Skip to main content

Hi all,

Today we announce the Sub Mini, the wireless subwoofer that sets a new standard in its category for powerful, balanced bass.

Available in matte black and white, Sub Mini will be available globally starting October 6.

Sonos Sub Mini

Small but Mighty: Sub Mini Boosts Bass Across Movies, Music, Gaming and More

Bass without the Buzzkill: Dual custom woofers and advanced processing generate deep, dynamic low end with no buzz or rattle, helping you feel more immersed in every scene and song. Within the acoustically sealed cabinet, both woofers face inward to create a force-canceling effect that neutralizes distortion. 

Balanced Sound: Advanced digital signal processing maximizes bass response and reproduces the full-toned low frequencies expected from a much larger subwoofer, allowing paired speakers like Beam, Ray, One, or One SL to focus on more mid-range and high frequencies for a richer, more powerful sound experience all around.

Pairs Well With…: Drum up the drama in every movie scene by pairing Beam or Ray with Sub Mini, or drop it even lower on your at-home dance floor by making Sub Mini your Sonos One’s plus one. 

Looking Great at Every Angle: Unlike other subwoofers, Sub Mini features a round design that allows it to blend naturally into your home aesthetic without taking too much space (or attention). 

Seamless Set-Up: Add Sub Mini to your Sonos system in just a few taps on the Sonos app, mixing and matching with different Sonos speakers to create your perfect sound system, whether you’re hosting a housewarming party or movie night with friends. You can also fine tune Sub Mini’s sound with Trueplay, which detects and adapts the speaker’s sound for reflections off of walls and furniture, giving you the best listening experience for your room and setup. 

Sonos Sub Mini

Building on the award-winning design of Sub, Sub Mini delivers rich, clear low end in a more compact, cylindrical design.

Sub Mini will be available globally starting October 6 2022 for $429USD, £429, €499, $699AUD. For more information, please visit Sonos.com

Read here the full press release on Sonos Sub Mini.

For all those asking “will it work with….?”

1. It won’t work at all on S1.  It is compatible only with S2.  Sonos has stated that all new products launched post the S1/S2 split will be S2 compatible only.
  2. On S2 it will work with any amplified, non-portable Sonos device.  (Portable = can be used without a mains power socket available, as a portable device has a rechargeable battery)
  3. But it cannot be added to a ‘room’ that already includes a Sub or a Sub Mini

Have I missed anything?

To expand a bit on my previous post:

Point 1 rules out ZP80, ZP90, ZP100, ZP120, Connect (gen 1), Connect:Amp (gen 1), Play:5 (gen 1)

Point 2 rules out: Connect (gen 2), Port, Move, Roam

Anything else is OK (provided you are on S2).

Again, have I missed anything? 

Will the Sub Mini pair with the Arc? Or am I being an idiot? Is there any point in pairing it with an Arc?

Yes it will.  As to there being a point, I guess that’s up to the listener.

As to the point, I would say pick you sub (full or mini) based on the size of the room, not the size of the soundbar you’re bonding it to.

To expand a bit on my previous post:

Point 1 rules out ZP80, ZP90, ZP100, ZP120, Connect (gen 1), Connect:Amp (gen 1), Play:5 (gen 1)

Point 2 rules out: Connect (gen 2), Port, Move, Roam

Anything else is OK (provided you are on S2).

Again, have I missed anything? 

List of Sonos devices Mini can bond to.

I have 23 Sonos speakers/connects/amp in my home. Several are not compatible with S2, but work perfectly well. It’s unfortunate that I can purchase new products that are only compatible with S2 from Sonos unless I was to stop using my older products. Let me think….do I want that cool new bass for my bedroom setup, or do I want my 3 speakers, 3 connects, and 2 amps to continue to work? 

I like the new products, just can’t buy any of them.

