‘On this Device’ for Android controller no longer supported

Related products: Software News
‘On this Device’ for Android controller no longer supported

Starting May 23rd, 2023, the Sonos S1 and S2 controller for Android will no longer support the ‘On this Device’ feature for streaming locally saved audio files directly to Sonos devices.

As newer versions of mobile operating systems are released, it can sometimes change the way information is shared between devices, and this feature will no longer be compatible with newer versions of the Android operating system. 

While this feature will no longer be available in the app, we know local audio files are important to our listeners and we’ll continue to offer other options to enjoy downloaded tracks on Sonos, including:

• Streaming the catalog from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs. 

See our article on 'Adding music services' to get started.

Some music services allow you to upload your own music files to a cloud storage service like YouTube Music for example, which allows for an upload of up to 100,000 files with a free account. Services that allow you to upload files to a cloud storage:

Streaming through music services or cloud storage allows you to access your music without your phone. 

You can play music files from your Android device to a supported Sonos product using Bluetooth.

See more about 'Using Bluetooth on Sonos' here.

• Setting up a Music Library share on a Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive. You’d need to have the drive available in your network when you want to play music, but your library would be easy to transfer to these devices, if it isn’t already on them.

See our article on 'Using a NAS drive with Sonos' to get started.

• If you have a Sonos Play:5, Connect, Connect:Amp, Amp, Era 100 or Era 300 (with the Line-In dongle), you have a Sonos player with a Line-In connection. Using that Line-In, you can play music directly from any device connected to it, to any player around the house.

See more about 'Using the Line-In on Sonos' here.

We'll continue to support everyone through this change, and will help you through the necessary steps to keep listening to your favorite tracks on Sonos.

Remote or player, is it really beyond the imagination and capabilities of Sonos to incorporate what a small independent app developer can do? Sonos apologists coming out with excuse after excuse in Sonos' defence... Guaranteed that they'll be doing the same when Classic search is eventually discontinued and all search results returned are for streaming services.

And Sonos bashers come up with all sorts of crazy conspiracy theories why Sonos would do something, when in fact it is Google/Apple doing it.  And round and round it goes. 

Remote or player, is it really beyond the imagination and capabilities of Sonos to incorporate what a small independent app developer can do? Sonos apologists coming out with excuse after excuse in Sonos' defence... Guaranteed that they'll be doing the same when Classic search is eventually discontinued and all search results returned are for streaming services.

Defence No.1 - There’s always Plex that will return search results from a users local library, (In some respects Apple Music can do it too, if mirrored in iCloud)… ha ha 😂

Pretty sure Plex can’t read files from an android system.  Plex needs to have a server setup, either PC/laptop/MAC/shield with access to a drive on the network.  Also, pretty sure that Sonos accesses Plex through a cloud server, not directly through the local WiFi network.  

Pretty sure Plex can’t read files from an android system.  Plex needs to have a server setup, either PC/laptop/MAC/shield with access to a drive on the network.  Also, pretty sure that Sonos accesses Plex through a cloud server, not directly through the local WiFi network.  

I was referring to RJSUK’s reference to Sonos potentially removing the classic search from the App and the fact that the new Sonos search does not search the local library - Plex accesses the local library if running the Plex server software on the LAN - it uses a NAT loopback-link So the search is local. It’s just the authorisation that I requires the WAN connection - it’s one way that a user could still see search results based on the content of their local library. I also included Apple Music (tongue in cheek) as it can mirror the local library in iCloud and return the exact same search result as though the local library had been included in the search.

Defence No.1 - There’s always Plex that will return search results from a users local library, (In some respects Apple Music can do it too, if mirrored in iCloud)… ha ha 😂

Sonos should have you on their payroll given your shameless defence of their removal of what were key selling points when I first bought their products. I know technology doesn't stand still, but I don't expect it to go backwards and involve having to use third party software to access what were once key features.

It should be noted that HiFi Cast makes money from ad revenue and in-app purchases.  It looks like it will also sell your data to other parties, including location.  You can’t request that your data be deleted.

