Skip to main content

Available starting February 2019, Sonos Amp is the all-new, versatile amplifier to power all your entertainment and bring the sonic content you love to every room of your home. The Amp has been redesigned with more than twice the power of the original Connect:Amp, with more versatility, and will enable new experiences through the platform.

Play your favorite streaming content on Sonos, connect to your TV through HDMI-ARC, or plug into any audio device, including a turntable to power your vinyl collection.

Sonos Amp will fit in any home environment, whether as a compact and elegant solution for in-rack AV installations, wall mounted, tucked under furniture, or on display in a room.

Details and Specs

Physical Specs Amp comes in Matte black with black and silver banana plugs all in a standard rack fit size. The dimensions are 8.54 x 8.54 x 2.52 in. (217 mm (w) x 217 mm (d) x 64 mm (h)) and it weighs 4.6 lbs. (2.1 kg). Custom banana plugs that accept 10 - 18 AWG speaker wire and the Class-D digital amplifier sends a maximum of 125W per channel at 8 Ohms.

The subwoofer output is auto-detecting RCA with adjustable crossover (50 to 110Hz).

Capable of using two line-in sources, analog RCA audio input, and HDMI-ARC inputs. Amp plays Dolby Digital 5.1 or PCM stereo sound over HDMI-ARC.

Versatile Design

Use Sonos Amp to power your installed speakers as a separate Sonos room, or bond it with a pair of Sonos Ones, Play:1s, Play:3s, or Play:5s to become a surround sound setup that you can use with your TV. You can also use Amp to add your speakers as rears to a Sonos home-theater setup (by wirelessly bonding an Amp with Beam, Playbar, or Playbase) or use two Sonos Amps (one for the front right and left channels, the other for the rear channels) for surround sound.

The Sonos Amp drives left and right speakers, and it will create a phantom center channel when sent discrete audio for that channel.

Sonos Amp has all the features of Sonos in a powerful package:

• Sonos supports over 100 services. Choose the ones you want and listen to music, podcasts, radio, and audiobooks. You can also play all the music stored on your computer or other devices.
  • Sonos has built a software platform that enables hundreds of partners and gives our customers unparalleled freedom of choice. Amp features AirPlay 2, access to home automation partners, and voice control when wirelessly connected with Amazon Echo or Alexa-enabled devices, including Sonos One and Beam.
  • Use the Sonos app on your phone or tablet, your TV remote, keypads, AirPlay 2, or your voice with Amazon Echo and Alexa-enabled devices.
  • New APIs and deeper integrations with our platform partners let you create seamless smart home control.
  • Sonos is a system. Start with Amp and expand into more rooms with additional speakers through WiFi.
  • Sonos regularly updates with new features, voice services, and API integrations, so your options are always up to date and improving.

Availability

General availability on February 5, 2019 for $599 USD (£599 GBP, €699 EUR). Early access for installed solutions professionals on December 1 in the United States and Canada. Sign up to be notified of availability on Sonos.com.

For more details, check out our blog post on the Sonos Amp here.

Currently I have a room with 2 CCM684's ceiling speakers and a Sonos Sub powered from a Sonos CA and all wired ... just for streamed music.

I want to add a new TV and Sonos Beam but currently struggling understand how to integrate all components. Not to worried about pure surround sound, just an immersive sound that the TV and can drive but also I can hit music hard to the CCM684's and Sub.

If I added Sonos Amp and pensioned off the CA, I could drive the ceiling speakers (684's), the sub and Sonos Beam with o/p from the TV? Would that be correct?

And to add a Blu-ray, I'd feed this to the TV and then HDMI ARC out to the Sonos Amp?

If you could confirm please (I'm sure the answer already above but I'm limited tech) .... if it's the case, my finger already on the 'Buy Now' button waiting for Feb 🙂
Currently I have a room with 2 CCM684's ceiling speakers and a Sonos Sub powered from a Sonos CA and all wired ... just for streamed music.

I want to add a new TV and Sonos Beam but currently struggling understand how to integrate all components. Not to worried about pure surround sound, just an immersive sound that the TV and can drive but also I can hit music hard to the CCM684's and Sub.

If I added Sonos Amp and pensioned off the CA, I could drive the ceiling speakers (684's), the sub and Sonos Beam with o/p from the TV? Would that be correct?

And to add a Blu-ray, I'd feed this to the TV and then HDMI ARC out to the Sonos Amp?