I have 23 Sonos speakers/connects/amp in my home. Several are not compatible with S2, but work perfectly well. It’s unfortunate that I can purchase new products that are only compatible with S2 from Sonos unless I was to stop using my older products. Let me think….do I want that cool new bass for my bedroom setup, or do I want my 3 speakers, 3 connects, and 2 amps to continue to work? 

I think you must have possibly read some incorrect information somewhere along the line - I happily run an S1 system (with older products) alongside my S2 system and have just ordered the sub-mini. There’s no stopping you running both S1/S2 systems on the same network, side-by-side. Everything still works okay here. 

I think you must have possibly read some incorrect information somewhere along the line - I happily run an S1 system (with older products) alongside my S2 system and have just ordered the sub-mini. There’s no stopping you running both S1/S2 systems on the same network, side-by-side. Everything still works okay here. 

You wouldn’t be able to group the devices, correct? The biggest advantage of the Sonos ecosystem is its ability to group zones.

Unfortunately,, in order to play in sync, each Sonos device must be defined in every device's firmware.  Since the new devices didn't exist on S1, and S1 is frozen because S1 devices' memory and storage are filled up, there's no way for the new S2 devices to be recognized on S1.

You wouldn’t be able to group the devices, correct? The biggest advantage of the Sonos ecosystem is its ability to group zones.

You can Airplay across the two systems when you have an Airplay compatible device allocated to both Households (A Sonos One, for example) but in any event you are not losing anything (you can still group what devices you have in the S1 setup already) and by adding the new products you are benefiting as you can go onto group those too, albeit separately if not using Airplay sources.. so it’s still a win-situation. I have Roam/Arc/Beam2 now in the S2 HH and really enjoying those products.

@Ken_Griffiths - where are you planning to use your sub mini? I’m soooo tempted to get one to maybe replace my Sub gen 3 in my HT room, and then use the big Sub with my stereo Fives 

@Ken_Griffiths - where are you planning to use your sub mini? I’m soooo tempted to get one to maybe replace my Sub gen 3 in my HT room, and then use the big Sub with my stereo Fives 

I currently have the larger Sub in the lounge, bonded to a Sonos Arc/surrounds and another in the Dining Room with Beam2/surrounds.

I did originally have a Beam (gen1) in the Dining room and that got moved to the main bedroom TV and bonded with two Ones that were already in that room… so my plan is to just add the sub-mini to that bedroom setup, as I also have a desk/office area in the bedroom and I think the sub-mini will be ideal in there without being too overpowering. 

If I had not got the second sub in the Dining Room with the Beam gen2 - I might have got the sub-mini for that room too. 

I do really like a Sub. I just think it can make a huge difference to the overall TV/Music sound ..and so nowadays, I would certainly buy a sub before buying HT surrounds, if I had to choose between those two things.

So really looking forward to the little sub arriving here in early October.

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to know if it is possible to link the  Sub Mini at Sonos speakers configurated in stereo mode ?

Kind regards.

Yes. 

I currently have the larger Sub in the lounge, bonded to a Sonos Arc/surrounds and another in the Dining Room with Beam2/surrounds.

I did originally have a Beam (gen1) in the Dining room and that got moved to the main bedroom TV and bonded with two Ones that were already in that room… so my plan is to just add the sub-mini to that bedroom setup, as I also have a desk/office area in the bedroom and I think the sub-mini will be ideal in there without being too overpowering. 

If I had not got the second sub in the Dining Room with the Beam gen2 - I might have got the sub-mini for that room too. 

I do really like a Sub. I just think it can make a huge difference to the overall TV/Music sound ..and so nowadays, I would certainly buy a sub before buying HT surrounds, if I had to choose between those two things.

So really looking forward to the little sub arriving here in early October.

That sounds perfect 😀. I’m very tempted to get one as I have a Beam gen 2 plus normal sub and surrounds in the lounge, plus I have 2 stereo Fives on their own, also in the lounge. A mini could either go with the Fives or replace the Beam set up’s sub and that sub go with the Fives. I may get one and try both set ups. 

