Skip to main content

Available starting February 2019, Sonos Amp is the all-new, versatile amplifier to power all your entertainment and bring the sonic content you love to every room of your home. The Amp has been redesigned with more than twice the power of the original Connect:Amp, with more versatility, and will enable new experiences through the platform.

Play your favorite streaming content on Sonos, connect to your TV through HDMI-ARC, or plug into any audio device, including a turntable to power your vinyl collection.

Sonos Amp will fit in any home environment, whether as a compact and elegant solution for in-rack AV installations, wall mounted, tucked under furniture, or on display in a room.

Details and Specs

Physical Specs Amp comes in Matte black with black and silver banana plugs all in a standard rack fit size. The dimensions are 8.54 x 8.54 x 2.52 in. (217 mm (w) x 217 mm (d) x 64 mm (h)) and it weighs 4.6 lbs. (2.1 kg). Custom banana plugs that accept 10 - 18 AWG speaker wire and the Class-D digital amplifier sends a maximum of 125W per channel at 8 Ohms.

The subwoofer output is auto-detecting RCA with adjustable crossover (50 to 110Hz).

Capable of using two line-in sources, analog RCA audio input, and HDMI-ARC inputs. Amp plays Dolby Digital 5.1 or PCM stereo sound over HDMI-ARC.

Versatile Design

Use Sonos Amp to power your installed speakers as a separate Sonos room, or bond it with a pair of Sonos Ones, Play:1s, Play:3s, or Play:5s to become a surround sound setup that you can use with your TV. You can also use Amp to add your speakers as rears to a Sonos home-theater setup (by wirelessly bonding an Amp with Beam, Playbar, or Playbase) or use two Sonos Amps (one for the front right and left channels, the other for the rear channels) for surround sound.

The Sonos Amp drives left and right speakers, and it will create a phantom center channel when sent discrete audio for that channel.

Sonos Amp has all the features of Sonos in a powerful package:

• Sonos supports over 100 services. Choose the ones you want and listen to music, podcasts, radio, and audiobooks. You can also play all the music stored on your computer or other devices.
  • Sonos has built a software platform that enables hundreds of partners and gives our customers unparalleled freedom of choice. Amp features AirPlay 2, access to home automation partners, and voice control when wirelessly connected with Amazon Echo or Alexa-enabled devices, including Sonos One and Beam.
  • Use the Sonos app on your phone or tablet, your TV remote, keypads, AirPlay 2, or your voice with Amazon Echo and Alexa-enabled devices.
  • New APIs and deeper integrations with our platform partners let you create seamless smart home control.
  • Sonos is a system. Start with Amp and expand into more rooms with additional speakers through WiFi.
  • Sonos regularly updates with new features, voice services, and API integrations, so your options are always up to date and improving.

Availability

General availability on February 5, 2019 for $599 USD (£599 GBP, €699 EUR). Early access for installed solutions professionals on December 1 in the United States and Canada. Sign up to be notified of availability on Sonos.com.

For more details, check out our blog post on the Sonos Amp here.

Mono? Do we get the mono option with this amp?
Hi Ryan, another question from me, I want the amp to get the digital signal from my tv but not keen on loosing one of my hdmi inputs from my tv for this job for what is only an audio signal. My tv output full dd from the optical port so I know Sonos does a hdmi to optical adapter so I could use that to link to the new amp but here is my question: how does this effect using your tv remote to control the Sonos Amp volume? It appears to me (I could be wrong) that Sonos soundbars have ir receivers in them, does the new Sonos Amp also have an ir receiver? Many thanks,
Should have said I know optical sacrifices cec over hdmi but that’s not a big issue for me personally.
Mono? Do we get the mono option with this amp?

Yes, there's an option to have the outputs both send mono audio.

how does this effect using your tv remote to control the Sonos Amp volume? It appears to me (I could be wrong) that Sonos soundbars have ir receivers in them, does the new Sonos Amp also have an ir receiver? Many thanks,

The Amp does have an IR receiver, it'll work just the same as the Playbar would.

I have a play bar and sub and was going to get 2x one or play1 for rears. I am assuming I don need amp in my life for anything different?

Still not capable of atmos is it?

No, the Sonos Amp doesn't support Atmos. It does support Dolby Digital 5.1, which is compatible with Atmos however.
OMG, it's been a while since last here and I see this Sticky - so 🆒 Any free samples @Ryan S
Dave you missed out - he was Sending out free ones to the first 10 posters. 🙂
Dave you missed out - he was Sending out free ones to the first 10 posters. :)

Oh Chris, not funny (well it is really) just trying to get back into my IFTTT account and it's a nightmare so not a happy person
The following questions are in the context of a 2.0 system with the AMP driving a pair of floorstanders in a A/V system.

