Skip to main content

Hi all,

Today we announce the Sub Mini, the wireless subwoofer that sets a new standard in its category for powerful, balanced bass.

Available in matte black and white, Sub Mini will be available globally starting October 6.

Sonos Sub Mini

Small but Mighty: Sub Mini Boosts Bass Across Movies, Music, Gaming and More

Bass without the Buzzkill: Dual custom woofers and advanced processing generate deep, dynamic low end with no buzz or rattle, helping you feel more immersed in every scene and song. Within the acoustically sealed cabinet, both woofers face inward to create a force-canceling effect that neutralizes distortion. 

Balanced Sound: Advanced digital signal processing maximizes bass response and reproduces the full-toned low frequencies expected from a much larger subwoofer, allowing paired speakers like Beam, Ray, One, or One SL to focus on more mid-range and high frequencies for a richer, more powerful sound experience all around.

Pairs Well With…: Drum up the drama in every movie scene by pairing Beam or Ray with Sub Mini, or drop it even lower on your at-home dance floor by making Sub Mini your Sonos One’s plus one. 

Looking Great at Every Angle: Unlike other subwoofers, Sub Mini features a round design that allows it to blend naturally into your home aesthetic without taking too much space (or attention). 

Seamless Set-Up: Add Sub Mini to your Sonos system in just a few taps on the Sonos app, mixing and matching with different Sonos speakers to create your perfect sound system, whether you’re hosting a housewarming party or movie night with friends. You can also fine tune Sub Mini’s sound with Trueplay, which detects and adapts the speaker’s sound for reflections off of walls and furniture, giving you the best listening experience for your room and setup. 

Sonos Sub Mini

Building on the award-winning design of Sub, Sub Mini delivers rich, clear low end in a more compact, cylindrical design.

Sub Mini will be available globally starting October 6 2022 for $429USD, £429, €499, $699AUD. For more information, please visit Sonos.com

Read here the full press release on Sonos Sub Mini.

Looks nice. I will await Peter Pee’s reviews on it. I have the normal one in the lounge with my Beam G2 which is great. I also have a stereo pair of Fives in the lounge which I would consider pairing this with although some say the Fives may not benefit much from being paired with the mini sub. My other HT set ups are in the bedrooms but I’m not sure I can justify paying this much just for more bass while watching TV in bed.

While reviews are valuable, I think the best way to determine if the Sub Mini ads value is to try it out in the various room(s) where you’re considering it.  I think I’ll be ordering just one for now, possible a 2nd one later on depending on what I think of it.

That’s dangerous talk when talking to a Sonos addict 🤣

Hi @Jagielak,

If this is how moderators treat their customers that spends thousands of £$ on their products and just remove all the comments they don't like then I honestly want to throw all my Sonos products through my window... Sonos what did you expect ?! Realease new product but don't fix the problem for two months ... It would end if we had any respond from you or update on it ... Instead we get bullying and comments removed...

We don’t remove comments ‘we don’t like’  - we remove comments that are off-topic. As soon as we have any answers to your question we’ll post them in the appropriate topics. Any further off topic comments in this thread will be removed. Please feel free to continue discussing firmware versions in relevant topics.

I’m a little surprised that this can’t be used in pairs, but looks like Sonos really wants to focus this on smaller rooms, rather than cause debate on whether 1 sub or 2 minis are better for a larger room.  

I must have missed that you can’t pair it like the Big Sub. Guess that answers my biggest question-One Big or Two Minis for my Arc/Ones Setup. Too bad but I get it and maybe redundant or just inferior OR it was just a product marketing decision.

Should I get a new Mini Sub or Sub Gen3 to pair with 2 X Five's. Which will work better together???

@Corry P any idea when it will be available to order from Best Buy?

Should I get a new Mini Sub or Sub Gen3 to pair with 2 X Five's. Which will work better together???

Sub 3 - when fixed 

I had a voucher to use up, so pre-order for Sub-Mini placed. (I plan to use it in the main bedroom with beam/surrounds)… thanks Sonos.👍

Exactly my use case, Beam 1 with 2 Play Ones in bedroom. It was difficult to only pull the trigger on the Mini Sub and not a whole new setup but I showed restraint. Indeed, thank you Sonos! 😎

@Corry P any idea when it will be available to order from Best Buy?

Best Buy sites says 10/6 so basically same release date.  I guess BB isn’t doing pre orders.

I had a voucher to use up, so pre-order for Sub-Mini placed. (I plan to use it in the main bedroom with beam/surrounds)… thanks Sonos.👍

Exactly my use case, Beam 1 with 2 Play Ones in bedroom. It was difficult to only pull the trigger on the Mini Sub and not a whole new setup but I showed restraint. Indeed, thank you Sonos! 😎

I had almost the same thought.  Keeping the Play 1s, but considered upgrading the Beam 1 with Gen 2 while getting the Mini.  Decided to pass as I don’t care about atmos TV in that room, it would be for atmos music.  And it seems like there needs to be more content to justify that.  I may very weill change my mind in the next few months though!