If you could confirm please (I'm sure the answer already above but I'm limited tech) .... if it's the case, my finger already on the 'Buy Now' button waiting for Feb :-)

No need for the HDMI-ARC to the Amp. Your connections would be:

Beam connected to TV via HDMI-ARC.

Amp to ceiling speakers via speaker cable.

Sub wireless.

This will give you 5.1 sound for all TV sources. Connect all external TV sources via HDMI in on the TV, then HDMI-ARC to the Beam handles the output. Make sure you purchase a Blu-Ray that converts to DD 5.1, most Samsung models do.

When set to 'Full", it will give you multi-channel stereo from the Beam, surrounds and sub for all music sources.
@attacama40, you actually don't need to wait for the Sonos Amp, as the Connect:amp + Beam should be able to accomplish what you're looking for. You can setup the Beam as your front soundbar, bond your Sub to that, and then have the connect:amp drive your ceiling speakers as surround sound. That will give you a 5.1 audio when the source from the TV is in Dolby Digital 5.1. When you listen to music sources, you can set it to play full stereo, so you'd be hearing stereo from your ceiling speakers (as well as the Beam) instead of ambient sounds.

Here are the setup instrunctions for using the Connect:amp for surrounds:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2237?language=en_US

For your scenario what the difference between the Connect:amp and Sonos Amp will be that the Sonos amp has more power and you would no longer need to wire all the units to the network, you could use wifi.

All that said, if your existing ceiling speakers are not in a good location for surround sound, and you don't want to move them, that may not be the best route to go. Another option to just get effectively 3.1 sound (no surround) would be to connect your TV directly to a Sonos Amp, no beam involved. In that case you'd get stereo from the ceiling speakers at all times. If you wanted to get sound coming from the front as well, you could then just get a passive soundbar (should work I think), passive bookshelf or in-wall speakers also connect to the speaker ports on the Sonos Amp to play those in stereo as well. That's pretty much like what Ken was suggesting in an earlier post.

And yes, whatever source you connect to the TV (blu ray, cable, streamer, etc) will pass through the tv to play on the audio system.
Will the new Sonos Amp have Speech Enhancement and Night Sound modes? I like the idea of using big high end floorstanding speakers plus maybe a sub for a 2.0 or 2.1 system with TV (I don't need surround sound) to give bigger sound than a Beam or Playbar could. Also when using the Sonos Amp in a 2.0 or 2.1 set up will the phantom centre channel kick in when it receives a DD signal or do you need to have surround speakers before the phantom centre kicks in? Many thanks 🙂
I don't quite have an application for this product, but the more I read about it, the more interested in it I become.
My main player is a Nvidia Shield TV. Using Plex, if I set the Shield to decode a codec not supported by the Sonos AMP (e.g. DTS-HD), the playback should be more or less the same as bitstreaming to a receiver that supports DTS-HD, correct? Since it is also passing through the TV via ARC, does it matter what codecs the TV supports? Thanks.
Will it work with phono cables (no going silent an no lip sync problem) - my setup is very 'integrated' so getting a hdmi cable installed is not so easy... :)

The Analog RCA audio inputs are going to have the same behavior as other players with it, like the Connect:amp. They have autoplay as well, but the Analog is handled differently from the HDMI-ARC and could have a noticeable lip sync delay. Neither input should get turned off if you’re using Autoplay unless your source is very quiet for a long time, and even there, it should automatically turn back on. I’d suggest seeing if it’s at all possible to get the HDMI-ARC run so that you can get the best experience.

What about voice control?

Any plans to enable the mics in Sonos One’s when used as rears?

The mics on a pair of Sonos Ones are only disabled when bonded as surrounds with a Beam. They are fully up and running when voice is enabled and they’re being used with a Playbar, Playbase, or Sonos Amp. The Amp also has CEC over HDMI-ARC, the same as the Beam. So you’d be able to use voice control with your TV too, assuming it’s compatible.

Will the new Sonos Amp have Speech Enhancement and Night Sound modes? I like the idea of using big high end floorstanding speakers plus maybe a sub for a 2.0 or 2.1 system with TV (I don't need surround sound) to give bigger sound than a Beam or Playbar could. Also when using the Sonos Amp in a 2.0 or 2.1 set up will the phantom centre channel kick in when it receives a DD signal or do you need to have surround speakers before the phantom centre kicks in? Many thanks :)

The Speech Enhancement and Night Sound modes are functions of our TV input, and are available on all players that have it, including the new Amp. And, yes. The Amp will always try to make the fullest soundstage, with surrounds or not.