I'm wondering if the Amp could replace my integrated amplifier and separate DAC in this 2.0 system. This system has no Sonos connectivity, but we have a Connect in another system and a Play5 in the kitchen.

1) What audio codecs/formats, bit depths, and sampling frequencies will the Amp's HDMI input handle without transcoding/resampling/down-sampling?

2) For example, if a 24/48 LPCM 2.0 track from a Blu-ray concert is sent to a TV over HDMI, will the Amp's ARC HDMI input play this 24/48 LPCM 2.0 track at the full/native 24 bit resolution, or will the Amp down-sample to a lower bit depth?

Of course, this assumes that the TV's HDMI ARC passes the native 24/48 LPCM 2.0.

3) Will the controller software show the audio format, bit depth, and sampling frequency of the HDMI input?

This would be nice.

4) What is the bit depth of the Amp's DAC/processor and volume control? 24 bit, 32 bit?

5) As a side question, could the Amp's HDMI input be used for hi-res 24/96 LPCM files on a PC without transcoding/resampling/down-sampling, using the PC's HDMI out and PC playback software?

I don't personally have a use for this, but could it be a hidden capability for folks that have hi-res music files on their PC?

6) I read about "phantom center" with the Amp. Is this a DSP function that can be turned on/off?

I personally would not want a phantom center DSP that is always on, as that would mess up 2 channel music mixes.
Regarding sample rates I assume everything will be indentical to the Beam.

No way to know regarding the center until release. I would aaaume some control over.
The phantom centre is stated to operate when a discrete centre channel exists in the source, so presumably no phantom centre when used for stereo music.
Sound alike good way to do it.
Regarding sample rates I assume everything will be indentical to the Beam.

No way to know regarding the center until release. I would aaaume some control over.

OK, what formats/bid depths/sampling rates can the Beam natively handle over HDMI without transcoding/resampling/down-sampling?
The phantom centre is stated to operate when a discrete centre channel exists in the source, so presumably no phantom centre when used for stereo music.

So, I wonder if this is just standard 5.1 to 2.0 down-mixing typical of what any AVR can do. This would make sense and would be the right way to handle 5.1 in a 2.0 system.

The other possibility is that the Amp is applying a separate DSP function outside of the normal 5.1 to 2.0 downmix that is part of the DD spec.

In either case, as long as a 2.0 source is not DSP'd to create a phantom center, all is well.
It will only take Dolby digital or PCM (no 24 bit).
It will only take Dolby digital or PCM (no 24 bit).

Do you mean only 16 bit PCM?

PCM can be 16, 20, 24 bit, etc.
I believe e 16 only. But other May know better.
Ryan S said 'The Amp does have an IR receiver' but the specs do not report that, they say an optical adapter can be bought but this seems to use HDMI as input on the Sonos device. I have a TV with HDMI ARC but have no experience of it. Using this can I control the TV volume from the TV's speakers independently of the Sonos Amp volume? at present I have a Connect and an integrated amplifier. The TV optical out goes to the amplifier. I can control the amplifier volume with a Logitech remote. I can also control the TV volume with the same remote. This is good as I can switch to using the TV speakers late at night to make less disturbance. Does the HDMI ARC facility permit this or is the volume always tied to the TV? It would be nice if the Sonos amp could replace my integrated amp + connect setup. I suppose there is always the option to turn the Sonos amp off. If you do that does HDMI ARC 'turn off' and volume output automatically go to the TV built in speakers?
Your tv should have setting to turn arc on or off and therefore switch between Sonos amp and tv speakers.
Will the amp support dialog enhancement with 3rd party front speakers?
All assumptions are that when listening to HDMI input you will get the same night mode and dialog enhancement options as you would with Beam or Playbar/base.
Nice one. I really like dialog enhancement.
It sounds like anyone can buy the amp online in December? I'm ready to buy now.

I got a Beam then rear Sonos Ones and my sub arrives Thursday. The Beam was the gateway drug for me :-)

I'll replace the Beam with towers speakers and the sub and rear ones.
Don’t know about Sonos online store. I think they are trying to give exclusive to local dealers for that month (not chains).
Yeah its not clear to me based on what I have read.

I don't know if installers will just sell you one.
I think installers just means local shops.