Skip to main content

Available starting February 2019, Sonos Amp is the all-new, versatile amplifier to power all your entertainment and bring the sonic content you love to every room of your home. The Amp has been redesigned with more than twice the power of the original Connect:Amp, with more versatility, and will enable new experiences through the platform.

Play your favorite streaming content on Sonos, connect to your TV through HDMI-ARC, or plug into any audio device, including a turntable to power your vinyl collection.

Sonos Amp will fit in any home environment, whether as a compact and elegant solution for in-rack AV installations, wall mounted, tucked under furniture, or on display in a room.

Details and Specs

Physical Specs Amp comes in Matte black with black and silver banana plugs all in a standard rack fit size. The dimensions are 8.54 x 8.54 x 2.52 in. (217 mm (w) x 217 mm (d) x 64 mm (h)) and it weighs 4.6 lbs. (2.1 kg). Custom banana plugs that accept 10 - 18 AWG speaker wire and the Class-D digital amplifier sends a maximum of 125W per channel at 8 Ohms.

The subwoofer output is auto-detecting RCA with adjustable crossover (50 to 110Hz).

Capable of using two line-in sources, analog RCA audio input, and HDMI-ARC inputs. Amp plays Dolby Digital 5.1 or PCM stereo sound over HDMI-ARC.

Versatile Design

Use Sonos Amp to power your installed speakers as a separate Sonos room, or bond it with a pair of Sonos Ones, Play:1s, Play:3s, or Play:5s to become a surround sound setup that you can use with your TV. You can also use Amp to add your speakers as rears to a Sonos home-theater setup (by wirelessly bonding an Amp with Beam, Playbar, or Playbase) or use two Sonos Amps (one for the front right and left channels, the other for the rear channels) for surround sound.

The Sonos Amp drives left and right speakers, and it will create a phantom center channel when sent discrete audio for that channel.

Sonos Amp has all the features of Sonos in a powerful package:

• Sonos supports over 100 services. Choose the ones you want and listen to music, podcasts, radio, and audiobooks. You can also play all the music stored on your computer or other devices.
  • Sonos has built a software platform that enables hundreds of partners and gives our customers unparalleled freedom of choice. Amp features AirPlay 2, access to home automation partners, and voice control when wirelessly connected with Amazon Echo or Alexa-enabled devices, including Sonos One and Beam.
  • Use the Sonos app on your phone or tablet, your TV remote, keypads, AirPlay 2, or your voice with Amazon Echo and Alexa-enabled devices.
  • New APIs and deeper integrations with our platform partners let you create seamless smart home control.
  • Sonos is a system. Start with Amp and expand into more rooms with additional speakers through WiFi.
  • Sonos regularly updates with new features, voice services, and API integrations, so your options are always up to date and improving.

Availability

General availability on February 5, 2019 for $599 USD (£599 GBP, €699 EUR). Early access for installed solutions professionals on December 1 in the United States and Canada. Sign up to be notified of availability on Sonos.com.

For more details, check out our blog post on the Sonos Amp here.

Yep thx guys pre ordered today 😃
Dear Sonos reps, I'm wondering how truplay will work with the Sonance speakers. Will I need to enter a serial number in the Sonos app? Will the amp autodetect the speakers?

For third party speakers such as non Sonos sonance exterior or in wall or others will Truplay now work with these speakers? If no can you explain why please.
hey guys, been through the thread, but just wanted to check something as I've found the discussion a little confusing (sorry).

I have an amp on pre-order and wanted to check I'm ready to go with a surround setup when it arrives - or whether I'm missing something.

I've got a TV with HDMI-ARC that I'm going to feed into the amp. I've got a couple of non-sonos speakers that I'm going to hook up to the amp, I'd like to use these as front L/R and phantom.

I then want to use two play:1 speakers as rear left and right. I can't run wires to these so they need to be wireless.

I currently don't have a sub.

Would my planned setup work with the amp?

Thank you.

Thank you.

No problems with that setup.
hey guys, been through the thread, but just wanted to check something as I've found the discussion a little confusing (sorry).

I have an amp on pre-order and wanted to check I'm ready to go with a surround setup when it arrives - or whether I'm missing something.

I've got a TV with HDMI-ARC that I'm going to feed into the amp. I've got a couple of non-sonos speakers that I'm going to hook up to the amp, I'd like to use these as front L/R and phantom.

I then want to use two play:1 speakers as rear left and right. I can't run wires to these so they need to be wireless.

I currently don't have a sub.

Thank you.
Yes, the new Amp will work fine with two passive front speakers and the two Play:1 (wireless) rear speakers.
thanks melvimbe and Ken_Griffiths! 🙂
Dear Sonos reps, I'm wondering how truplay will work with the Sonance speakers. Will I need to enter a serial number in the Sonos app? Will the amp autodetect the speakers?

