Skip to main content

Available starting February 2019, Sonos Amp is the all-new, versatile amplifier to power all your entertainment and bring the sonic content you love to every room of your home. The Amp has been redesigned with more than twice the power of the original Connect:Amp, with more versatility, and will enable new experiences through the platform.

Play your favorite streaming content on Sonos, connect to your TV through HDMI-ARC, or plug into any audio device, including a turntable to power your vinyl collection.

Sonos Amp will fit in any home environment, whether as a compact and elegant solution for in-rack AV installations, wall mounted, tucked under furniture, or on display in a room.

Details and Specs

Physical Specs Amp comes in Matte black with black and silver banana plugs all in a standard rack fit size. The dimensions are 8.54 x 8.54 x 2.52 in. (217 mm (w) x 217 mm (d) x 64 mm (h)) and it weighs 4.6 lbs. (2.1 kg). Custom banana plugs that accept 10 - 18 AWG speaker wire and the Class-D digital amplifier sends a maximum of 125W per channel at 8 Ohms.

The subwoofer output is auto-detecting RCA with adjustable crossover (50 to 110Hz).

Capable of using two line-in sources, analog RCA audio input, and HDMI-ARC inputs. Amp plays Dolby Digital 5.1 or PCM stereo sound over HDMI-ARC.

Versatile Design

Use Sonos Amp to power your installed speakers as a separate Sonos room, or bond it with a pair of Sonos Ones, Play:1s, Play:3s, or Play:5s to become a surround sound setup that you can use with your TV. You can also use Amp to add your speakers as rears to a Sonos home-theater setup (by wirelessly bonding an Amp with Beam, Playbar, or Playbase) or use two Sonos Amps (one for the front right and left channels, the other for the rear channels) for surround sound.

The Sonos Amp drives left and right speakers, and it will create a phantom center channel when sent discrete audio for that channel.

Sonos Amp has all the features of Sonos in a powerful package:

• Sonos supports over 100 services. Choose the ones you want and listen to music, podcasts, radio, and audiobooks. You can also play all the music stored on your computer or other devices.
  • Sonos has built a software platform that enables hundreds of partners and gives our customers unparalleled freedom of choice. Amp features AirPlay 2, access to home automation partners, and voice control when wirelessly connected with Amazon Echo or Alexa-enabled devices, including Sonos One and Beam.
  • Use the Sonos app on your phone or tablet, your TV remote, keypads, AirPlay 2, or your voice with Amazon Echo and Alexa-enabled devices.
  • New APIs and deeper integrations with our platform partners let you create seamless smart home control.
  • Sonos is a system. Start with Amp and expand into more rooms with additional speakers through WiFi.
  • Sonos regularly updates with new features, voice services, and API integrations, so your options are always up to date and improving.

Availability

General availability on February 5, 2019 for $599 USD (£599 GBP, €699 EUR). Early access for installed solutions professionals on December 1 in the United States and Canada. Sign up to be notified of availability on Sonos.com.

For more details, check out our blog post on the Sonos Amp here.

Why why why WHY not just supply with a cabled center speaker out on the new AMP - instead of trying to make a "phantom center channel" or "simulated center channel" - it makes no sense at all !!! It seems that you have made so many things right - why not go the full distance ???
Hi! How do Sonos messure the power to 125w/ch? 20-20 000hz and both channels at the same time?

I know amps that Will outpower Sonos connect amp 55w. They say just 40w...
What is the wattage in 4 ohms for the amp. I have a pair of Thiel 1.6 that run consistently in the 4 ohm range.
Why why why WHY not just supply with a cabled center speaker out on the new AMP - instead of trying to make a "phantom center channel" or "simulated center channel" - it makes no sense at all !!! It seems that you have made so many things right - why not go the full distance ???

If I could hazard a guess, I'd say it's because HT functionality is not the primary functionality of the Sonos Amp. The Amp is basically the replacement for the Connect:Amp, so it's safe to assume that the target usage is the same. That is to say that most people will use it to drive in-celiling or outdoor speakers. In many of those uses, there will not be a tv involved and thus no need for a center channel speaker. Even when there is a TV involve, there will be a lot of users that don't want to wire a center channel (I'd fit into this category personally). Adding another speaker output will increase cost, and possibly price, for a feature that many if not most will ever use. Honestly, I see the HDMI-ARC connection and simulated center channel as more of an easy add-on, reusing the research and functionality done for the Beam.

So that begs the question, why not have a second version of the amp, one with a dedicated center channel? My guess would be that there isn't a big enough market for it. Or perhaps customers who want 3 (or more) wired speakers with their amp are likely to go with 3rd party receiver + Sonos Connect option. And we really don't know what other products are coming down the pipeline anyway.
Out of curiosity; as it will be part of HT now, will it support TruePlay? (Not just for rears)
Out of curiosity; as it will be part of HT now, will it support TruePlay? (Not just for rears)

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/introducing-sonos-amp-6812069/index4.html#post16264828

Yes, with the Sonance speakers...

It's a bit buried, so I'll repost it for you.

