Skip to main content

Available starting February 2019, Sonos Amp is the all-new, versatile amplifier to power all your entertainment and bring the sonic content you love to every room of your home. The Amp has been redesigned with more than twice the power of the original Connect:Amp, with more versatility, and will enable new experiences through the platform.

Play your favorite streaming content on Sonos, connect to your TV through HDMI-ARC, or plug into any audio device, including a turntable to power your vinyl collection.

Sonos Amp will fit in any home environment, whether as a compact and elegant solution for in-rack AV installations, wall mounted, tucked under furniture, or on display in a room.

Details and Specs

Physical Specs Amp comes in Matte black with black and silver banana plugs all in a standard rack fit size. The dimensions are 8.54 x 8.54 x 2.52 in. (217 mm (w) x 217 mm (d) x 64 mm (h)) and it weighs 4.6 lbs. (2.1 kg). Custom banana plugs that accept 10 - 18 AWG speaker wire and the Class-D digital amplifier sends a maximum of 125W per channel at 8 Ohms.

The subwoofer output is auto-detecting RCA with adjustable crossover (50 to 110Hz).

Capable of using two line-in sources, analog RCA audio input, and HDMI-ARC inputs. Amp plays Dolby Digital 5.1 or PCM stereo sound over HDMI-ARC.

Versatile Design

Use Sonos Amp to power your installed speakers as a separate Sonos room, or bond it with a pair of Sonos Ones, Play:1s, Play:3s, or Play:5s to become a surround sound setup that you can use with your TV. You can also use Amp to add your speakers as rears to a Sonos home-theater setup (by wirelessly bonding an Amp with Beam, Playbar, or Playbase) or use two Sonos Amps (one for the front right and left channels, the other for the rear channels) for surround sound.

The Sonos Amp drives left and right speakers, and it will create a phantom center channel when sent discrete audio for that channel.

Sonos Amp has all the features of Sonos in a powerful package:

• Sonos supports over 100 services. Choose the ones you want and listen to music, podcasts, radio, and audiobooks. You can also play all the music stored on your computer or other devices.
  • Sonos has built a software platform that enables hundreds of partners and gives our customers unparalleled freedom of choice. Amp features AirPlay 2, access to home automation partners, and voice control when wirelessly connected with Amazon Echo or Alexa-enabled devices, including Sonos One and Beam.
  • Use the Sonos app on your phone or tablet, your TV remote, keypads, AirPlay 2, or your voice with Amazon Echo and Alexa-enabled devices.
  • New APIs and deeper integrations with our platform partners let you create seamless smart home control.
  • Sonos is a system. Start with Amp and expand into more rooms with additional speakers through WiFi.
  • Sonos regularly updates with new features, voice services, and API integrations, so your options are always up to date and improving.

Availability

General availability on February 5, 2019 for $599 USD (£599 GBP, €699 EUR). Early access for installed solutions professionals on December 1 in the United States and Canada. Sign up to be notified of availability on Sonos.com.

For more details, check out our blog post on the Sonos Amp here.

Yet another new Sonos product with a microphone built into it. Yes there is a "physical" switch, but it does not physically disconnect the microphone from the circuit - it can still be enabled by software.

This is the furthest thing from "unparalleled freedom of choice". I do NOT want any microphones in my speakers, and if this is the future of all Sonos products I will be selling each and every one of my Sonos speakers and moving to an alternative solution; one that actually respects user privacy and choice. If there are any left...

Where does it say there is a microphone built in?

View the images of the back of the device; it has the same "physical" button as the Play One. In addition, to quote the features of the device: "Amp features AirPlay 2, access to home automation partners, and voice control when wirelessly connected with Amazon Echo or Alexa-enabled devices, including Sonos One and Beam. "

Home automation with voice control via Echo, Alexa, etc. requires a microphone.
View the images of the back of the device; it has the same "physical" button as the Play One. In addition, to quote the features of the device: "Amp features AirPlay 2, access to home automation partners, and voice control when wirelessly connected with Amazon Echo or Alexa-enabled devices, including Sonos One and Beam. "

The new Sonos Amp does not have a microphone. The button at the back is used for initial connection and setup, and is nothing to do with voice control.