For third party speakers such as non Sonos sonance exterior or in wall or others will Truplay now work with these speakers? If no can you explain why please.

The Sonos Architectural speakers which we worked with Sonance to produce will be autodetected by the Sonos Amp due to their hardware, which will allow you to Trueplay with them attached. It's just those models that are compatible with the Amp for Trueplay tuning, not other speakers. This is because we were able to specifically design these speakers and know what their sonic profile and capabilities are, allowing for more fine tuning through Trueplay.

If you have a Sonos Amp as the surround speakers for a Playbar, Playbase, or Beam, you'd also be able to Trueplay the whole setup, even with speakers that aren't the Sonos Architectural speakers. The tuning, in this case, would be more about making adjustments to more basic things, like the volume of surrounds and adjustments to bass.

It's worth noting that the outdoor Sonos/Sonance speakers do not say they will truplay with the Amp.

The Sonos Architectural speakers which we worked with Sonance to produce will be autodetected by the Sonos Amp due to their hardware, which will allow you to Trueplay with them attached. It's just those models that are compatible with the Amp for Trueplay tuning, not other speakers. This is because we were able to specifically design these speakers and know what their sonic profile and capabilities are, allowing for more fine tuning through Trueplay.

Will trueplay be available if you have 2 or 3 pairs of the architectural speakers attached to the same Amp? What will happen if the pairs are actually placed in different rooms? Will trueplay be disabled if you use a speaker switch or volume control device in between the speakers and the amp? And since it appears that trueplay will not work in an outdoor environment, what will happen if ceiling speakers are used outdoors, say in the ceiling of a covered patio?
Good questions, Danny!

The Amp is looking for something special from the speakers and anything in the middle of that connection, such as a speaker selector or volume controller could prevent Trueplay from being available. If the detection fails, you could wire the speakers directly to your Amp and run Trueplay, then install the switch or other devices. These shouldn't affect the results after, but it would probably make running tuning again harder.

Trueplay should be available with multiple pairs of those Sonance speakers attached (multiple of the same type, not multiple types, so no mixing and matching pairs) to the Amp. If you're running speakers in two different rooms off of one Amp, Trueplay won't know that it's in two rooms, and will tune as if it's all one space. So if you're using multiple pairs in different rooms, we wouldn't suggest Trueplay. You're welcome to test it out, but it probably won't give you the best experience.

The outdoor speakers aren't designed for Trueplay, as that space isn't typically one that can be tuned for. If you do decide to try out the ceiling speakers in a covered patio (not something they're designed or rated for), Trueplay would certainly be available to try, but it may fail for a number of reasons. The Amp wouldn't know you're outside with those speakers, and would perform just as if you were inside doing the same thing. Trueplay itself may not be able to compensate for the space, and it may be too loud to run tuning in the first place.
Thanks Ryan. Pretty much the answers I thought, but worth asking to clarify.
A question for first adopters: Some reviews claim/criticise a sound signature for the amp, which surprises me because I see no reason, including that of incompetence, for any well made solid state amp to have it unless the tone controls are away from centre positions; the Connect Amps I use definitely have none such and faithfully hew to the good amp design philosophy of providing "straight wire with gain" - all both do is amplify the signal without adding anything else to it.

So, apart from additional connectivity features and higher gain via more power, does the Sonos Amp do anything else that isn't welcome?
Dear Sonos reps,

Now that Amp is released to the general public does anyone know when the optical to HDMI-ARC adapter will be available in the Australian store. I can currently only see it in the US store. My TV only has optical out and I don't want to buy a new TV with HDMI-ARC unless the current one dies.

Once I can get the adapter I'll order the Amp but it's pointless until then.
EDIT: I found some additional settings under the EQ that seem to do what I want...I'm going to leave my original post below in case anyone else finds it useful.

On the apple mac client, the settings are under "EQ settings" for the amp. There's tabs for "EQ", "Sub" and "Surrounds". "Surrounds" is what you're looking for.

On the Android app, the above settings can be found under "Room settings" for the amp, then "Advanced Audio" and "Surround Settings". I switched "Music Playback" to "Full".

I don't have any Apple devices, I'm sure the settings could be found somewhere similar to the android app.

-----------------------

Received my amp and set it up today; it's fantastic.

A couple of very minor quibbles, but these don't spoil things for me.

1. I have two play:1 speakers as rear surrounds. If streaming music rather than watching TV, it'd be nice to be able to configure the rear two as a stereo pair.

2. Again, when playing music, the rear play:1 speakers seem a bit on the quiet side. It'd be nice to be able to adjust the volume separately - though I guess if (1) above was ever possible, this issue would probably be solved.

I understand the need to bind the speakers as surrounds for the amp, but depending on context (i.e. streaming music), it'd be nice to be able to see the rear speakers as a stereo pair.

However, as I say, these are really minor things for me and I love the amp. Nice work!
Received my amp and set it up today; it's fantastic.