My main player is a Nvidia Shield TV. Using Plex, if I set the Shield to decode a codec not supported by the Sonos AMP (e.g. DTS-HD), the playback should be more or less the same as bitstreaming to a receiver that supports DTS-HD, correct? Since it is also passing through the TV via ARC, does it matter what codecs the TV supports? Thanks.

Over HDMI-ARC, the Amp should be asking the TV for Dolby Digital 5.1, so assuming the TV can convert the signal into that format, that’s what you’ll get. Otherwise, you may need to set Plex and or the Shield to output Dolby Digital.
If I use the new Amp for the front channels could I use one of the older Amps, 100 or 120, for the back channels? Any chance of supporting a dedicated center channel with a Play1 or Play3 or Play5?
If I use the new Amp for the front channels could I use one of the older Amps, 100 or 120, for the back channels?

Yes, but you'll need to wire them both into the network. The Connect:Amp doesn't have the 5GHz required for a surround sound setup.

Any chance of supporting a dedicated center channel with a Play1 or Play3 or Play5?

I can't speak to the possibility, but I'll certainly pass along your interest to the team. The phantom center channel that is created by the right and left channels is pretty impressive. But you'll have to hear it for yourself to see what you think.
Will it work with phono cables (no going silent an no lip sync problem) - my setup is very 'integrated' so getting a hdmi cable installed is not so easy... :)

The Analog RCA audio inputs are going to have the same behavior as other players with it, like the Connect:amp. They have autoplay as well, but the Analog is handled differently from the HDMI-ARC and could have a noticeable lip sync delay. Neither input should get turned off if you’re using Autoplay unless your source is very quiet for a long time, and even there, it should automatically turn back on. I’d suggest seeing if it’s at all possible to get the HDMI-ARC run so that you can get the best experience.

I'd also vote for allowing RCA connections to work without delay as well. My situation is slightly different though. The tv I use for outdoors doesn't stay outdoors permanently. It's actually on a rolling cart, and I rolling it outside whenever it's using. This means I'd be connecting and disconnecting the TV to the Sonos Amp all the time. With an RCA connection, I can just plug it in and go essentially. All I really want is stereo for outdoors anyway. With HDMI-ARC, I'm concerned that there will be complications with making sure the CEC handshake, etc is done properly. When the TV isn't outside, it's being used inside with the TV speakers turned on, so it's a different audio setup depending where it's used. I dunno, maybe it won't be an issue since the TV essentially goes through a cold boot whenever it's moved.

I think the point is, although a HDMI-ARC gives the best experience, there are going to be scenarios where the simpliest experience is preferred.
How many Proficient C625TT 75W, 8 Ohm speakers can I run off one of the new amps please, currently frustrated with the limit of 4 off my current Connects
How many Proficient C625TT 75W, 8 Ohm speakers can I run off one of the new amps please, currently frustrated with the limit of 4 off my current Connects

The Amp has 125W per channel at 8 Ohm. When you attach two pairs of 8 Ohm of speakers to it, you'll now be functionally at 4 Ohm, which we wouldn't recommend exceeding. At that rating, you will be getting more power to your speakers than the Connect:Amp would drive, but we wouldn't recommend adding extra pairs on top.
Interestingly I have been using the Connect Amp with my Sony Bravia for years now and have never experienced any sync issues between audio and video. It is connected from the headphones jack on the Bravia to the audio input connection on the Connect Amp. Absolutely nobody has observed or mentioned an audio delay. If it is there it is not discernible.
@attacama40, you actually don't need to wait for the Sonos Amp, as the Connect:amp + Beam should be able to accomplish what you're looking for. You can setup the Beam as your front soundbar, bond your Sub to that, and then have the connect:amp drive your ceiling speakers as surround sound. That will give you a 5.1 audio when the source from the TV is in Dolby Digital 5.1. When you listen to music sources, you can set it to play full stereo, so you'd be hearing stereo from your ceiling speakers (as well as the Beam) instead of ambient sounds.

Here are the setup instrunctions for using the Connect:amp for surrounds:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2237?language=en_US

For your scenario what the difference between the Connect:amp and Sonos Amp will be that the Sonos amp has more power and you would no longer need to wire all the units to the network, you could use wifi.