The new Sonos Amp does not have a microphone. The button at the back is used for initial connection and setup, and is nothing to do with voice control.

I hope you are correct; I'm not holding my breath until the product is released. I see no mention of requiring another Sonos device that does have a microphone in order to take advantage of voice control features. If this doesn't have a microphone, that's a pretty big requirement for advertising such features as part of Sonos Amp.
No microphone. It specifically says you need a device listed that has alexa microphone in order to voice control.
No microphone. It specifically says you need a device listed that has alexa microphone in order to voice control. nothing is overly specific in their language. Even in the blog post about Amp their choice of words is rather vague when stating support for "Voice Assistants". Take that for a literal definition of "another device" if you like, but until I see confirmation of YES or NO in direct reference to this from Sonos I will remain skeptical (though more hopeful at this point).
In any case the Connect Amp is still available and you know it does not have a microphone. Unless you need Mono playback or Airplay2 then just get the less expensive Connect Amp and avoid any stress.
In any case the Connect Amp is still available and you know it does not have a microphone. Unless you need Mono playback or Airplay2 then just get the less expensive Connect Amp and avoid any stress.

I currently don't have a device that supports Airplay2 and would - ideally - like to have one. No surprise I won't buy a Play One, which leaves just the Play 5 and/or Amp at this point. With the Amp probably not having a mic (thank god) I would plan on selling my current Connect:Amp and getting an Amp.
I'm not seeing the microphone mentioned either, do see it will use voice control when paired with a device that does support it.

Snips from searching: (not fighting the forum to get links to all of the sources)

"Amp features AirPlay 2, access to home automation partners, and voice control when wirelessly connected with Amazon Echo or Alexa-enabled devices, including Sonos One and Beam."

"Use the Sonos app on your phone or tablet, your TV remote, keypads, AirPlay 2, or your voice with Amazon Echo and Alexa-enabled devices."

"View the images of the back of the device; it has the same "physical" button as the Play One. "

"The new Sonos Amp does not have a microphone. The button at the back is used for initial connection and setup, and is nothing to do with voice control."

"No microphone. It specifically says you need a device listed that has alexa microphone in order to voice control."
There is no ambiguous language. It has no microphone and no alexa listening ability. It can be controlled by an alexa device but it is not an alexa and has no listening ability. Case closed.
@sonossea, I'm happy to confirm officially for you what the others have said. The Sonos Amp does not have microphones built in. Because the unit was designed with home installations in mind, the idea that you might have several of them in a rack hiding somewhere in a closet made putting microphones in there a little unnecessary and counter-intuitive. There will be plenty of other installations where the microphones would have made sense, but we opted for keeping it simple. You can always add voice control to the room by using a pair of Sonos Ones as the surrounds, or by bringing an Amazon Echo device to the room.

Also, I understand the concern for privacy, but if it helps ease your mind, the Sonos players that do have voice control start with the microphones disabled. The only way to enable them is to go through the password protected settings to add voice services. Then, the microphones will be enabled, but you can always press the microphone symbol on the speaker with microphones to have them stop listening. You'll always know when the microphones are on as the LED linked with the microphone button is hardware connected with the microphones. They can't get power without the LED getting power.
Question from a newbie here... I have four pairs of Sonance Symphony S623TR in-ceiling speakers which are rated at 135 watts and 8 Ohms nominal, 6 Ohms minimum. I found the following article which leads me to believe the speakers would run at 8 Ohms and 250 watts: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/265?language=en_US. I believe I have see others mention four speaker set ups drop it to 4 Ohms which I think would be a problem in my case given the 6 Ohm minimum. Otherwise, will the 250 watts per channel be an issue? Bottom line, will my eight speakers be properly matched with just two new Amps (assuming two zones are sufficient, of course)?
Your speakers will work perfect. I believe the sonos amp will see them as a draw of 4ohms but that doesn’t effect the speakers. the wattage is also then used by both speakers so it doesn’t double the wattage to each speaker sees. Your good with the new Sonos:amp.
I am pretty sure this won’t work... but it’s worth asking anyways.

