Use NFC to Tap to Connect a Bluetooth Device?

• 17 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Why is the NFC not utilized more than on "setup" on the Sonos Roam? 

I see that the device supposedly uses NFC for set-up, although I don't remember having to turn my device on or hold it nearby my phone for set-up. Anyway, even if it uses it for that, why not also use the NFC capability to make the Roam even more convenient a device post-setup?

I have this pair of Cowin E7 Bluetooth Headphones that have NFC in them and when both my phone has Bluetooth and NFC turned on and I tap my phone to the headphones, they automatically connect to each other. 

It would be really neat if this also worked with the Sonos Roam, since it seems like the technology is in there to be able to do that and it isn't even necessary for what it says it is being used for. Perhaps this could be a software fix? Just update the NFC transmitter, once it's done with whatever it needs during setup, to communicate that it wants to connect via Bluetooth to the device that is next to it? Would be really neat and be able to override stuff like your Roam wanting to connect to your tablet when you want to connect it to your phone instead, rather than having to mess with settings on devices you just tap the two you want connected together... Just a thought.

Oh also this could all apply to the Move, I do not have one to test myself. For your information, I am using an Android phone with my Roams, using NFC to setup or tap to connect to Bluetooth could already work on Apple but I don't have a way to test that. Perhaps it is just broken on Android and not an advertised feature for that reason.

-CM

​​​

3 replies

NFC is a low distance, low content API. On your other devices, they use NFC to set up normal Bluetooth and network stuff where necessary, but the NFC data does not contain any music data itself. You may want to read the wikipedia page about NFC for more clarity than I can provide. Note that the effective distance for NFC is 10cm….

The NFC set up that Sonos uses does transmit the wifi and bluetooth data to the Roam/Move, so that it should just connect. For other “newer” Sonos speakers, it carries just the wifi/network data for setup.

@Airgetlam I know what NFC is why else would I make a post asking about making it be a more useful feature of the Sonos Roam, as it seems currently it does nothing or very little, and is not being advertised as a feature when it could be. 

I wouldn't expect NFC to actually transmit the music, I'm confused where you got the impression that's what I thought when the title of my post is just about using NFC to connect Bluetooth. I know NFC could be used to connect a new device by tapping the devices together, and it can be used for multiple functions, as I've seen both of those done with other devices.

Ohh does it work for you to tap and connect your devices via NFC to establish a Bluetooth connection? It does not work for me. I have to actually open Bluetooth settings and search for devices and put the Sonos into pairing mode. With NFC it should just be able to be tapped and understand I'm wanting to connect them via Bluetooth and it establish that connection for me. Do you be chance have an Apple device so that would narrow it down to just not working on Android or, god forbid, just not working on my devices?

Ohh that's a good point, I haven't had to set up new networks on my Roams before, it could use the NFC to send the network details from your phone to the speakers too, and I just hadn't had a chance to try that. I'm thinking I'll try a factory reset and hold my phone really far from the speaker when setting up and see if it actually needs the NFC at any point. 

​​​​

So yeah as I thought it seems like NFC isn't even utilized for set-up or adding a new networks... It's just a useless little price of tech in there? Sonos can you please make the NFC useful. Even if you can't get it to work on the software side for this iteration of Roam, maybe think about having NFC be more useful in later versions of the hardware, there are many great applications for it.