Skip to main content

Available starting February 2019, Sonos Amp is the all-new, versatile amplifier to power all your entertainment and bring the sonic content you love to every room of your home. The Amp has been redesigned with more than twice the power of the original Connect:Amp, with more versatility, and will enable new experiences through the platform.

Play your favorite streaming content on Sonos, connect to your TV through HDMI-ARC, or plug into any audio device, including a turntable to power your vinyl collection.

Sonos Amp will fit in any home environment, whether as a compact and elegant solution for in-rack AV installations, wall mounted, tucked under furniture, or on display in a room.

Details and Specs

Physical Specs Amp comes in Matte black with black and silver banana plugs all in a standard rack fit size. The dimensions are 8.54 x 8.54 x 2.52 in. (217 mm (w) x 217 mm (d) x 64 mm (h)) and it weighs 4.6 lbs. (2.1 kg). Custom banana plugs that accept 10 - 18 AWG speaker wire and the Class-D digital amplifier sends a maximum of 125W per channel at 8 Ohms.

The subwoofer output is auto-detecting RCA with adjustable crossover (50 to 110Hz).

Capable of using two line-in sources, analog RCA audio input, and HDMI-ARC inputs. Amp plays Dolby Digital 5.1 or PCM stereo sound over HDMI-ARC.

Versatile Design

Use Sonos Amp to power your installed speakers as a separate Sonos room, or bond it with a pair of Sonos Ones, Play:1s, Play:3s, or Play:5s to become a surround sound setup that you can use with your TV. You can also use Amp to add your speakers as rears to a Sonos home-theater setup (by wirelessly bonding an Amp with Beam, Playbar, or Playbase) or use two Sonos Amps (one for the front right and left channels, the other for the rear channels) for surround sound.

The Sonos Amp drives left and right speakers, and it will create a phantom center channel when sent discrete audio for that channel.

Sonos Amp has all the features of Sonos in a powerful package:

• Sonos supports over 100 services. Choose the ones you want and listen to music, podcasts, radio, and audiobooks. You can also play all the music stored on your computer or other devices.
  • Sonos has built a software platform that enables hundreds of partners and gives our customers unparalleled freedom of choice. Amp features AirPlay 2, access to home automation partners, and voice control when wirelessly connected with Amazon Echo or Alexa-enabled devices, including Sonos One and Beam.
  • Use the Sonos app on your phone or tablet, your TV remote, keypads, AirPlay 2, or your voice with Amazon Echo and Alexa-enabled devices.
  • New APIs and deeper integrations with our platform partners let you create seamless smart home control.
  • Sonos is a system. Start with Amp and expand into more rooms with additional speakers through WiFi.
  • Sonos regularly updates with new features, voice services, and API integrations, so your options are always up to date and improving.

Availability

General availability on February 5, 2019 for $599 USD (£599 GBP, €699 EUR). Early access for installed solutions professionals on December 1 in the United States and Canada. Sign up to be notified of availability on Sonos.com.

For more details, check out our blog post on the Sonos Amp here.

I've never seen Sonos do something like that before, when they've brought out new equipment, but an interesting thought.I think this is highly unlikely to be offered. If the Connect:Amp were no longer being supported it would be a different matter. I can't immediately think of any tech manufacturer that has done this when launching a newer, shinier version, but I'm sure that will prompt a few examples!
Apple offers a trade in program. I think they would be considered a tech manufacturer. 😉
Apple offers a trade in program. I think they would be considered a tech manufacturer. ;-)

I don't know the details of this program, but I would guess it's limited to specific products types and models. Are they going to give in trade in options for products that were originally released a decade ago? And they surely do this because they can turn around a resell these as 'refurbished'. It's really not much different then a car dealership accepting your trade in. They aren't going to accept your trade in if there isn't a good market for it.

And following with the automobile market, you could very well do better to sell your old vehicle on the open market then to accept whatever trade in value the dealership is giving you. I would guess you can sell your Connect:Amp on ebay for a better return than whatever you'd get from a trade in with Sonos.
I'd like to use the Sonos Amp to power some old floor standing Cerwin Vega speakers which I have running at 4Ohms. Can I bridge the right and left channels to run mono at 4Ohms without causing damage to the amplifier of the Sonos Amp? Is it stable at 4Ohms?
Will Apple allow customers to trade in an iPhone 5 or 8, say, towards an iPhone X, for example?
Well I don't disagree with anything you are saying. But the AMP design may be 10 years old, but my AMPs are 3 months old. It is all about customer service. Everyone wants the newer model and having just purchased them, it feels like a bit of a FU. It would be a nice gesture even if it does really make sense financially. With Amazon, Google and Apple on their heals, it would be in their best interest to make sure they hold onto customers. Just my 2 cents.
Well I don't disagree with anything you are saying. But the AMP design may be 10 years old, but my AMPs are 3 months old. It is all about customer service. Everyone wants the newer model and having just purchased them, it feels like a bit of a FU.

How far back do you think Sonos should offer trade ins? They first announced the product 2 months ago (September) for a February release to regular customers. Should they have given a notice even further out? How much do you need in order to feel good about the situation?

It would be a nice gesture even if it does really make sense financially.

Well sure. But they won't remain in business too long if they keep giving up profit in order to be nice.

With Amazon, Google and Apple on their heals, it would be in their best interest to make sure they hold onto customers. Just my 2 cents.

Are any of these companies offering buyback programs on their speaker products.

Look, I know how you feel. I bought a third party amp in August to go with a Sonos Connect. I would much rather have the Sonos Amp as it fits what I want much better. That's not Sonos fault. You could blame me for not having enough patients, but it's really just the way things work, sometimes not in your favor. But I can live with what I have, repurpose the amp I bought, or sell it.