We currently use a Playbar/Sub/Connect:Amp for 5.1 in our HT. The Connect:Amp drives two in-Ceiling speakers. Our previous setup (traditional receiver/amp/etc) drove 6 purely in ceiling speakers - and these are still there.

I like the Playbar, but I really want the ARC connection for volume/CEC controls. In an ideal world, we would do either of th following two scenarios:

2 x Sonos Amps for 4.1 + Playbar as 3.0

In this setup, we would use one Amp to drive two ceiling speakers and act as the “controller” for everything. We would then use our Playbar as an additional 3.0 setup giving us a real center, and more depth on the FL/FR. Finally another amp would do the rear speakers, and our sub would be in there too.

Replace our Connect:Amp with Sonos Amp

I know we could simply upgrade our existing Connect:Amp to a Sonos Amp. However, as I read it, this will not let the Amp be the controller (thus taking in the HDMI-ARC connection). This would be a really good feature to add though. The Playbar sounds great and I don’t want to move to the smaller Beam... but we do want the ARC connection pretty badly. Can I please submit my vote for this feature in the future? Seems like a pure software issue right?
The ARC Connection is nice and if you really want it then I would try going with the new Sonos Amp for the front and then have it drive the existing Connect:Amp in rear and Sub (4.1). Repurpose the Playbar.

They say the Sonos Amp does a great job with simulated center channel.

You definately don't want to go down to a Beam - I would choose optical via Playbar over the beam for a 5.1 system.
The ARC Connection is nice and if you really want it then I would try going with the new Sonos Amp for the front and then have it drive the existing Connect:Amp in rear and Sub (4.1). Repurpose the Playbar.

They say the Sonos Amp does a great job with simulated center channel.

You definately don't want to go down to a Beam - I would choose optical via Playbar over the beam for a 5.1 system.

I think that's what we'll end up doing .. but I have low hopes that the two ceiling speakers will sound as good as the Playbar does, without the help of a dedicated center channel.

@Sonos team, can you comment on any possibility of being able to leverage a Beam/Playbar as a center channel in this type of a setup? Even if the Beam/Playbar continue to do their FL/C/FR audio, just in addition to the Amp's own FL/FR channels? In my experience, the dedicated center channel is the single most important speaker in a HT setup.
Your never going to get it to be center only. Maybe you should stick with playbar as I agree if the front are in ceiling the created center by amp is. It going to give you good center
@Sonos team, can you comment on any possibility of being able to leverage a Beam/Playbar as a center channel in this type of a setup? Even if the Beam/Playbar continue to do their FL/C/FR audio, just in addition to the Amp's own FL/FR channels? In my experience, the dedicated center channel is the single most important speaker in a HT setup.

It's not currently a planned setup, but I'll make sure you add your interest to the team.

Also worth noting that for voice control of the CEC it's best to have a voice-enabled Sonos player that's bonded as the surrounds. An Alexa enabled device in the room would have most voice control functions, but some of the CEC controls will perform better if there's a voice-enabled device as part of the "room".
Sonos rarely comments on future features and products like this. But you never know. My personal opinion is that Sonos is more likely to come out with a new speaker that can act as a center channel rather than allow the Beam/Playbar to be repurposed like this. But it's just an opinion.

It's also my opinion that Sonos will introduce a playbar 2.0 with HDMI-ARC before they come out with a center channel. If you have a secondary use in mind for the Sonos:amp, you may want to wait another 6 months or so to see if there is any noise about that, as it sounds more like the product you really want.