I personally don’t care if Sonos decides to make their own player app as a companion to the Sonos app.  Actually, I would be in favor of it if it included Sonos radio so the service could be used away from a WiFi network.

I bought the app. It cost £6.49 and there was no requirement to register. If you're worried about your online data being potentially harvested and sold, you should disconnect from the Internet immediately.

Sonos should have you on their payroll given your shameless defence of their removal of what were key selling points when I first bought their products. I know technology doesn't stand still, but I don't expect it to go backwards and involve having to use third party software to access what were once key features.

As you say technology moves on. I just choose not to complain about it and simply try to move with the times, but I do try to think ahead, so that I’m still getting some good value/use from the products bought in the distant past. My 8 track tape player, monochrome TV and VHS recorder have all been replaced now of course, due to the way things work these days - So you just have to move with the times. There’s absolutely nothing to stop you selling things and moving forward in other ways. It’s best to try to keep you glass half full, rather than having it half empty.

Sonos employment - what’s that? Our children have long-since flown the nest and the Wife and I are happily retired. Besides, I have all the hoovering, tidying, making beds and washing-up to do. I’m chief cook and bottle washer. (no complaints here😀).

It should be noted that HiFi Cast makes money from ad revenue and in-app purchases.  It looks like it will also sell your data to other parties, including location.  You can’t request that your data be deleted.

I personally don’t care if Sonos decides to make their own player app as a companion to the Sonos app.  Actually, I would be in favor of it if it included Sonos radio so the service could be used away from a WiFi network.

I bought the app. It cost £6.49 and there was no requirement to register. If you're worried about your online data being potentially harvested and sold, you should disconnect from the Internet immediately.

A lot of users choose not to use streaming services because they don’t want to have any data tracking on them, or intend to use Sonos in a location without internet access.  Hence these details would be important to them.  I would imagine that could actually be the majority of people who were interested in alternatives to playing tracks from the android file system.  My post wasn’t supposed to be information for you, since you likely already knew this since you brought up the app, but for others in the community.

Google should be paying you for your shameless defense of them taking away what you claim were key selling points when you first bought Sonos products. 

Google should be paying you for your shameless defense of them taking away what you claim were key selling points when you first bought Sonos products. 

The fact of the matter is, a multi-million dollar technology company cannot provide the same functionality that an independently developed app can. The 'but the Sonos app is a remote not a player" and "it's all Google's fault" arguments being put forward by the usual suspects are just lazy excuses. The same excuses will be trotted out when Classic search is removed.

The fact of the matter is, a multi-million dollar technology company cannot provide the same functionality that an independently developed app can. The 'but the Sonos app is a remote not a player" and "it's all Google's fault" arguments being put forward by the usual suspects are just lazy excuses. The same excuses will be trotted out when Classic search is removed.

No, it is you who are being lazy.  You have no answer for the technical reasons why this function has been discontinued, so you insult the people who do.  Then you propose that a company is in possession of some magic pixie dust to overcome these technicalities, but this multi-million dollar company refuses to use this pixie dust for uhhhh, reasons.  ​​​That is the definition of lazy. 

And the fact that the Sonos app is not a player are not a lazy excuse, it's the actual heart of the matter.   Your hand waving doesn't change that.

No, it is you who are being lazy.  You have no answer for the technical reasons why this function has been discontinued, so you insult the people who do.  Then you propose that a company is in possession of some magic pixie dust to overcome these technicalities, but this multi-million dollar company refuses to use this pixie dust for uhhhh, reasons.  ​​​That is the definition of lazy. 

And the fact that the Sonos app is not a player are not a lazy excuse, it's the actual heart of the matter.   Your hand waving doesn't change that.

My point is that it's not 'magic pixie dust'. If a small time app can provide that functionality, then so could Sonos if they wanted to even if it was a separate player app. It wouldn't exactly be a big ask for Sonos. But moving forward, their focus is clearly on connectivity and integration with streaming providers.

My point is that it's not 'magic pixie dust'. If a small time app can provide that functionality, then so could Sonos if they wanted to even if it was a separate player app. It wouldn't exactly be a big ask for Sonos. But moving forward, their focus is clearly on connectivity and integration with streaming providers.

