Skip to main content

Available starting February 2019, Sonos Amp is the all-new, versatile amplifier to power all your entertainment and bring the sonic content you love to every room of your home. The Amp has been redesigned with more than twice the power of the original Connect:Amp, with more versatility, and will enable new experiences through the platform.

Play your favorite streaming content on Sonos, connect to your TV through HDMI-ARC, or plug into any audio device, including a turntable to power your vinyl collection.

Sonos Amp will fit in any home environment, whether as a compact and elegant solution for in-rack AV installations, wall mounted, tucked under furniture, or on display in a room.

Details and Specs

Physical Specs Amp comes in Matte black with black and silver banana plugs all in a standard rack fit size. The dimensions are 8.54 x 8.54 x 2.52 in. (217 mm (w) x 217 mm (d) x 64 mm (h)) and it weighs 4.6 lbs. (2.1 kg). Custom banana plugs that accept 10 - 18 AWG speaker wire and the Class-D digital amplifier sends a maximum of 125W per channel at 8 Ohms.

The subwoofer output is auto-detecting RCA with adjustable crossover (50 to 110Hz).

Capable of using two line-in sources, analog RCA audio input, and HDMI-ARC inputs. Amp plays Dolby Digital 5.1 or PCM stereo sound over HDMI-ARC.

Versatile Design

Use Sonos Amp to power your installed speakers as a separate Sonos room, or bond it with a pair of Sonos Ones, Play:1s, Play:3s, or Play:5s to become a surround sound setup that you can use with your TV. You can also use Amp to add your speakers as rears to a Sonos home-theater setup (by wirelessly bonding an Amp with Beam, Playbar, or Playbase) or use two Sonos Amps (one for the front right and left channels, the other for the rear channels) for surround sound.

The Sonos Amp drives left and right speakers, and it will create a phantom center channel when sent discrete audio for that channel.

Sonos Amp has all the features of Sonos in a powerful package:

• Sonos supports over 100 services. Choose the ones you want and listen to music, podcasts, radio, and audiobooks. You can also play all the music stored on your computer or other devices.
  • Sonos has built a software platform that enables hundreds of partners and gives our customers unparalleled freedom of choice. Amp features AirPlay 2, access to home automation partners, and voice control when wirelessly connected with Amazon Echo or Alexa-enabled devices, including Sonos One and Beam.
  • Use the Sonos app on your phone or tablet, your TV remote, keypads, AirPlay 2, or your voice with Amazon Echo and Alexa-enabled devices.
  • New APIs and deeper integrations with our platform partners let you create seamless smart home control.
  • Sonos is a system. Start with Amp and expand into more rooms with additional speakers through WiFi.
  • Sonos regularly updates with new features, voice services, and API integrations, so your options are always up to date and improving.

Availability

General availability on February 5, 2019 for $599 USD (£599 GBP, €699 EUR). Early access for installed solutions professionals on December 1 in the United States and Canada. Sign up to be notified of availability on Sonos.com.

For more details, check out our blog post on the Sonos Amp here.

I've been hoping for something similar myself. Now that Sonos are gradually introducing new features that are only available on new models due to hardware limitations (AirPlay 2 being a good example) then you'd hope a larger index capacity was in the pipeline? Fingers crossed....

Given that 90% or more customers now stream vs bothering with local files, and that among those who still put up with the hassle of local files, perhaps 1% exceed the 65K limit, I doubt it's high on the priorities list.
Great sounding and looking product. However, the elephant in the room has been completely ignored in this thread, so I’d like to introduce it. :D

Being a new product and obviously an upgrade from the Connect: Amp, has the amount of local library track limit been addressed? I’m hopeful I just missed it. Again I get it with legacy devices not having enough space, but there is no reason the software can’t work that out between new and old gear.

If Sonos can select which devices can perform an incremental re-index vs. full re-index it is not a stretch to think they could designate certain players to hold an extended index vs. a truncated one.

Also the fact that they are once again extending an effort to support professional integrators even though they represent a small percentage of sales suggests it is at least possible they could show some love for local library music collectors for the 10% or so who still listen that way. Maybe there is interest to include as many listening requirements as possible now and not just cater to the narrow feature set that represents the statistical majority. Time will tell.
How do you recommend Sonos pick the songs to be dropped from the index on older devices?
How do you recommend Sonos pick the songs to be dropped from the index on older devices?