@Corry P can you have Sonos add for a shopping option set: 1 Sub Mini AND either 1 or 2 Subs? Call it the “All About the Bass” Set. Get Meghan Trainor to do the ad for it. Look at that free marketing advice- well, actually I’ll just take an All About the Bass set for payment please. 🤣

Ok, you’ve tickled my fancy with the Meghan Trainor thought. Well done, sir! ;)

Why won’t this work with Playbase? 
Is PB old architecture?

I love my PB but it seems to have been dropped like a stone. 

Hi @CurryTruck,

Sub Mini will work with Playbase, but it’s not a recommended pairing as Playbase was designed for larger rooms and contains its own subwoofer internally.

Sub Mini is designed to be bonded with smaller products in smaller spaces so it may end up overpowered by a larger home theater product, such as Arc or Playbase.

For what it’s worth, I also love my Playbase so you’re not alone here 🙂

Ah, ok. Thanks for all the replies. 
In my 7.5m x 4m lounge I have a TV set up with PB at one end and music set up with a pair of One SLs with a Sub at the other. 
Maybe I’ll move the Sub back to the PB and get a Mini for the One pair. 

This seems like such a slap to the face. I haven't been able to use my Arc, 2 gen 3 subs and 2 One's for the past 2 months because of these horrific updates and they go and release a new sub. So much for caring about your customers. 

It would be interesting to note the difference between the 2 types of Subs. I have 2 Fives and I’d be tempted to get the mini to put with them 

Will this thing pair with 2 Roams? I couldn’t tell ( or overlooked it ) in the product description.

Will this thing pair with 2 Roams? I couldn’t tell ( or overlooked it ) in the product description.

No, the portable speakers cannot bond with any Subs.

It would be interesting to note the difference between the 2 types of Subs. I have 2 Fives and I’d be tempted to get the mini to put with them 

Or ........ In my lounge I have a beam Gen 2 plus surrounds and a sub gen 3. I also have a stereo pair of Fives. Would it be better to use a mini sub with the beam set up and use the sub gen 3 with the fives?

Or ........ In my lounge I have a beam Gen 2 plus surrounds and a sub gen 3. I also have a stereo pair of Fives. Would it be better to use a mini sub with the beam set up and use the sub gen 3 with the fives?

In general, I would say that the Beam needs the bass more that the Fives do, but it comes down to your TV and music listening habits.  If your  TV watching tends to be shows that don’t use much bass, but you want bass in your music,  then use the mini with the beam and sub with the Fives.  If it’s the other way around then switch accordingly.  If you’re ‘lucky’, the Mini sounds good for both setups, and you can buy 2 minis and use the sub somewhere else. 

In general, I would say that the Beam needs the bass more that the Fives do, but it comes down to your TV and music listening habits.  If your  TV watching tends to be shows that don’t use much bass, but you want bass in your music,  then use the mini with the beam and sub with the Fives.  If it’s the other way around then switch accordingly.  If your ‘lucky’, the Mini sounds good for both setups, and you can buy 2 minis and use the sub somewhere else. 

Good thinking Danny. Really I'm just working at convincing myself I need one of these haha

Is it possible to include the mini sub in the same room theatre set up which includes a gen 3 sub, as in the way two full-fat subs can work together?

Interestingly just listened to Peter Pee's initial thoughts and he mentions that due to it being sealed and not ported like the regular Sub, it could work very well with a pair of Fives as sealed subs work well for music? 

Is it possible to include the mini sub in the same room theatre set up which includes a gen 3 sub, as in the way two full-fat subs can work together?

No.  The sub mini cannot be bonded to a Sonos room that already has a Sub or Sub mini in it.

This seems like such a slap to the face. I haven't been able to use my Arc, 2 gen 3 subs and 2 One's for the past 2 months because of these horrific updates and they go and release a new sub. So much for caring about your customers. 

Don’t quite understand the drama. It’s not unusable, it’s what you perceive to be inferior based on previous experience. I have the same equipment and mine works just fine. Maybe relax a little bit. 

Interestingly just listened to Peter Pee's initial thoughts and he mentions that due to it being sealed and not ported like the regular Sub, it could work very well with a pair of Fives as sealed subs work well for music? 

I’m not an expert on ported/sealed subs by any means, but it’s my understanding is that, besides techincal differences, different people have preferences on whether they prefer sealed or ported subs when it comes to music.  Sealed will sound tighter, while Port is more ‘boom’.  In comparison between Sub and Sub mini, I would think the volume that they can produce would be a bigger factor in determine which is the better option for your tastes and use case.  Well, price is a factor too, of course.

So maybe if your Fives are oversized for the space and you never crank it up too loud, then the Mini may be a better fit for you.  I’ll still think it’s trying it out is the best way to go.

Don’t quite understand the drama. It’s not unusable, it’s what you perceive to be inferior based on previous experience. I have the same equipment and mine works just fine. Maybe relax a little bit. 

Sonos has confirmed the bug, it’s affecting some users, but not all. So perhaps when you read frustrated posters relax a little bit and move on.