BTW, looking at ebay, it looks like the Conect:Amp sells for around $300 right now. After shipping and fees, maybe $250. Do you think Sonos should give you that much in buy back? That said, I expect the market will get flooded with used Connect:amps very soon as professional installers switch out Connect:amps for Sonos:Amps with their clients, lowering the price.
Apple - they give pennies on the dollar for trade-ins and then sell them to other re-sellers of used phones. Just like any place takes in old tech for cheap. You would get more for most phones or Sonos units on Ebay vs. some trade-in.
You guys can't honestly see a way to make it a win/win? I am not asking them to give me 100% credit, but maybe at 50% I might buy the new AMP, or maybe not, or a repeat customer discount. The fact that I will not buy a new amp for years, if I am not given a reason to should not be lost on Sonos. Just maybe to you guys. 🙂
ebay or craiglist the old stuff to fund new stuff.
Great, however it needs to have inputs for surround sound. Ie front left and right, rear left and right and sub. Missing two inputs. 😞
You guys can't honestly see a way to make it a win/win? I am not asking them to give me 100% credit, but maybe at 50% I might buy the new AMP, or maybe not, or a repeat customer discount. The fact that I will not buy a new amp for years, if I am not given a reason to should not be lost on Sonos. Just maybe to you guys. :-)

But you can get around 50% back if you sell the Connect:Amp yourself. Why do you need Sonos to do this for you?
Great, however it needs to have inputs for surround sound. Ie front left and right, rear left and right and sub. Missing two inputs. :(

That would be overkill for those who only wish to power 2 speakers, like with the Connect:Amp. This way, if you want surround, you buy two. If you want stereo, you buy one, without the extra expense of a second amplifier.
Great, however it needs to have inputs for surround sound. Ie front left and right, rear left and right and sub. Missing two inputs. :(

Inputs? HDMI-ARC will bring in all the channels needed for 5.1 audio?

Are you asking for additional speaker posts (output)?
I'd like to use the Sonos Amp to power some old floor standing Cerwin Vega speakers which I have running at 4Ohms. Can I bridge the right and left channels to run mono at 4Ohms without causing damage to the amplifier of the Sonos Amp? Is it stable at 4Ohms?

So, you have a pair of 4 Ohm floorstanders that you would like to power with the Amp, correct?

If so, why are you mentioning bridging and running mono?

Per the link below, the Amp is stable at 4 Ohms and doubles its power to 250 w/ch (an indicator of a robust amp design), so it should power a pair of 4 Ohm speakers just fine. Now, trying to power 2 pair of 4 Ohm speakers would likely be a problem (for most any amplifier), because the impedance would drop to 2 Ohms.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/265?language=en_US
hello again, im so sorry for asking maybe a basic question and that for sure you already answered before, i just bought some new amps for my in wall ceilings speakers. But I also have in my bedroom a receiver working for a definitive tech Mythos XTR-SSA3 Ultra Slim L/C/R Speaker Bar, I would like to simplify everything, can i buy one more sonos amp and hook it up directly to the speaker bar? I dont mind if I dont have the sorround sound of it, but having the reveiver its way to big and old fashion
It would be a little strange since it has left center and right inputs. I guess leaving center unhooked would be best. Kinda a waste. Do you have a current amplifier hooked to it - I would just keep that amplifier and use a Sonos Connect hooked to the amp.
It would be a little strange since it has left center and right inputs. I guess leaving center unhooked would be best. Kinda a waste. Do you have a current amplifier hooked to it - I would just keep that amplifier and use a Sonos Connect hooked to the amp.

Thank you cris, but it will still be integrated with all the other sonos amps? Would it work as if was a different room ? To play music to that connect would I need to first turn on my old amp? Or just by the sonos app would I start playing music if I connect the old amp to the sonos connect?

Thanks again
If you hook Sonos amp to the right and left inputs it will be another Sonos room just like your other speakers across house. Can play independently or grouped.
I have a simple question... have been trouble finding a clear answer. I know it is overkill to use the Sonos Amp for this purpose, but all I want is to use my two Sonos One speakers as front speakers connected to my TV to improve my TV sound. Can the Sonos Amp accomplish this with TV plugged into the Amp and then play sound wirelessly through the Sonos Ones? Thanks!
You would have group to the amp and will cause 70ms delay. You are better of getting a Sonos Beam for cheaper and will accomplish the same. But giving you better option of using beam for front and ones for rears.
Thanks... my setup is very minimalist... do not want a soundbar in my main living area and no cords showing. HDMI cables are run through drywall to a cabinet. If there is a delay, I guess the amp won't be useful for TV.
Delay is not with the amp but in sharing the sound to the Play 1s in grouped mode rather than bonded surround mode.
The new Sonos Amp - in white Please

As it looks the new AMP will only be available in black. This makes me very disappointed as I would have loved to commission my old (white) Connect Amp installed in my kitchen and have it replaced with the new Amp. I have all 4 ceiling speakers cabled to a spot were I keep the Connect Amp very visible on a (white) counter top. I only have white and aluminium as a colour scheme. There is NO way I would buy a black one. Sonos, please reconsider in the same way you did with the Sub (that original only came in Black) and make a white Amp available. I will buy one immediately.

Anyone else with the same wish?
The new Sonos Amp - in white Please

As it looks the new AMP will only be available in black. This makes me very disappointed as I would have loved to commission my old (white) Connect Amp installed in my kitchen and have it replaced with the new Amp. I only have white and aluminium as a colour scheme. There is NO way I would buy a black one.

Personally I think Black is an elegant look for the Sonos Amp. Also now that it is "rack mountable" that is generally the color scheme in professional installations. The video in the link may explain why Black is the color of the day for the Sonos Amp. Although it specifically references the circuit boards the same probably holds true for the exterior. :8 Cheers!

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/amp.html