As the music database grows each device fills its database to max capacity... while some have to stop at 64K others keep growing. If a newer Sonos device is online any controller will look to it for the index and all songs will show. If only older Sonos devices are online you will only see what was added up to the point that they reached their max capacity. If earlier songs are deleted leaving gaps in the older device data bases a re-index while a newer device is online will reorganize things so the smaller capacity devices are utilized to their maximum ability.
How would that work if the new music that pushes past the limit is found earlier in the indexing process? Sonos is low on space now (the root of the problem) so finding space to track what is old versus new is just going to deplete the available space sooner.

I can't see any likely good solution, the best I can see is to start the index and run it until the device is full, skipping any songs that fall later in the indexing process. I don't know the internals of the index process so I can't guess which songs would fall off the end. If the scanning is done in something like file-system directory/file order that would be a nightmare to manage.

An alpha sort of directories before indexing would at least give you the option to stick the stuff you want dropped in a ZZZ subdirectory, space again is an issue with the extra sort operation.
That's exactly it, Stanley. By indexing, you get a note (and know) the older devices won't hold the music. It is software... it is intelligent enough to pop up in the display that a song can't be played in 'kitchen' because it is older but the song is available in the newer 'living room' device. That alone would make me want to upgrade.
Where would the note come from? The indexing is done on the devices not the controller and some of them are already out of room without trying to hold a new and old copy of the list to identify old or new music.

Even with the new Sonos tweak to force the indexing process to newer devices if present I don't see room for the two lists there either.

Are you thinking the controller could query the device it is connected with to see if a song is in the index there and if it is not then search for a newer Sonos device with more memory and a longer list to see if the song is there and then pop up the note?

That still begs the question of what music gets dropped from the smaller index.

I'll leave it to folks that think this is a good idea to work out some kind of plan that the Sonos forum staff can take to the engineers, I'm just not seeing any good possibilities and I'll quit raining on your parade.
The controller knows what devices are present. If it detects a mix, it pops up the note when forcing an index. It loads what it can in the older and stops (like it does today) and it keeps going in the newer.
I have 5 old connect amp in my house.

I always looked with interest at Trueplay feature builtin sonos speaker...

Will Trueplay be available also for new Sonos Amp ?

I will change my old Connect:amp for the new one if this feature will be available ! ?

Thanks

Emanuele

Emanuele

I asked this earlier in the thread. No answer from a Sonos rep yet. Bueller?
What does this mean for us that have a few of the older connect amps ...... Are they going to go the same way as the CR-100 controller did in a few months time ?
Unlikely. The CR100 lasted for many years past when it stopped being sold, I’d expect the current CONNCT:AMP to do the same, when they decide to stop selling it.
What does this mean for us that have a few of the older connect amps ...... Are they going to go the same way as the CR-100 controller did in a few months time ?

The ZP100 is 13 years old and still operational. I doubt the Connect:Amp will go before that.
No real reason for the older ZonePlayers to go that I've seen, Sonos seems to be doing a pretty good job of keeping them playing even with their limited abilities. At some point you mat see some functions that they used to support dropped as other functions are thought to be more useful, as was done with the CR-100 before support ended. Once that starts happening, that is the time to start thinking end of life.

Given that both my legacy stereo systems are also 10 plus years old I may well not be so unhappy when both pack it in, I already have Sonos speakers in both rooms that see 90% of my listening as it is just easier and the sound is plenty good enough. The only thing I'd me missing are the fancy 5.1 channel decoders that the legacy gear offers.
As you see in the screenshot - it is possible to add a sonos beam in the room to get true 5.1 without simulating the center channel via the amp.

Do you think he meant like this? Because I cannot find any documentation that shows that the beam can be used as a center channel?
What does this mean for us that have a few of the older connect amps ...... Are they going to go the same way as the CR-100 controller did in a few months time ?Don't confuse discontinuing sales of a product with obsolescence. The CR100 itself had been off the shelves for nearly 10 years before it could no longer keep up.
As you see in the screenshot - it is possible to add a sonos beam in the room to get true 5.1 without simulating the center channel via the amp.

