Skip to main content

Available starting February 2019, Sonos Amp is the all-new, versatile amplifier to power all your entertainment and bring the sonic content you love to every room of your home. The Amp has been redesigned with more than twice the power of the original Connect:Amp, with more versatility, and will enable new experiences through the platform.

Play your favorite streaming content on Sonos, connect to your TV through HDMI-ARC, or plug into any audio device, including a turntable to power your vinyl collection.

Sonos Amp will fit in any home environment, whether as a compact and elegant solution for in-rack AV installations, wall mounted, tucked under furniture, or on display in a room.

Details and Specs

Physical Specs Amp comes in Matte black with black and silver banana plugs all in a standard rack fit size. The dimensions are 8.54 x 8.54 x 2.52 in. (217 mm (w) x 217 mm (d) x 64 mm (h)) and it weighs 4.6 lbs. (2.1 kg). Custom banana plugs that accept 10 - 18 AWG speaker wire and the Class-D digital amplifier sends a maximum of 125W per channel at 8 Ohms.

The subwoofer output is auto-detecting RCA with adjustable crossover (50 to 110Hz).

Capable of using two line-in sources, analog RCA audio input, and HDMI-ARC inputs. Amp plays Dolby Digital 5.1 or PCM stereo sound over HDMI-ARC.

Versatile Design

Use Sonos Amp to power your installed speakers as a separate Sonos room, or bond it with a pair of Sonos Ones, Play:1s, Play:3s, or Play:5s to become a surround sound setup that you can use with your TV. You can also use Amp to add your speakers as rears to a Sonos home-theater setup (by wirelessly bonding an Amp with Beam, Playbar, or Playbase) or use two Sonos Amps (one for the front right and left channels, the other for the rear channels) for surround sound.

The Sonos Amp drives left and right speakers, and it will create a phantom center channel when sent discrete audio for that channel.

Sonos Amp has all the features of Sonos in a powerful package:

• Sonos supports over 100 services. Choose the ones you want and listen to music, podcasts, radio, and audiobooks. You can also play all the music stored on your computer or other devices.
  • Sonos has built a software platform that enables hundreds of partners and gives our customers unparalleled freedom of choice. Amp features AirPlay 2, access to home automation partners, and voice control when wirelessly connected with Amazon Echo or Alexa-enabled devices, including Sonos One and Beam.
  • Use the Sonos app on your phone or tablet, your TV remote, keypads, AirPlay 2, or your voice with Amazon Echo and Alexa-enabled devices.
  • New APIs and deeper integrations with our platform partners let you create seamless smart home control.
  • Sonos is a system. Start with Amp and expand into more rooms with additional speakers through WiFi.
  • Sonos regularly updates with new features, voice services, and API integrations, so your options are always up to date and improving.

Availability

General availability on February 5, 2019 for $599 USD (£599 GBP, €699 EUR). Early access for installed solutions professionals on December 1 in the United States and Canada. Sign up to be notified of availability on Sonos.com.

For more details, check out our blog post on the Sonos Amp here.

Am i reading this right? Only one HDMI input? Really surprised by this. This seemed like the perfect device to replace all my bulky Denon Recievers. But I have a TV box, Apple TV and a PS4 that need to get routed to the TV. With only one HDMI input, the Sonos Amp is a non starter. Too bad. I love all my Sonos products and wish this had been a new option for me.

You misunderstand the configuration. The Amp is designed to receive the HDMI-ARC (Audio Return Channel) from the TV. You connect your devices to the TV, and the TV audio is sent to the Amp via HDMI-ARC (or optical if your TV doesn't have HDMI-ARC).
Am i reading this right? Only one HDMI input? Really surprised by this. This seemed like the perfect device to replace all my bulky Denon Recievers. But I have a TV box, Apple TV and a PS4 that need to get routed to the TV. With only one HDMI input, the Sonos Amp is a non starter. Too bad. I love all my Sonos products and wish this had been a new option for me.

It's an HDMI-ARC input, not an HDMI input. To explain further, your receiver takes in multiple HDMI inputs, you chose the input you want with the receiver, and then pass the video (HMDI out) to the TV. The amp, and all the other Sonos HT products, don't work like a receiver. Your inputs will go directly to the TV, and you'll use your TV to chose the input you want. The audio is then passed from the TV to the amp through the HDMI-ARC port. (or optical output as the case may be).

So yes, assuming your TV has the right capabilities as most modern TVs do, the Sonos amp can replace your receiver.
But then doesn't this require routing three HDMI cables from my devices to the TV, and then another one back from the TV to the Sonos Amp? That would have been easy when I built the house, but good luck doing that now without ripping up a lot of drywall and hardwood flooring. Two of my TVs have no place anywhere near them to place components.
It is an arc hdmi input meaning it is only meant to connect to tv. All your devices hook to the hdmi inputs on tv. Then the tv outputs audio to the hdmi arc input of the amp. Same as with Beam.
But then doesn't this require routing three HDMI cables from my devices to the TV, and then another one back from the TV to the Sonos Amp? That would have been easy when I built the house, but good luck doing that now without ripping up a lot of drywall and hardwood flooring. Two of my TVs have no place anywhere near them to place components.