Trueplay will be available for some setups with the Sonos Amp, such as using it as the surround speakers with a Playbar, Playbase, or Beam. You'll also be able to use Trueplay with the Sonance speakers we're partnering together to develop.

When used with other speakers that the Sonance ones we're working with them to build, you won't be able to Trueplay the Amp unless it's the surrounds as listed above.

Edit melvimbe beat me to it.
Thanks! That's unfortunate. I was planning to use the new AMP as front feed for 2 bookshelves and my SVS sub and 2 Play 1's as rears. So in that case I'd need to tweak/level it myself. Hmm ... thanks! Still on my shortlist, but liking TruePlay this would be a great option.
Sorry if my question sounds obvious, but I am quite a noob, and not being a native English speaker also may not help understand subtleties.

Assuming I buy ONE Sonos Amp when it's available, is that enough to have a 4.1 (or simulated 5.1 with phantom center) surround setup for my TV with two passive front speakers + a sub + two wireless Sonos speakers as rear speakers?

Or would I need a second Sonos Amp to be able to use rear speakers?
One Amp, one Sub, and two Sonos wireless speakers is all you need.
If use amp for fronts you can hook a powere subwoofer to the amp for the .1.

For the rears you would need a second amp or 2 play speakers
Great, thanks!
I have a question about Alexa voice control for a 4.0 (phantom 5.0) set up using the new Sonos Amp with a none sonos passive speakers at the front and then a pair of Sonos speakers for the rears. The question is which pair of Sonos speakers to use as the rears for best Alexa voice control? If I got a pair of Sonos One would they both listen and repond to Alexa voice commands? Or just the closest one to the person speaking? And just checking that using as surrounds doesn’t deactivate voice? Alternatively I assume a pair of Sonos Play:1 with an Amazon Echo Dot would work fine but not as keen on having an extra box?
Yes they would listen to which hears you best and the one that heard you best would respond. Or your could turn off the microphone on one of them so only one responds. Yes they would work fine alexa control from rears.
Wow, this is really disappointing. This device looked so promising until I saw that it doesn't support a real center channel. I would have bought 2 of these to replace my Denon 5.1 setup which I am not happy with. But Sonos really dropped the ball here. How can you still not have a solution for this using my own speakers and not your sound bar?
Tried looking for an answer but...I want to check if the new amp could integrate my two Kef speakers I use for my turntable into a true 5.1 setup??

Could the playbar become centre only, my two non Sonos speakers a front left and right channel, my two Sonos ones as rear, and sub as...the sub?
Tried looking for an answer but...I want to check if the new amp could integrate my two Kef speakers I use for my turntable into a true 5.1 setup??

Could the playbar become centre only, my two non Sonos speakers a front left and right channel, my two Sonos ones as rear, and sub as...the sub?

No. Sonos soundbars cannot be used as just a center channel.
You could use the Amp and your existing speakers as the front right and left channels of their own (Sonos) Room and group that Room with the Room containing the soundbar, sub and surrounds. That would give you a wider stereo image but how it would sound is hard to predict as the speakers wouldn't be a close match.
You could use the Amp and your existing speakers as the front right and left channels of their own (Sonos) Room and group that Room with the Room containing the soundbar, sub and surrounds. That would give you a wider stereo image but how it would sound is hard to predict as the speakers wouldn't be a close match.

That is also likely to give you an echo effect as the soundbar and amp (existing speakers) will be slightly out of sync, amp trailing the soundbar. it will be fine for music sources, but not for tv.
I am hopeful that one of the standard setups for the Amp will give an effect virtually indistinguishable from true 5.1. Amp with passive speakers for front L and R, plus 'ghost' centre, Two Play speakers bonded as surrounds, plus Sub.
In fact, I would say that this is very likely to be better than a Playbar as centre and passives L and R, because of the tonal differences in the latter setup.
Been watching this discussion for some time.. Personally I think it's a real step forward, but one question which was briefly mentioned early on that I found no answer for: Will there be a similar update for :Connect(non-amp)?

If this new Amp had RCA outs (alas it does not) I would purchase it immediately as an update for for my Connect simply for the added HDMI-ARC and the spankin' black new look that would sit much more nicely in my setup.

I'd love to retire my :Connect to turntable-only duty. My application is simple as pie but I'm not willing to abandon my old Marantz. Each time I have, I return back to it eventually. 🙂 But I sure would appreciate HDMI-ARC. Have there been any development discussions toward a combined release unit that unifies the two, :Amp & :Connect?? But again, will there be an update for :Connect to follow?
Trueplay will be available for some setups with the Sonos Amp, such as using it as the surround speakers with a Playbar, Playbase, or Beam. You'll also be able to use Trueplay with the Sonance speakers we're partnering together to develop.

Any word on whether :Connect will receive a similar refresh, Ryan?

Any word on whether :Connect will receive a similar refresh, Ryan?

No word at this time. If there is, we'll be sure to share it here in the community. I'll let the team know you're looking for it.
I have a play bar and sub and was going to get 2x one or play1 for rears. I am assuming I don need amp in my life for anything different?

Still not capable of atmos is it?