As far as the ARC functionality (CEC really), it's nice, but I don't find it to be that big of an improvement over optical. In my case anyway, the Samsung TV doesn't allow turning off the TV, or switching inputs through ARC. Volume related controls work, but you can do that through IR remote already.
It’s true that Sonos rarely mention, or publish, their roadmaps when it comes to these things, but I’m inclined to think the same as Melvimbe (Danny) here and that Sonos are possibly unlikely to re-purpose their existing devices, like the Beam etc. as a 'center only' surround speaker, particularly for use with the new Amp.

It makes more sense that Sonos will eventually come out with further products, like a PlayBar v2, for example, or some kind of new dedicated center device.

I will also be very surprised to see the Amp quickly adapted to work this way, as there is already a lot to (probably) test before its release to professional installers in early December and its general release to the public early next year.

I think the Amps fantom/ghost center channel is possibly here to stay when it is used with a TV, at least for the foreseeable future.
Please, please, please make also a white version! Otherwise I can not buy it. I have everything from you also because you have white products. And you do give people option until now, white and black . Please give this option further.

Thank you!
Just to be clear, when the new SONOS AMP is available, you will be able to pair with the SONOS SUB? But currently the SONOS CONNECT AMP you CANNOT pair with the SONOS SUB if you are using NON SONOS speakers with the CONNECT AMP?
Just to be clear, when the new SONOS AMP is available, you will be able to pair with the SONOS SUB? But currently the SONOS CONNECT AMP you CANNOT pair with the SONOS SUB if you are using NON SONOS speakers with the CONNECT AMP?

I've got some good news for you Anthony, first off, you absolutely will be able to pair a Sonos Amp with a Sonos Sub or another subwoofer using the sub output. But secondly, you can pair a current Connect:Amp with a Sonos Sub when using non-Sonos speakers. The Connect is the only Sonos player that can't pair with a Sonos Sub, largely because we have no way of controlling anything regarding whatever is downstream from the Connect, which would make for a terrible Sub experience.
Sounds great.

Question: With the Connect:Amp, when you use it to join with a Playbar to get surround speakers the sub output is disabled. With this one can I use my existing non sonos powered sub and rear surrounds and pair it with a playbar?
Can you use a beam to connect with the amp to pass on the sound signal from TV to it? Thus negating having to run an HDMI ARC cable all the way to the amp.

It seems from other questions you can’t use a beam in the 5.1 setup though, is this correct? Even if it acts as left/right and centre still
Sounds great.

Question: With the Connect:Amp, when you use it to join with a Playbar to get surround speakers the sub output is disabled. With this one can I use my existing non sonos powered sub and rear surrounds and pair it with a playbar?

Ryan answered this in his post below.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/introducing-sonos-amp-6812069/index1.html#post16263379

Can you use a beam to connect with the amp to pass on the sound signal from TV to it? Thus negating having to run an HDMI ARC cable all the way to the amp.

Any of the Sonos devices that connect to the TV (Beam, playbar, playbase, sonos amp) can send TV audio to any Sonos speaker or device setup as a separate room through the grouping functions. However if that speaker or device is not bonded with your device connected to the TV as a sub or rear speakers, then it will need to be setup as a separate room, and there will be a slight delay in the TV audio and it would only play stereo audio for that source.

If I'm understanding what your getting at, if you want to use the Sonos:amp as front speakers for a tv, the Sonos:amp really needs to be connected to the TV.

It seems from other questions you can’t use a beam in the 5.1 setup though, is this correct? Even if it acts as left/right and centre still

The Beam absolutely can be used in a 5.1 setup. It will be the front left/right/center and would then be bonded with a sub and/or rear speakers (sonos one/play:1/play:3/play:5/connect:amp/sonos amp). Whatever Sonos device is used for the front speakers (Beam, playbar, playbase, or Sonos amp) needs to be connected directly to the TV)