Why would Sonos actively take away something which works for no good reason?  Especially when they make no income or kickbacks from pushing anyone towards streaming services.  It makes no sense.  Sure their focus is on streaming, as it should be considering over 93% of content on Sonos is from streaming services.  So why would they waste development time and effort to take something out, pissing off a portion of their users in the process, unless outside forces dictated that they do it?  There's no benefit to anyone, including Sonos.

Now I've put forward a logical series of questions.  Please don't reply with lazy insults or name calling.  Actually answer the questions.

There are no lazy insults or name calling coming from this callsign.

The obvious benefit for Sonos is that it's one less thing for them to worry about and divert resources to. They spelled it out loud and clear with the introduction of Bluetooth enabled speakers and New search, that their focus is on connectivity with streaming platforms. It really is a step backwards for customers with personal music libraries. You can't search it in New search and you can't play music from your Android device. I think it's inevitable at some stage in the future that they'll pull the plug on NAS support and advise anyone effected to buy a Sonos Bluetooth enabled speaker.

Here's an extract from an email response I received from Sonos a few months ago about the withdrawal of the Android device function. No mention of Google, just some  excuses. The bit about a Wi-fi playback from an Android device being unreliable is laughable - they seem to assume that their customers roam around super-sized mansions. The overall theme of the email is one of "we can't be bothered because it's too difficult" [and it will effect our bottom line].

We concluded that it was necessary to remove it for a couple of reasons:

Firstly, the feature in question would be increasingly hard to support on new Android OS releases: Gaining Sonos system access to Android files becomes more and more difficult as Android OS security and permission control increase.

Secondly, we deemed the functionality an unreliable playback experience, given the data that we have lately gathered. 'On this Device' playback requires a reliable, consistent wireless connection between the mobile device and the customer’s wireless network. As our customers carry their phones from room to room and move further away from the router, playback can and will suffer.

Lastly, this particular playback method has been limiting Sonos player and controller software advancement for quite a while now. To support 'On this Device', Sonos has to continue using inefficient software that takes up too many resources on the local controller

No mention of Google?  Who do you think owns, develops, and distributes the Android OS and implements Android OS security? (I can't believe I actually had to ask that question).  

And that statement is the closest ever I have seen Sonos throwing a company under the bus.  Probably due to the contentious relationship, it's not that hard to read between the lines to see they are 100% blaming Googlle changes in OS security and permission control.  Usually Sonos isn't that blunt.  

No mention of Google?  Who do you think owns, develops, and distributes the Android OS and implements Android OS security? (I can't believe I actually had to ask that question).  

And that statement is the closest ever I have seen Sonos throwing a company under the bus.  Probably due to the contentious relationship, it's not that hard to read between the lines to see they are 100% blaming Googlle changes in OS security and permission control.  Usually Sonos isn't that blunt.  

Next you'll be saying Apple develop iOS... Talk about stating the obvious. You've missed the point. If it is Google preventing them, they should spell it out loud and clear. But they don't. Instead just some waffle about how it's getting increasingly hard to support it. No mention of it being impossible.

No mention of it being impossible.

Apart from this statement in the OP:

As newer versions of mobile operating systems are released, it can sometimes change the way information is shared between devices, and this feature will no longer be compatible with newer versions of the Android operating system

Next you'll be saying Apple develop iOS... Talk about stating the obvious. You've missed the point. If it is Google preventing them, they should spell it out loud and clear. But they don't. Instead just some waffle about how it's getting increasingly hard to support it. No mention of it being impossible.

I believe you are only seeing what you wish to see.  Sonos has quite clearly stated, right in this very thread, that it is incompatible with newer versions of Android.  That’s far less waffling than usual from Sonos, who often go out of their way to not throw other companies under the bus.  If your only gripe is they do not mention Google by name, well I suggest you just assume they mean Google and let it go.

There are no lazy insults or name calling coming from this callsign.