Do you think he meant like this? Because I cannot find any documentation that shows that the beam can be used as a center channel?
The Beam cannot be used as a centre channel only. It can be used to provide the front three channels. That set up can be combined with rears of Play:1, Play:3, Play:5 gen 2 or Connect:Amp; my understanding is that you can add the new Amp to that list.

Another possible set up will be to use the new Amp to provide L & R front speakers (playing the content of the front three, but just through L & R. Plus same options as above for rears. No Beam involved.

The Beam cannot be used as a centre channel only. It can be used to provide the front three channels. That set up can be combined with rears of Play:1, Play:3, Play:5 gen 2 or Connect:Amp; my understanding is that you can add the new Amp to that list.

Another possible set up will be to use the new Amp to provide L & R front speakers (playing the content of the front three, but just through L & R. Plus same options as above for rears. No Beam involved.

But in the chat the sonos support mentioned that a beam can be included as a center channel for true 5.1?

But in the chat the sonos support mentioned that a beam can be included as a center channel for true 5.1?
I think you are misinterpreting the text. I don't see anywhere it says that. The choice of the word 'standalone' is perhaps unfortunate, but doesn't mean single channel. The Beam, emphatically, cannot be used for centre channel only, and to the best of my knowledge there is no indication that this is planned.
This is sad - beacuse this would be the ultimate setup.

I dont understand why this is not supported - i would buy an additional amp for this usecase.

Now I will not - I think a lot of people will think like me
Mamba82,

I agree with John, the text is quite clear that the Beam is providing the 3.0 front channels and that you can then either add an Amp/Play:1/3/5's, or Sonos Ones, as the two rear surrounds to it, to turn it into a 5.0 setup, or a 5.1 System, if you also decide to add a sub.

Whilst I would like to see a central channel speaker and 4 satellites (plus sub) myself, there is no such Sonos setup at the moment ... two Amps can create a 4.1 setup with a 'phantom' centre channel too, but that’s as close as things can get at the moment, when it comes to Sonos TV Surround Sound.

I use the Beam and two Play:1 rear surrounds in my Dining Room and I am very pleased with the 5.0 sound that it provides in that room. There’s plenty of noticeable channel separation and Bass (even without a sub) for my modest sized room, that seats 8 to 10 people around a table.
I have 5 old connect amp in my house.

I always looked with interest at Trueplay feature builtin sonos speaker...

I will change my old Connect:amp for the new one if this feature will be available ! ?

Thanks

Emanuele

I don't think Sonos has announced anything about this, but my guess is that trueplay will eventually be available on Sonoace speakers designed to work with Sonos. Although I know that other brands having tuning processes that don't really depend on the passive speakers used, I'm guessing that Sonos wants to know the makeup of the specific speakers in order to trueplay correctly...or something of that nature.

As a side note, I'd also guess that the Sonoace speakers will better match the sound of Sonos brand speakers, then passive speakers from other manufacturers.
Looks great, and I was excited, however I currently have Kef 5.1 speakers and a Onkyo receiver, I dont think this will replace the receiver...

Will Trueplay be available also for new Sonos Amp ? Emanuele

I asked this earlier in the thread. No answer from a Sonos rep yet. Bueller?

Trueplay will be available for some setups with the Sonos Amp, such as using it as the surround speakers with a Playbar, Playbase, or Beam. You'll also be able to use Trueplay with the Sonance speakers we're partnering together to develop.

What does this mean for us that have a few of the older connect amps ...... Are they going to go the same way as the CR-100 controller did in a few months time ?Don't confuse discontinuing sales of a product with obsolescence. The CR100 itself had been off the shelves for nearly 10 years before it could no longer keep up.

With the introduction of the new Sonos Amp, we will no longer be selling the Connect:Amp. We will continue to support Connect:Amp through ongoing software updates as part of the Sonos system for the many people who already have one at home.
Trueplay will be available for some setups with the Sonos Amp, such as using it as the surround speakers with a Playbar, Playbase, or Beam. You'll also be able to use Trueplay with the Sonance speakers we're partnering together to develop.

Nice. On the first part, does that include an HT setup invovled 2 Sonos Amps as well? For the Sonance speakers, will trueplay be available on outdoor speakers as well? I have no idea if trueplay can be done outdoors, if that's even a logical question. I'd also assume trueplay will not function correctly if you wire 2 pair of speakers to one Amp.