Skip to main content

Hi all,

Today we announce the Sub Mini, the wireless subwoofer that sets a new standard in its category for powerful, balanced bass.

Available in matte black and white, Sub Mini will be available globally starting October 6.

Sonos Sub Mini

Small but Mighty: Sub Mini Boosts Bass Across Movies, Music, Gaming and More

Bass without the Buzzkill: Dual custom woofers and advanced processing generate deep, dynamic low end with no buzz or rattle, helping you feel more immersed in every scene and song. Within the acoustically sealed cabinet, both woofers face inward to create a force-canceling effect that neutralizes distortion. 

Balanced Sound: Advanced digital signal processing maximizes bass response and reproduces the full-toned low frequencies expected from a much larger subwoofer, allowing paired speakers like Beam, Ray, One, or One SL to focus on more mid-range and high frequencies for a richer, more powerful sound experience all around.

Pairs Well With…: Drum up the drama in every movie scene by pairing Beam or Ray with Sub Mini, or drop it even lower on your at-home dance floor by making Sub Mini your Sonos One’s plus one. 

Looking Great at Every Angle: Unlike other subwoofers, Sub Mini features a round design that allows it to blend naturally into your home aesthetic without taking too much space (or attention). 

Seamless Set-Up: Add Sub Mini to your Sonos system in just a few taps on the Sonos app, mixing and matching with different Sonos speakers to create your perfect sound system, whether you’re hosting a housewarming party or movie night with friends. You can also fine tune Sub Mini’s sound with Trueplay, which detects and adapts the speaker’s sound for reflections off of walls and furniture, giving you the best listening experience for your room and setup. 

Sonos Sub Mini

Building on the award-winning design of Sub, Sub Mini delivers rich, clear low end in a more compact, cylindrical design.

Sub Mini will be available globally starting October 6 2022 for $429USD, £429, €499, $699AUD. For more information, please visit Sonos.com

Read here the full press release on Sonos Sub Mini.

Will they ship for delivery on Friday or will they arrive next week please?

Will they ship for delivery on Friday or will they arrive next week please?

In the past, Sonos has timed delivery so that it would arrive on the day it’s released, so Thursday Oct 6.  However, it’s become difficult for Sonos to maintain regular stock, much less keep up with preorder demand, so it’s entirely possible, if you preordered a little late, for your order to arrive later.  Indeed, there currently is a backorder of about a week or so.

Ordered mine right away and haven’t gotten any shipping notification. In midwest so at least 4 days. 

Can anyone bottom line the reviews so far. Peters videos are informative but long and drawn out. 

Does anyone know if I can pair a stereo pair of old play:1 speakers with the new sub mini?

Does anyone know if I can pair a stereo pair of old play:1 speakers with the new sub mini?

Yes.  You can bond the new Sub-Mini with any S2 capable device except Move, Roam, and Port/Connect. 

Can anyone bottom line the reviews so far. Peters videos are informative but long and drawn out. 

From what I’ve seen, reviews all seem to be rather positive, better than I expected to be honest.  All say that it’s a significant improvement over setups without an existing sub and a better option than the full size for situations where the full sub is overkill.  Everyone thinks the setup is pretty easy and straight forward. The biggest complaint seems to be about the price, but that’s not unexpected.

Ref the price, worth looking at the upgrade programme. In effect, it is a discount for current users and gives you a price of £365. In “The Old Days” I believe that the item you upgraded was made to stop working but that isn’t now the case. Basically you simply get 15% off any item and can upgrade everything once. So, if you own 4 speakers then you can buy another 4 products at 15% off. Then, I assume you can do the same thing again with those?

It’s not four products, per se. It’s that you can apply a discount (and it varies, depending on what you’ve decided to “trade in”) to a single purchase. Can be a set of speakers, could be a single speaker, but it’s one line item in the order. Read the legal details here. Note that there’s an FAQ which is pretty important, and a Terms and Conditions link.

I’ve linked the US version, but I suspect if you change that part of the link to your own location, you’ll get similar information. 

Ref the price, worth looking at the upgrade programme. In effect, it is a discount for current users and gives you a price of £365. In “The Old Days” I believe that the item you upgraded was made to stop working but that isn’t now the case. Basically you simply get 15% off any item and can upgrade everything once. So, if you own 4 speakers then you can buy another 4 products at 15% off. Then, I assume you can do the same thing again with those?