Then the item is not for you. Horses for courses.
Sorry for the rudimentary nature of these questions. I have an old-school set up, with a Sonos Connect purchased in 2014 as a pre-amp. I currently have a PC > Boost > Connect > DAC > Integrated Amp > Floorstanding speakers.

If my 20 year old integrated amp dies, will this new Amp replace it?

If I got the Amp, would the Connect I have then become obsolete?

Would I just use the Sonos app to control volume?

Finally, can I connect my DAC to this Amp, or would my DAC still need to be connected through the Connect?

Thanks!
Sorry for the rudimentary nature of these questions. I have an old-school set up, with a Sonos Connect purchased in 2014 as a pre-amp. I currently have a PC > Boost > Connect > DAC > Integrated Amp > Floorstanding speakers.

If my 20 year old integrated amp dies, will this new Amp replace it?

Depends on your TV. If your TV has HDMI-ARC and CEC, then yes.

If I got the Amp, would the Connect I have then become obsolete?

Yes. No need for the Connect.

Would I just use the Sonos app to control volume?

Sonos app, TV remote, or Alexa.

Finally, can I connect my DAC to this Amp, or would my DAC still need to be connected through the Connect?

Thanks!

You would use the DAC in the Amp. No external DACs possible.

Then you could remove the speakers from your Denon and just use the receiver as a hdmi switch? Or if you want to get rid of it, get and actual hdmi switch. But yes, that's kind of forcing things, and you might be better sticking with your receivers.
@ jgatie. Thank you!

Actually, my Sonos system is completely independent of my TV. [I use a ZVOX soundbar for my TV]. I use Sonos strictly for music, working off of my high-end system in one room, and a couple of pairs Play 1s in another room. Do I need my TV (with HDMI-ARC and CEC) to run a dedicated music system?

Hmmm. No external DACs. Okay, a tradeoff. Far fewer boxes though. Just the Amp > Speakers.

Thanks for your prompt reply!
No, you do not need a TV to use the Amp. Essentially, it is a more powerful version of the Connect:Amp with the addition of an HDMI ARC input.
No, you do not need a TV to use the Amp. Essentially, it is a more powerful version of the Connect:Amp with the addition of an HDMI ARC input.

Thanks again. As you can tell, I’m behind the times. I’ll look into this hdmi arc to see if I’d like that. Otherwise, you’ve answered my questions about how this new Amp could indeed be a possible replacement in my stereo system.
I see Crutchfield expects to have the Amp available on November 14. Is that the release date for all outlets?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_616AMP/Sonos-Amp.html?awkw=557058542108&awat=pla&awnw=s&awcr=308624193330&awdv=c&awug=9005078&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7dyitYO83gIVirrACh28fAxdEAYYASABEgLLf_D_BwE
Interesting - Crutchfield must be counted as an installer. Great way for people to get them online. Sounds a little optimistic since Sonos said not available from installers until December 1.
If this takes 4 speakers - can the volume of each speaker be set independently via the Sonos app?
No You have left right fader controls as with anyndevice in setup screen.

Independent volume control for different speakers hooked to an amp would have to be done with something like in wall volume controls.
Interesting - Crutchfield must be counted as an installer. Great way for people to get them online. Sounds a little optimistic since Sonos said not available from installers until December 1.

My guess is this is a mistake. I'd expect that date to be updated soon. Then again, it may be that Sonos is trying to release the Amp early in order to push end of year sales...something they probably hoped Google integration would do.
I'm considering the Amp to replace an AVR and keeping the sub and four speakers but not the center one. The in-wall volume controls seem like the solution to me, not mounted in the wall but in a small PVC electrical box sitting out of sight. I'd normally have it adjusted to my favorite seating position but could tweak it for party mode without too much work.
This bums me out big time. I just bought one of the old Connect:Amps like 2 months ago. I just checked and I'm like a couple weeks too late to return it 😠
This bums me out big time. I just bought one of the old Connect:Amps like 2 months ago. I just checked and I'm like a couple weeks too late to return it :@

But it's not too late to sell it on ebay. Or if you prefer, find another purpose for the connect:amp in your home.

I'm in a similar situation to you in that I recently bought a separate amp to go with a connect because I wanted to integrate tv audio into the speakers. I'll probably be selling that on ebay when the Sonos amp comes out.
I am really looking forward to this new amp. The original connect:amp didn’t have enough power in my opinion. I’m currently using several connects and a multi-zone amp, but the connect does not send a strong enough singly at lower volumes and the amp shuts off. I’ve looked at tons of multi-zone amp replacements and there are very few with the sensitivity needed. With this, that all goes away and I can add a Sonos sub.
I am really looking forward to this new amp. The original connect:amp didn’t have enough power in my opinion. I’m currently using several connects and a multi-zone amp, but the connect does not send a strong enough singly at lower volumes and the amp shuts off. I’ve looked at tons of multi-zone amp replacements and there are very few with the sensitivity needed. With this, that all goes away and I can add a Sonos sub.Is your Connect set to Fixed or Variable output?
Variable, controlled via Sonos app. The amp is rack mounted in another part of the house.
OK. I can see why you would need to control volume through the app, short of installing volume controls throughout the house.
How about a trade-in program for older Amps? I just installed 2 in August and really want the new ones.
I've never seen Sonos do something like that before, when they've brought out new equipment, but an interesting thought.