You’ve referred to those who share a different view on the matter as “Sonos worshippers” or “Sonos apologize”, which is a clear attempt to minimize views of others.  It’s lazy.

The obvious benefit for Sonos is that it's one less thing for them to worry about and divert resources to. They spelled it out loud and clear with the introduction of Bluetooth enabled speakers and New search, that their focus is on connectivity with streaming platforms. It really is a step backwards for customers with personal music libraries. You can't search it in New search and you can't play music from your Android device. I think it's inevitable at some stage in the future that they'll pull the plug on NAS support and advise anyone effected to buy a Sonos Bluetooth enabled speaker.

I don’t follow why local library support isn’t included in the new search feature, and it could very well be a sign that Sonos is moving away from local libraries.  However, despite the lower volume of local library users, seems to be a core of users, and the original feature, so I’m not sure that Sonos is really ready to drop the feature.   I don’t think they will any time soon, but it certainly not outside the realm of possibility.

Bluetooth, on the other hand, is clearly added because customers have been asking for it since Sonos existed.  It is definitely not added as a replacement for local libraries.

@RJSUK,

You have mentioned that the App "Hi Fi Cast - can cast music from my devices to my Sonos speakers” - so just use that App, which is a ‘player’ and not a ‘remote’ like the Sonos App - I don’t see what the issue is if you have a solution already?

I assume Sonos do not need to compete in this area at the moment. My guess is that Sonos have looked at their users that use this feature on their android devices and decided that it’s not currently viable to create a player to do this. That’s not to say it will not ever happen, but the demand perhaps is not there at the moment

I still use a NAS myself,  but admittedly I use my own locally stored music less and less in comparison to streaming audio from Amazon, Apple and other sources. 

Locally held media I no longer use, thanks to the streaming services:

VHS Tapes, Blu-ray Discs, CD’s, Vinyl, Audio Cassette tapes, MP3 players…

I have just moved on, my children have no locally held (owned) media that I can think of, it’s all leased and online.

Starting May 23rd, 2023, the Sonos S1 and S2 controller for Android will no longer support the ‘On this Device’ feature for streaming locally saved audio files directly to Sonos devices.

As newer versions of mobile operating systems are released, it can sometimes change the way information is shared between devices, and this feature will no longer be compatible with newer versions of the Android operating system. 

While this feature will no longer be available in the app, we know local audio files are important to our listeners and we’ll continue to offer other options to enjoy downloaded tracks on Sonos, including:

• Streaming the catalog from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs. 

See our article on 'Adding music services' to get started.

Some music services allow you to upload your own music files to a cloud storage service like YouTube Music for example, which allows for an upload of up to 100,000 files with a free account. Services that allow you to upload files to a cloud storage:

Streaming through music services or cloud storage allows you to access your music without your phone. 

You can play music files from your Android device to a supported Sonos product using Bluetooth.

See more about 'Using Bluetooth on Sonos' here.

• Setting up a Music Library share on a Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive. You’d need to have the drive available in your network when you want to play music, but your library would be easy to transfer to these devices, if it isn’t already on them.

See our article on 'Using a NAS drive with Sonos' to get started.

• If you have a Sonos Play:5, Connect, Connect:Amp, Amp, Era 100 or Era 300 (with the Line-In dongle), you have a Sonos player with a Line-In connection. Using that Line-In, you can play music directly from any device connected to it, to any player around the house.

See more about 'Using the Line-In on Sonos' here.

We'll continue to support everyone through this change, and will help you through the necessary steps to keep listening to your favorite tracks on Sonos.

I will be selling my Sonos music system as I´m not happy with not being able to play the many hundred titels I have on my Samsung phone.

Better to sell your Samsung phone, since it is Android (Google) who made this change that forced Sonos to remove this. Apple made the same change to iOS years ago, so no relief getting an iPhone, either. 

I will be selling my Sonos music system as I´m not happy with not being able to play the many hundred titels I have on my Samsung phone.

…or you could just use any decent UPnP player/App to play your mobile-stored tracks to Sonos? Or perhaps, simply upload the tracks to the iBroadcast service and stream them to any/all your speakers from that in-built MSP service?