All that said, if your existing ceiling speakers are not in a good location for surround sound, and you don't want to move them, that may not be the best route to go. Another option to just get effectively 3.1 sound (no surround) would be to connect your TV directly to a Sonos Amp, no beam involved. In that case you'd get stereo from the ceiling speakers at all times. If you wanted to get sound coming from the front as well, you could then just get a passive soundbar (should work I think), passive bookshelf or in-wall speakers also connect to the speaker ports on the Sonos Amp to play those in stereo as well. That's pretty much like what Ken was suggesting in an earlier post.

And yes, whatever source you connect to the TV (blu ray, cable, streamer, etc) will pass through the tv to play on the audio system.

Hi Danny and thanks for taking the time. I've really been struggling with the connection logic on this one. Total brain fog.

And I think your configuration ticks the box.

Just to clarify a little more. The CCM684's & Sonos sub were fitted only about 10 days back for audio only (there was no plan for TV at that point). Then my creative wife suggested to add a TV. All good...but, the speakers are 90 degrees the wrong way for the TV location....one over the TV itself and one at the far end of the room away from the TV screen!!! Far from ideal ... for the TV that is.

I'm not keen to move them (but can at this point should it be necessary) as the room is not a main viewing room, we don't need to go full scale surround sound. But of course it would be a shame not to try to get some spatial event out of the TV ... so I thought buy a Beam! But I struggled to match the new idea to the original audio only one. And whilst I've installed conduit (which mitigates getting the cabling wrong to some extent) I,m worried about installing without fully understanding the end result.

So if I read you right, I can use the Beam to drive the Sonos sub for the TV but not the 684's?

Is there a pairing that would allow the Beam and Sub to work with the 684's just for music without Sonos setting changes? My wife struggles with vanilla Sonos usage!!! ... a work in progress!

The ideal end game for me would be audio stream to the 684's sub and Beam, even if a little odd configuration. And avoid setting or pairing issues.

Just to note, I've installed L-C-R audio cables AND RJ45 (and power) L & R just for future proofing ... total overkill but bricks and plaster flying! But the room is small and I don't want to drown it in tech clutter. And as the result of a previous Bose installation, there are LR and RR feeds in the wall somewhere that are available ... just in case things change. I know that sounds totally mad especially if not planning to actually use it to the full but there is a budget as well.

Just to clarify if I'm understanding correctly. I hope that makes sense. Thanks again
It looks nice and I could use it to replace my old ZP-100. But doing so would be a "waste" of money.

Back in 2006 I bought a bundle containing ZP-80, ZP-100 and a CR-100 controller. Of this bundle I've only retired the controller. The ZP-100 have been on top of a shelf in the kitchen hooked up to a pair of Dali speakers for more than 12 years and its still in daily use. I never had any electronic device last this long. For all I know it might run for another decade depending on how long it will continue to get firmware/software updates. This is why I never bothered to look for anything else to stream music. I'm happy to pay a few dollars more for something that just keeps working for years and years.

This is why I love Sonos and I hope the new amp is built in the same way. I'll be sure to check it out when it arrives next year.

Just to clarify a little more. The CCM684's & Sonos sub were fitted only about 10 days back for audio only (there was no plan for TV at that point). Then my creative wife suggested to add a TV. All good...but, the speakers are 90 degrees the wrong way for the TV location....one over the TV itself and one at the far end of the room away from the TV screen!!! Far from ideal ... for the TV that is.

So what was the reason for settting it up this way? The speakers (unless in mono) should be to the left and right of the direction you'd normally face. Since there's a TV in the room, that's almost always towards the TV. Even when not watching TV, that tends to be the focus. So I'm just wondering why the speakers are directed 90% opposite of that. Is this a workout room, or something lese that would warrant placing the speakers this way? Where the speakers placed this way perhaps because orientation of the ceiling rafters?

I don't think there is really anyway you could use these speakers with the TV in their current positions, unless you're going to just play mono audio (which is an option for the Sonos Amp). And maybe that's fine for the room, don't know.

So if I read you right, I can use the Beam to drive the Sonos sub for the TV but not the 684's?

Is there a pairing that would allow the Beam and Sub to work with the 684's just for music without Sonos setting changes? My wife struggles with vanilla Sonos usage!!! ... a work in progress!

A beam can only be attached to one room/zone at a time. Since it sounds like the 654s (connect:amp or Sonos amp really) will be a separate room since you likely won't be setting them up as surround sound, then you would not be able to set up the sub to work with the beam and the 684s at the same time. It can be done, but it won't really sound good to set it up this way.

But if the TV is not the main listening area, the beam w/o sub is probably just fine for the space.