A couple of very minor quibbles, but these don't spoil things for me.

1. I have two play:1 speakers as rear surrounds. If streaming music rather than watching TV, it'd be nice to be able to configure the rear two as a stereo pair.

2. Again, when playing music, the rear play:1 speakers seem a bit on the quiet side. It'd be nice to be able to adjust the volume separately - though I guess if (1) above was ever possible, this issue would probably be solved.

I understand the need to bind the speakers as surrounds for the amp, but depending on context (i.e. streaming music), it'd be nice to be able to see the rear speakers as a stereo pair.

However, as I say, these are really minor things for me and I love the amp. Nice work!
Go to Settings/Room Settings in the Sonos App and select the room that relates to your Amp. Then goto 'Advanced Audio/Surround Settings' and switch music playback from 'Ambient' to 'Full' ... then try playing some music again to the Amp. I think you will be pleasantly surprised..!!
Thanks so much @Ken_Griffiths!

I did some digging end edited my post around the same time you were replying :D

Appreciate it.
Very Interesting & generally positive review of the Sonos AMP - https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/sonos-amp

I'm a long time SONOS user (10 zones over two houses), and am considering using the new AMP with Sky Q & HDMI to TV...

Reading various posts, there looks to be potential issues with Lip Sync, and this is even mentioned in the WhatHiFi review which was a SONOS led demo session. Quote "It’s going to be interesting to put this ‘phantom centre’ approach to further testing, and also find out if we experience the lip-sync issue that was evident in this demo, which Sonos assures us was down to the somewhat convoluted setup for the demo and won't be an issue with review samples or purchased Amps"

Can SONOS comment on this?
I understand that things are a little different in Europe, but in the US lip-sync is a game of chance. There can be lip-sync issues with the cable box directly connected to a TV and these issues can change from channel to channel and program to program. Yes, AMP does insert a short latency, but this is usually constructive, at least in the US. AMP can insert additional delay if necessary. Unfortunately, I have encountered a few situations where video leads audio. No amount of audio delay can fix this.
Just my two cents on the lip-sync issue: received my Amp this Monday and have had absolutely no lip sync problems. No need even to adjust the audio delay, everything's working perfectly straight out of the box. My setup: Apple TV 4K -> LG B8 TV -> HDMI ARC to Sonos Amp -> passive speakers (Penaudio Rebel2).
same as @nefastos. no problems out of the box.

another question from me.

night mode is very handy - we live in a victorian terrace, bass is fine but when it starts getting late, it's considerate to turn down the bass for the neighbours.

any way or any plans by sonos to be able to configure this on a schedule? I'm fine with activating manually, but my wife doesn't like learning tech or messing about with settings, she just wants to use the tv remote, and THAT'S IT 😃
Aesthetics question: will the Amp be released in white and if so when?

We haven't shared any plans for a white Amp at this time. The Amp was designed to seamlessly fit with other TV accessories and audio rack equipment, which usually are black. I'll let the team know you're interested in the future.

We haven't shared any plans for a white Amp at this time. The Amp was designed to seamlessly fit with other TV accessories and audio rack equipment, which usually are black. I'll let the team know you're interested in the future.

Sure, but you do a white Beam, a white Base, a white Sub and white architectural speakers, and white Play 1s (the go to surround partners) so isn’t a white Amp kind of obvious?
Got the new amp this week. I have to say, I am a little disappointed with the sound. It sounds quite harsh and thin, compared with my old amp (which was nothing special, cost £200)

I've dialled down the treble by a third and increase the bass a notch. This has improved it but it still sounds a bit thin, lacking warmth. I've never messed with eq settings before and having the treble dialled down by a third just seems wrong.

A Google search reveals several reviews commenting on this same issue and a few threads on here as well (one even on about ear pain due to the sound)

Would anyone like to comment or share their thoughts on this? Is it possible sonos have messed up the settings and this can be fixed with a firmware update? I'm no audiophile, I actually have always believed that amps don't make much difference, it is down to the speakers and speaker placement. But this sonos amp sounds worse than my old connect amp or my old connect plugged into cheap amp.

Are my speakers okay - dali zensor 3's. They sounded great with cheap amp and connect. And great with connect amp.

If I was alone in this, I'd ignore it and think I was wrong but the fact other users and professional review sites comment on it makes me think there is a real issue here.

Thanks.
I actually have always believed that amps don't make much difference, it is down to the speakers and speaker placement. But this sonos amp sounds worse than my old connect amp or my old connect plugged into cheap amp.

Are my speakers okay - dali zensor 3's. They sounded great with cheap amp and connect. And great with connect amp.

You are quite right in that solid state amps of modern design that are well made - and this isn't rocket science any more, how to make these - don't make a difference.

And there is nothing wrong with your speakers, dali makes very good ones.

So if a drop in replacement to a Connect Amp is giving these results, it is very surprising and something that Sonos should respond to you directly/here.