There was a period of time at the beginning of the program, around 6 months maybe,  when they first started the upgrade program where you were required to have your device recycled to get the upgrade discount of 30%.  That was years ago, now you can continue to use your old products.    These days, you still get 30% off the much older Sonos products, and 15% off for the other products that Sonos no longer sells.

Correct that you would get 4 discounts with 4 products, but the discount can be used on products sets as well as individual speakers. For example, you can apply a 15% upgrade from play:1 to get 15% off a full home theatre set. 

There is a small thing, though… you can’t get a 30% or 15% discount when “trading up” a Sonos BRIDGE. Those were, at one point, given away for free to many users. You do get a discount on upgrading that device to a BOOST, but only a BOOST, and not speakers / packages. 

As I understand it - and please correct me if I’m wrong - once you have bought one Sonos product you never need to pay full price again?

Not quite correct. There are many Sonos products that are not part of the “upgrade” program, so you can’t “trade them in”. 

I’d highly recommend reading the links I provided above. 

As I understand it - and please correct me if I’m wrong - once you have bought one Sonos product you never need to pay full price again?

No.   First off, it’s only previous generations of Sonos products that you can use to apply for an upgrade credit, not the currently sold items.  You can’t buy an Arc, for example, to get a credit.  Second, you can only use the upgrade credit one time.  Once you use it to buy a single item, or set, you cannot use that credit again. 

However, you can get an upgrade credit for each applicable product you own.  6 older products will get you 6 discounts.  If you have a house full of old products, you can get a lot of discounts.  So for those folks, you may never need to pay full price again.

Ah, yes I see now. Mine are all a year or so old and eligible but as you say it doesn’t include my Arc. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ah, yes I see now. Mine are all a year or so old and eligible but as you say it doesn’t include my Arc. Thanks for clearing that up.

I suspect that after Arc Gen 2 gets released (I am speculating, there is no planned Arc Gen 2 that I know of), then your Arc will be eligible for a 15% discount.

Some might argue that it’s an incentive to move from S1 only devices to S2 capable devices, and won’t be offered extensively on ‘current’ devices. There’s some fungibility there, though, but I’d honestly be surprised to see much extension of this kind of program until they’re forced to move to S3….in probably 10 years time. Certainly not the immediate future. 

Review in The Guardian today.https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/oct/05/sonos-sub-mini-review-big-boom-upgrade-in-a-compact-box

So far only Peter Pee has mentioned the fact that the mini is sealed whereas the standard model is not. He reckons that the standard larger sub is therefore better for cinema sounds and the mini better for music. Although he says that each are ok for both and I guess the difference may be marginal.

I’ve just had the email that mine is on the way. I have an Arc and two Play 1’s as surround and am looking forward to adding it. 

Some might argue that it’s an incentive to move from S1 only devices to S2 capable devices, and won’t be offered extensively on ‘current’ devices. There’s some fungibility there, though, but I’d honestly be surprised to see much extension of this kind of program until they’re forced to move to S3….in probably 10 years time. Certainly not the immediate future. 

That was my original thought as well, however, Sonos does give the discount on S2 capable devices.  If I remember correctly, the playbar got a discount very soon after the Arc was released.  I would guess the incentives are, in no particular order...

• If Sonos does eventually have an S3 situation, it is better to have customers off of older products sooner rather than later, and the program will not appear to be just about getting people off of S2. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is an accounting benefit to having a continuous program like this rather than a more limited program, in terms of liabilities and such.
  • Sonos wants to encourage people to buy multiple speakers.  While new customers are great, return customers surely look really good to investors.  And there is probably a multiplier effect where once a customer has 2 rooms with Sonos or such, then tend to start buying more at a faster pace.  Something like that.
  • The discount is only good through Sonos.com.  That could mean a more profitable sale for Sonos, even with discount, as they are not paying for a middleman retail outlet.  Maybe it helps with forecasting and inventory control too, I don’t know.  I bet many customers are not even aware that they can buy direct from Sonos, so maybe they buy one product with discount, and another at full price, where they would not have bought any from Sonos directly.

My guess is that it started off as just an S1 program, but saw the other benefits and thought it best to keep the program long term.

Do we know if the White Sub Mini will ship with a white power cord?

Do we know if the White Sub Mini will ship with a white power cord?

Yes, Sub Mini ships with a colour-matched power cord.

Mine has arrived and I will be installing later this evening. One question that doesn’t seem to be covered: Does it matter which way the ports face? I.e. either sideways or facing into the room towards the listener?

I wouldn’t think it would make a significant difference. Bass is fairly non-directional. But no reason not to try both, and see how you feel about it. 

Some details of the internal construction ...

deleted