So what was the reason for settting it up this way? The speakers (unless in mono) should be to the left and right of the direction you'd normally face. Since there's a TV in the room, that's almost always towards the TV. Even when not watching TV, that tends to be the focus. So I'm just wondering why the speakers are directed 90% opposite of that. Is this a workout room, or something lese that would warrant placing the speakers this way? Where the speakers placed this way perhaps because orientation of the ceiling rafters?

I don't think there is really anyway you could use these speakers with the TV in their current positions, unless you're going to just play mono audio (which is an option for the Sonos Amp). And maybe that's fine for the room, don't know.

A beam can only be attached to one room/zone at a time. Since it sounds like the 654s (connect:amp or Sonos amp really) will be a separate room since you likely won't be setting them up as surround sound, then you would not be able to set up the sub to work with the beam and the 684s at the same time. It can be done, but it won't really sound good to set it up this way.

But if the TV is not the main listening area, the beam w/o sub is probably just fine for the space.

Hi Danny, yes it was a solid plan that worked and got changed right at the tail spin. Original aim was to have a room without TV. So the speakers & sub were perfect layout wise (it's a small lounge ... typical 1920's bay window thing). Then the idea last Sunday to add TV!!! Just as the install was finished!!!.

Totally agree it's now become a mad layout ... for TV sound anyway. The in ceiling 684's has back boxes fabricated, whole 9 yards and sounded a treat.

So now the decision is several fold ....

1. leave as is and just use the existing install for audio - 684's, sub and Sonos CA

2. Add just the Sonos Beam for the TV (as you mention above) ... warming to that

3. Use a 'as supplied' sound bar that could come optionally with the TV

4. Do away with the current install and add Play ones at front together with the beam

I think on balance, just using the Beam for TV and keeping the ceiling speakers and bub (separate group) as you mentioned is the most sensible. I still have all the wiring installed LRC RR RL and sub should that fail to hit target, which I doubt.

Sometimes it just takes an independent set of eyes to look at something .... this is precisely what you have done and I think common sense is starting to shake out. A Sonos Beam it is. Many thanks for the time spent. Appreciated
Does this support any Hi-Res?

What is the power rating into 4 ohm?
So if I have a 5.1 set up playbase,sub and 2 play ones from what I understand this will not be any use to me for watching tv.

Thank you
Is it possible to use the new sonos amp with the sonos beam?

I mean a true 5.1 setup - no channel simulation! Especially question 4) is important:

1) a) Front left & right with wired third party speaker

1) b) Front left & right with 2 sonos one / play 5

2) Back left & right with 2 sonos one

3) Adding a sonos sub

4) Sonos Beam as a center - instead of simulated stereo

5) using Alexa with connected sonos beam/sonos one

6) only one group should be set in the room to get real 5.1
Great sounding and looking product. However, the elephant in the room has been completely ignored in this thread, so I’d like to introduce it. :D

Being a new product and obviously an upgrade from the Connect: Amp, has the amount of local library track limit been addressed? I’m hopeful I just missed it. Again I get it with legacy devices not having enough space, but there is no reason the software can’t work that out between new and old gear.
I would be very surprised if it changed, since the software is designed to work ( in most part) on all devices, not any one singly. If they were to address that issue, I’d be willing to bet that it would require a major rewrite of the way the code base works. Not out of the realm of possibility, mind you, just unlikely, I think.
I would be very surprised if it changed, since the software is designed to work ( in most part) on all devices, not any one singly. If they were to address that issue, I’d be willing to bet that it would require a major rewrite of the way the code base works. Not out of the realm of possibility, mind you, just unlikely, I think.

I hope an employee will respond, that said I think you are right.

I also wonder about room tuning. New hardware, are we going to see trueplay on this ? I don't see it mentioned in the announcement so I'm guessing no

The Amp has 125W per channel at 8 Ohm.

How much does it do into 4 ohms? Does it do double as the Connect Amp does?
Great sounding and looking product. However, the elephant in the room has been completely ignored in this thread, so I’d like to introduce it. :D

Being a new product and obviously an upgrade from the Connect: Amp, has the amount of local library track limit been addressed? I’m hopeful I just missed it. Again I get it with legacy devices not having enough space, but there is no reason the software can’t work that out between new and old gear.

I've been hoping for something similar myself. Now that Sonos are gradually introducing new features that are only available on new models due to hardware limitations (AirPlay 2 being a good example) then you'd hope a larger index capacity was in the pipeline? Fingers crossed....