Hi all,

I have a Playbar paired with two Sonos Ones and they are being controlled via Sonos OS S2.

Does anyone know if this new sub mini is compatible with this set up so I can make 5.1?

I the description of the sub doesnt mention the Playbar.

Thanks

Mark

Hi all,

I have a Playbar paired with two Sonos Ones and they are being controlled via Sonos OS S2.

Does anyone know if this new sub mini is compatible with this set up so I can make 5.1?

Thanks

Mark

Yes, the sub-mini will work with your setup. See here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5116

Hi all,

Thanks

Mark

Yes, the sub-mini will work with your setup. See here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5116

That’s great, thanks Ken!

So I decided to take my Sub gen 3 out of my HT room (Beam gen 2 plus One SL surrounds) and bond it to my Fives. Note all these speakers are in my lounge so the Sub could stay physically where it is which is actually quite near the Fives anyway.  I re-did Trueplay for both setups and wow, I love how the Fives sound. They were fabulous before but the extra low bass adds a kind of wholeness now. 
So now I kinda have to get the Sub mini to complete my Beam HT setup haha. I even have a nice little place for it to go 

A rather favourable review of the Sub-Mini (spec.) before actually formally hearing how it sounds by Peter Pee:

https://youtu.be/6R4Q-l9I46Y

I thought the facts about the driver-surface-area is interesting and I can’t wait to hear how the Sub-Mini compares to the Sonos Sub (gen3).

Was indeed interesting. Driver surface area also has to be associated with an appropriately powerful magnet to drive them. Given the weight (and I found that intersting about Gen 2 and Gen 3 Subs) it remains to be seen how that will work. Or even if any of that Mayt tech is in it. 

Looking forward to hands on reviews. Can’t imagine it will be bad at all, the question is, how good is it? Replace my Gen 2 Subs good? Or just add on to some music speakers good? :)

. Can’t imagine it will be bad at all, the question is, how good is it? Replace my Gen 2 Subs good? Or just add on to some music speakers good? :)

I have not heard any credible report of the latest Sub being any different than the first Sub released back in the day, and the latest version is at a significant price point higher than the Mini. That suggests that Sonos believes Mini won’t replace your existing Sub, unless the latter is too powerful for the space. But on its own, I would expect a One pair or even 5 pair + Mini to be in HiFi class as long as the room is not too big for those set ups to shine in, especially after Trueplay tuning.

Will the Sub Mini pair with the Arc? Or am I being an idiot? Is there any point in pairing it with an Arc?

As to the point, I would say pick you sub (full or mini) based on the size of the room, not the size of the soundbar you’re bonding it to.

On that note, I saw a Sonos Twitter feed saying sub mini was extensively tested in a 15 x 20 feet room, and that being the max size the sub mini should be used in. Is that right? I haven't been able to find a whole lot of guidance as to what Sonos considers a small to mid size room.

I have an Arc with 2 symfonisk frame speakers and my living room is 15 x 16 ft with 8 ft ceilings and am trying to decide between sub mini or sub 3.  

On that note, I saw a Sonos Twitter feed saying sub mini was extensively tested in a 15 x 20 feet room, and that being the max size the sub mini should be used in. Is that right? I haven't been able to find a whole lot of guidance as to what Sonos considers a small to mid size room.

I have an Arc with 2 symfonisk frame speakers and my living room is 15 x 16 ft with 8 ft ceilings and am trying to decide between sub mini or sub 3.  

Sounds like either would work in your setup so maybe it will come down to price? You could wait to see what reviewers say as hopefully some will compare both subs in various set ups 😊. It’s a shame you don’t already have a regular sub (and then buy the mini) to compare yourself.

Sonos offers a no questions asked full refund that should be available to you. Get both, true play both in situ, and return the one that suits less.

Sonos offers a no questions asked full refund that should be available to you. Get both, true play both in situ, and return the one that suits less.

Get both, put the big one in your big room and the mini in a smaller room, tell the spouse returning one was way too much hassle. :-)