’t like it I can stop paying.

My agreement with Sonos was cash in exchange for speakers, NOT to provide them with insight into how and why I use them. They have changed the deal; we (owners) should be getting the money they sell our data for.

There’s an option in the iOS app under Settings/Data & Privacy/Use Personalization Service, but setting this to disabled does NOT stop the system trying to send a packet (several in fact) to Sonos every time you hit play/stop/whatever. 

I repeat there is no reason for Sonos to be involved with the playback from local servers, nor music services like Spotify or Apple Music. I know this because I’ve stopped all such attempts. 

The speakers make the request(s) directly to the music service, and then interpret the stream from those services. This does NOT involve Sonos. The reason there’s an attempt by the speakers to send data to Sonos is to steal it - plain and simple. 

My agreement with Apple (the music service I now use, previously Spotify) is to stream me music. I accept they collect (accord to their privacy policy) some data, and if I don’t like it I can stop paying.

My agreement with Sonos was cash in exchange for speakers, NOT to provide them with insight into how and why I use them. They have changed the deal; we (owners) should be getting the money they sell our data for.

If you’ve “stopped all such attempts”, why are you here complaining about it?  Is this mere posturing?  

Pretty much just seems to be a rebranding of existing local radio services (ie TuneIn), yet with the old brand still showing when playing a station related to it. So no real change from my perspective.

I believe that’s part of it, but there’s the 30 or so stations that are exclusive to Sonos.  So far, I like some of them, perhaps more because it’s slightly different flavors then what I’ve gotten used to with the radio streams I normally use.

I’m complaining because I waste a mound of time every time there’s an update (like now). I have to monitor the network to see what ‘new’ domains they’re now sending to so I can add them to the firewall. 

I also don’t think I should have to police a product I paid for under a different agreement. 

I’m complaining because I waste a mound of time every time there’s an update (like now). I have to monitor the network to see what ‘new’ domains they’re now sending to so I can add them to the firewall. 

I also don’t think I should have to police a product I paid for under a different agreement. 

So you are posturing.  Gotcha.

I’m making sure as many people as I can understand the deal: pay Sonos a premium for speakers that spy on you so they can earn more money selling your data. Your choice.

I’m making sure as many people as I can understand the deal: pay Sonos a premium for speakers that spy on you so they can earn more money selling your data. Your choice.

The very definition of posturing. 

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/posturing

behavior or speech that is intended to attract attention and interest, or to make people believe something that is not true:

Especially since they have stated in no uncertain terms that they do not sell your data.  Terms that are enforced by the FTC and can warrant billions in fines if not followed.  

They do sell your data - wise-up. They might not sell your data ‘personalised’, but they don’t say they don’t use of sell aggregates.

Read the privacy policy, then look around the web - hundreds of people have complained about their privacy policy. It’s universally slammed by privacy advocates.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/11/sonos_privacy_speakers/

https://www.extremetech.com/electronics/254561-sonos-accept-new-privacy-policy-well-brick-device

https://www.zdnet.com/article/sonos-accept-new-privacy-policy-speakers-cease-to-function/

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/08/24/sonos-triggers-fight-over-privacy-with-new-data-rules-for-audio-devices/FOvJy8dkgeiylkv8RKot0J/story.html

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15071120

I can’t decide if I like the Thom Yorke station or not.    It keeps going from just weird enough to be interesting to too weird to really get into.

They do sell your data - wise-up. They might not sell your data ‘personalised’, but they don’t say they don’t use of sell aggregates.

If you have proof of this, I suggest you contact the FTC.

Read the privacy policy, then look around the web - hundreds of people have complained about their privacy policy. It’s universally slammed by privacy advocates.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/11/sonos_privacy_speakers/

https://www.extremetech.com/electronics/254561-sonos-accept-new-privacy-policy-well-brick-device

https://www.zdnet.com/article/sonos-accept-new-privacy-policy-speakers-cease-to-function/

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/08/24/sonos-triggers-fight-over-privacy-with-new-data-rules-for-audio-devices/FOvJy8dkgeiylkv8RKot0J/story.html

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15071120

None of those links say they are selling your data.

I also find the station names ‘Rock Road Trip’ and ‘Cruise Control’ a little odd for a home audio system.  :grinning: