Skip to main content

Available starting February 2019, Sonos Amp is the all-new, versatile amplifier to power all your entertainment and bring the sonic content you love to every room of your home. The Amp has been redesigned with more than twice the power of the original Connect:Amp, with more versatility, and will enable new experiences through the platform.

Play your favorite streaming content on Sonos, connect to your TV through HDMI-ARC, or plug into any audio device, including a turntable to power your vinyl collection.

Sonos Amp will fit in any home environment, whether as a compact and elegant solution for in-rack AV installations, wall mounted, tucked under furniture, or on display in a room.

Details and Specs

Physical Specs Amp comes in Matte black with black and silver banana plugs all in a standard rack fit size. The dimensions are 8.54 x 8.54 x 2.52 in. (217 mm (w) x 217 mm (d) x 64 mm (h)) and it weighs 4.6 lbs. (2.1 kg). Custom banana plugs that accept 10 - 18 AWG speaker wire and the Class-D digital amplifier sends a maximum of 125W per channel at 8 Ohms.

The subwoofer output is auto-detecting RCA with adjustable crossover (50 to 110Hz).

Capable of using two line-in sources, analog RCA audio input, and HDMI-ARC inputs. Amp plays Dolby Digital 5.1 or PCM stereo sound over HDMI-ARC.

Versatile Design

Use Sonos Amp to power your installed speakers as a separate Sonos room, or bond it with a pair of Sonos Ones, Play:1s, Play:3s, or Play:5s to become a surround sound setup that you can use with your TV. You can also use Amp to add your speakers as rears to a Sonos home-theater setup (by wirelessly bonding an Amp with Beam, Playbar, or Playbase) or use two Sonos Amps (one for the front right and left channels, the other for the rear channels) for surround sound.

The Sonos Amp drives left and right speakers, and it will create a phantom center channel when sent discrete audio for that channel.

Sonos Amp has all the features of Sonos in a powerful package:

• Sonos supports over 100 services. Choose the ones you want and listen to music, podcasts, radio, and audiobooks. You can also play all the music stored on your computer or other devices.
  • Sonos has built a software platform that enables hundreds of partners and gives our customers unparalleled freedom of choice. Amp features AirPlay 2, access to home automation partners, and voice control when wirelessly connected with Amazon Echo or Alexa-enabled devices, including Sonos One and Beam.
  • Use the Sonos app on your phone or tablet, your TV remote, keypads, AirPlay 2, or your voice with Amazon Echo and Alexa-enabled devices.
  • New APIs and deeper integrations with our platform partners let you create seamless smart home control.
  • Sonos is a system. Start with Amp and expand into more rooms with additional speakers through WiFi.
  • Sonos regularly updates with new features, voice services, and API integrations, so your options are always up to date and improving.

Availability

General availability on February 5, 2019 for $599 USD (£599 GBP, €699 EUR). Early access for installed solutions professionals on December 1 in the United States and Canada. Sign up to be notified of availability on Sonos.com.

For more details, check out our blog post on the Sonos Amp here.

...does that include an HT setup invovled 2 Sonos Amps as well?

As of right now, it will not. If the Sonance speakers are in use in the front and back, it may be able to, but we're still working out all the details on that.

For the Sonance speakers, will trueplay be available on outdoor speakers as well? I have no idea if trueplay can be done outdoors, if that's even a logical question. I'd also assume trueplay will not function correctly if you wire 2 pair of speakers to one Amp.

Trueplay should be working the best it can outside as well, but again, we're still working out all the details. We'll be able to share more information later as things become available.
Hi, Sonos community

I have a Sonos home theater set up playbar+2 play 5’s+ Sub; would I be able to add more to my set up using the amp?
Hi, Sonos community

I have a Sonos home theater set up playbar+2 play 5’s+ Sub; would I be able to add more to my set up using the amp?

You can have up to 32 devices in one system Those devices can be bonded with other speakers to form virtual rooms. You would not be able to add anything to the your existing HT virtual room. In other words, the most you can get is a 5.1 setup, not 7.1 or beyond. You could also look at it as the most sonos devices you can have for one room is 4. You can create additional virtual rooms and group them other rooms as you wish though.

And I use the word 'virtual', because physically, you can place them all in the same room of course.
Hello,

I currently have a play5(2nd gen) and sub.

I purchased a Sony A9F TV that is capable of using its own speakers as a center speaker. Link provided below:

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info_id=1727&kbid=00201071&mdl=XBR55A9F

If I buy an additional play5(2nd gen) as well as the new AMP can I use this as a 3.1 system or do I need an actual AV receiver?

(Use Play:5's as stereo and TV as center speaker instead of having a "ghost" center speaker)

Thanks

Ry
robusnow,

The Sony TV passive centre speaker is where a 'receiver/amp' has a centre-front speaker out connection and so the answer here is 'No' as there is no such connection on the new Sonos Amp, so you would not be able to utilise the TV speaker, as a centre.

The Sonos amp would connect to the TV over HDMI-ARC and two Play 5 (gen2) can be linked to the Amp as a 3.0 setup, but there would still be a Phantom/Ghost Centre.
It is a great update for the power of the amp; but still not optical in.
It is a great update for the power of the amp; but still not optical in.

Like the Beam, you will be able to use an adapter to convert optical to hdmi-arc. It won't be included with the Amp, but will be available for purchase from Sonos.
Looks good, however, any plans for a updated Connect, with a 5/12V trigger out signal? What also have the HDMI port

Question for the new AMP

- Will you work as a real 5.1? What surround standards will be supported (DTS / DTS-HD / True HD / Atmos / etc etc)

- Will it be possible to combine the AMP in any way, eg Beam as true center (not simulated), AMP as front, AMP/P5/P3/P1 as back and a SUB/or any other SUB via RCA?
Looks good, however, any plans for a updated Connect, with a 5/12V trigger out signal? What also have the HDMI port

Sonos hasn't announced anything about a new Connect, so it's just a matter of speculation. I don't know that an HDMI-ARC port makes much sense on a Connect device since it does not have any amp or speakers itself, and could only relay the signal to a different amp. If it was able to send HT channels to other Sonos speakers, I don't know that it would really be a Connect anymore.

As for the 5/12V trigger, I very much doubt that. If it were going to be added, I think you'd see it on the Connect:amp. As well, I think Sonos would prefer that device communication be done wirelessly.

Question for the new AMP

- Will you work as a real 5.1? What surround standards will be supported (DTS / DTS-HD / True HD / Atmos / etc etc)

If 'real' means a separate left-right-center channel speakers, no. The amp supports the same standards as the other Sonos HT products, which is DD 5.1 or stereo. Using HDMI-ARC a tv should automatically convert an Atmos signal to DD 5.1.

- Will it be possible to combine the AMP in any way, eg Beam as true center (not simulated), AMP as front, AMP/P5/P3/P1 as back and a SUB/or any other SUB via RCA?

The amp cannot be used with as front left-right while any other speaker is used as a center speaker. When used as front speakers, it simulates the center, you can use a Sonos amp or third-party sub, and other sonos speaker as rears. The Amp can be used as rear speakers with a Beam/playbar/playbase/ another amp pretty much the same way a Connect:amp is used currently. When used as rears, the sub port is deactivated, same as it is with the Connect:amp.

Looking at it a different way, there are basically 3 ways you can use the Sonos:amp.

- To power passive speakers (stereo or mono) for a Sonos room/zone, similar to connect:amp today.

- to power rear speakers in a HT setup, similar to a connect:amp today.

- To act as front left-right-center speakers in a HT setup, similar to a beam/playbar/playbase today.

With some variations of course, and maybe some other way I haven't realized yet.
...does that include an HT setup invovled 2 Sonos Amps as well?

As of right now, it will not. If the Sonance speakers are in use in the front and back, it may be able to, but we're still working out all the details on that.

And what if both amps are connected to two Sonos speakers?

Or to break down that question:

I currently have 2.1 with two Play 5’s and a sub. Fantastic sound for music but also works really well for tv using line in (no sync issues whatsoever). Music has been my main driver for getting into Sonos and hence this set-up rather than a playbar. However, I might be tempted into getting AMP and use it as phantom 3.1. Would this work with trueplay?

If the ghost center would give improved sound experience when watching DD, I might also be tempted into getting a second amp and use that with a couple of ones as surround speakers. Would that then work with trueplay?

Of course, this would all feel a bit like over-priced patchwork and for that reason I might not do this at all. I am a bit baffled that you would need a second AMP for getting this set-up. Seems crazy you can use one AMP with Sonos rears and any (wired) speaker set as fronts, but not Sonos own flagship Play5 speakers as fronts. Sonos should start realizing that people in their main room want to both have best stereo sound coming out of pair of dedicated front speakers with sub AND surround sound when watching in DD. Of course all could be solved if a dedicated center was made available (the follow-up to play3?). Another option would be allowing one and the same sub to be used in connection with a pair of 5s for music and with playbar for HT, but I guess that will never happen.
@flyingpadrejr. I am a bit confused by your post. The Amp drives passive speakers. Sonos speakers are powered so using them as speakers with the Amp makes no sense. I am not sure if that is what you are suggesting.
Those Play:5s (assuming they're the second generation Play:5) could be used as the rear surrounds for a single Amp, but not as front right and left channels. When used as the room coordinator for a home theater, Amp operates as left, right, and phantom center channels, with up to four passive speakers connected to its amplifier. The unit itself has left and right channel outputs, in addition to the subwoofer output.

Trueplay can currently be used with Amp in two setups:

1. When it is operating as the surrounds for a Beam, Playbar, or Playbase.

2. When the Amp is configured on its own with the Sonance speakers we're working with them to produce.

While this may change in the future, these are currently the only two ways to use Trueplay with the Amp.
Hi John, thanks for your reply! Now I am also a bit confused 🙂 I am a technical layman here and don’t own the current amp. So I am basing my ‘insights’ on what I am reading here and in reviews.

I thought I had understood that you could also use the amp in connection with Sonos speakers? At least, I am reading stuff like ‘use your passive speakers as fronts and throw in a pair of ones for surround experience’ and ‘you can use amp with any type of sonos speaker to get ghost 3.0 experience’. But if I have understood this wrong and you can only use with passive speakers, please let me know.

I know that in principle it makes no sense to combine the AMP with sonos speakers brecause they are powered on their own. However, the purpose of using AMP in my home set up would be creating (ghost) 3.1 effect instead of 2.1 and potentially having a second AMP that would allow to have surround effects via sonos ones, while continue using my play5’s as fronts. If this makes no sense at all - please tell me.
And now I read Ryan’s response. That is clear - I had understood differently that you could (also) use Sonos speakers as separate fronts if the rears were wired to AMP. I’m sure I read that in this thread so more people might be confused here 🙂 In any way, no AMP for me then, because useless. I’ll just keep hoping that someday Sonos will produce a center and you can use seperate speakers as front left and right.
Well, useless for you possibly. I shall be at the front of the queue. New Sonos Amp and existing passive speakers at front, Play:1s for rears, plus Sonos Sub. But I suppose it depends where you start from. I have everything except the Amp.
Yes, I meant useless in my set-up. Happy for you and of course cool to use with passives if you have them 🙂
Yes, I meant useless in my set-up. Happy for you and of course cool to use with passives if you have them :-)And I hope you get what you are looking for - it is a fairly frequent request

Trueplay can currently be used with Amp in two setups:

1. When it is operating as the surrounds for a Beam, Playbar, or Playbase.

2. When the Amp is configured on its own with the Sonance speakers we're working with them to produce.

While this may change in the future, these are currently the only two ways to use Trueplay with the Amp.

This is incredibly disappointing. Was hoping to be able to use trueplay with my speakers. One might jump to the cynical conclusion that your collaboration with Sonance is why this feature isn't included.

However I know there could be a perfectly good reason for this and would love to hear it.
This is incredibly disappointing. Was hoping to be able to use trueplay with my speakers. One might jump to the cynical conclusion that your collaboration with Sonance is why this feature isn't included.

However I know there could be a perfectly good reason for this and would love to hear it.

It's actually quite the opposite. This is possible because of our partnership with Sonance. We have more data and information about the speakers themselves, and the variables involved, we will be able to properly use Trueplay with them. These are speakers that are being produced with Trueplay and the Sonos Amp in mind, as opposed to any other third party speakers out there.

You will be able to use Trueplay with those speakers you have and the Sonos Amp, but only if you're using those speakers as surrounds with a Beam, Playbase, or Playbar. And the tuning is more about finding a happy medium with the variables we're able to adjust.
[

It's actually quite the opposite. This is possible because of our partnership with Sonance. We have more data and information about the speakers themselves, and the variables involved, we will be able to properly use Trueplay with them. These are speakers that are being produced with Trueplay and the Sonos Amp in mind, as opposed to any other third party speakers out there.

You will be able to use Trueplay with those speakers you have and the Sonos Amp, but only if you're using those speakers as surrounds with a Beam, Playbase, or Playbar. And the tuning is more about finding a happy medium with the variables we're able to adjust.

Thanks for the answer. Hard to swallow though given other manufacturers have room tuning for third party speakers and these guys aren't in Sonos league in terms of software and development. So as a Sonos customer this doesn't pass the smell test imo.

Anyway I'm still looking at the amp positively however.
looking forward to getting a couple to run outdoor units with AirPlay 2 compatibility..

Love to get on the Beta if Sonos is running one.. Thanks
Already asked, but had no luck with an answer.

Will it support bridging?

I could sell my playbar and keeping the 2 sonos ones + sub to get 2 amps if they support bridging. The idea is to invest on some nice passive speakers, to power with a 250W * 2 configuration if the amp can bridge.

My idea was: 2 amps bonded in a stereo group, one providing a bridged mono 250W to the left and the other to the right. It would be a very cleaver way of opening sonos to mid to high end floor standing speakers owners. In case the amp couldn't do that I'll stick to my playbar as 125W doesn't really power big speakers
The Amp won't support that sort of setup, ThisGrace, it isn't designed to support any amplifier bridging.

The continuous average power is 125W per channel at 8ohm, and two can't be bonded together as a single amplifier. The surround sound configuration with two Amps bonded together has one operating as center, left and right channels, with the other running rear left and rights.

That said, the Amp can drive some very large speakers and I'd recommend you try it out if you have those speakers already. One on its own may do what you're hoping to accomplish with two together.

I'll pass along this as a suggestion for you to the team so they know someone's interested in seeing this sort of configuration.
Yet another new Sonos product with a microphone built into it. Yes there is a "physical" switch, but it does not physically disconnect the microphone from the circuit - it can still be enabled by software.

This is the furthest thing from "unparalleled freedom of choice". I do NOT want any microphones in my speakers, and if this is the future of all Sonos products I will be selling each and every one of my Sonos speakers and moving to an alternative solution; one that actually respects user privacy and choice. If there are any left...
Yet another new Sonos product with a microphone built into it. Yes there is a "physical" switch, but it does not physically disconnect the microphone from the circuit - it can still be enabled by software.

This is the furthest thing from "unparalleled freedom of choice". I do NOT want any microphones in my speakers, and if this is the future of all Sonos products I will be selling each and every one of my Sonos speakers and moving to an alternative solution; one that actually respects user privacy and choice. If there are any left...

Where does it say there is a microphone built in?