Answered

Sonos Roam keeps disconnecting while playing

Userlevel 1

We use our Roam to play white noise in our daughters room. The speaker is set up in her room on the wireless charger. Previously it always worked fine, and then now it randomly just drops out and appears as “not connected” in the Sonos app. It’ll play for an hour or so, and then it disappears. 

Hard rebooting the speaker via the button on the back returns it to the app and makes it usable again, but it’ll play for another hour or so and then randomly stop and disappear. 

For reference: my home sonos system runs on Sonosnet channel 6

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 4 January 2023, 14:39

View original

93 replies

The Roam does not use SonosNet, as you perhaps may be aware. Do you have your router WiFi 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands using separate SSID’s? - if so, then ensure the Roam is put onto the 2.4Ghz band and set the channel to either 1 or 11 (non-overlapping) and if the router allows, also set a channel-width of 20Mhz only and see if that improves the connection to the Roam.

If the SSID/credentials for the 2.4/5Ghz WiFi bands are the same, and cannot be easily separated, then check your router user-manual to see if you can perhaps manually steer the Roam onto the 2.4Ghz band, via the router configuration pages.

Userlevel 1

Did not know the Roam’s don’t use SonosNet. That certainly sheds some light on the issue.

For anyone stumbling upon this in the future: I have a Wifi Camera placed very close to the Roam device. The two devices are more than likely interfering with each other.

Thanks for the help!

Userlevel 1

Following up again:

turns out the camera interference is not the problem. The Roam is sitting on the 5Ghz network as you suggested and it drops off. Unfortunately, my router does not support forcing a device onto a specific frequency at this time (although they say it’s coming).

Is there anything that can be done on the Roam’s end? If the device can’t use a 5Ghz connection reliably, why does it connect at all? I know my WiFi cams will only connect via 2.4Ghz. Can’t the roam do the same?

Edit:

Updating again: Fully disabled 5Ghz on my router just to test the theory and the Roam still drops off 2.4Ghz. This is very frustrating.  

Following up again:

turns out the camera interference is not the problem. The Roam is sitting on the 5Ghz network as you suggested and it drops off. Unfortunately, my router does not support forcing a device onto a specific frequency at this time (although they say it’s coming).

Is there anything that can be done on the Roam’s end? If the device can’t use a 5Ghz connection reliably, why does it connect at all? I know my WiFi cams will only connect via 2.4Ghz. Can’t the roam do the same?

Edit:

Updating again: Fully disabled 5Ghz on my router just to test the theory and the Roam still drops off 2.4Ghz. This is very frustrating.  

What channel is the 2.4Ghz band using? If not using already, perhaps set it to either channel 1, 6 or 11. Also try playing a different audio source like Sonos radio (as an example) and see what happens in that case.

Userlevel 1

Following up again:

Edit:

What channel is the 2.4Ghz band using? If not using already, perhaps set it to either channel 1, 6 or 11. Also try playing a different audio source like Sonos radio (as an example) and see what happens in that case.

Unfortunately my mesh system (TP-Link Deco) doesn’t allow for manual channel picking.

Unfortunately my mesh system (TP-Link Deco) doesn’t allow for manual channel picking.

So the WiFi hubs can overlap their WiFi channels and create wirekess interference? Maybe that’s where your problems lie. I would suggest a reboot of the entire TP-Link Deco system and just see if that reduces interference and resolves your matter.

Hi,

I’m experiencing the same issue and also have a TP-Link Deco Wi-Fi system. Re-booting the system didn’t make any difference for me. Are there any other possible solutions?

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I’m experiencing the same issue and also have a TP-Link Deco Wi-Fi system. Re-booting the system didn’t make any difference for me. Are there any other possible solutions?

Not really. I have a second Roam downstairs that I moved up into the bedroom, and that one seems to work without issues. I might reach out to Sonos about the unreliable Roam but I haven’t had the time. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

It’s happening the same with my Sonos Roam and it's been like this for months,   no matter if I’m using Airplay or  Spotify, it stops playing randomly.   my router is the M5 from TP Link, rebooted several times, updated the app and reinstall the controller but it makes no difference, no matter if other devices work fine in my network, the Roam kips glitchin    

Have you set up a “reserved” IP address for your Roam in the router’s firmware? Have you tried to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it? Is there any possibility of wifi interference ?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I called Tech support and they said that it’s a network issue According To The diagnostics, apparently my Roam is connected to different networks although there’s only 1 SSID registered in the controller app, and told me that there is one that’s causing interference. In my TV room, 
The modem is a square device with 2 antennas and the access point from TPLink  that is a circular device with a blue LED on the top, and a repeater upstairs. I don’t know how to set them up so I can get rid of this ridiculously  disgusting issue, I bought this supposedly   fancy and waterproof Sonos Roam speaker thinking that it would always  work entirely errors free, but unfortunately This Is what I’ve got, an unrreliable product            

Userlevel 2

I hate this Sonos roam - it keeps disconnecting randomly.  If the sound wasn’t so good, I throw it against the wall.  I called customer service and they told me to turn off the cellular data- doesn’t work and they won’t take back the product.

Just bought a Roam and have the same issue but the bluetooth connection drops at the same time. Any ideas...I’ve had it 4 days and it’s already doing my head in

Userlevel 2

Yes same thing. won’t connect to bluetooth. It’s random. Doesn’t matter what room of the house I’m in…..

It’s happening the same with my Sonos Roam and it's been like this for months,   no matter if I’m using Airplay or  Spotify, it stops playing randomly.   my router is the M5 from TP Link, rebooted several times, updated the app and reinstall the controller but it makes no difference, no matter if other devices work fine in my network, the Roam kips glitchin    

Same.  Doesn’t matter if I’m on wifi or Bluetooth, Spotify or from phone directly.  Always dropping out and/or failing to connect.  No other network issues in house.  Think it’s an issue with Roam that Sonos aren’t acknowledging.  Lots of reports of this.

Userlevel 2

So what do we do about this?  Sonos needs to address this issue and find a solution. Do we bombard management with our concerns?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Same issue. The tech support person i spoke with about a month ago said it is a known issue with mesh networks. I think it’s just a defective product. A friend of mine thinks it’s because it’s their first Bluetooth speaker. Who knows. At this point thought I wouldn’t buy any Sonos speaker that has Bluetooth. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

It’s happening the same with my Sonos Roam and it's been like this for months,   no matter if I’m using Airplay or  Spotify, it stops playing randomly.   my router is the M5 from TP Link, rebooted several times, updated the app and reinstall the controller but it makes no difference, no matter if other devices work fine in my network, the Roam kips glitchin.
@CF79, Did you get it sorted out? I perhaps have a network issue at home, the walls are made of concrete,  I got 2 replacement units, same issue. It’s so difficult to diagnose, as it’s random. Mine when it’s playing through Bluetooth cuts out from 1 second  every 15 to 20 minutes or so, but playing through Airplay is mor frequent     

Same.  Doesn’t matter if I’m on wifi or Bluetooth, Spotify or from phone directly.  Always dropping out and/or failing to connect.  No other network issues in house.  Think it’s an issue with Roam that Sonos aren’t acknowledging.  Lots of reports of this.

Userlevel 2

Time to write to Patrick Spence, president, and  CEO of Sonos

pspence@sonos.com

Userlevel 1

Having the same issues. When I bought the Roam it was working excellent, as it should. Never had issues. Now I’m about to through it in a deep River and never buy such a faulty product again. @Sonos  please listen to the complaints and fix it! You are losing your brand ambassadors 

I have Google Mesh Network and same issue, only turning it on and off works.  Sometimes setting it as a priority device on my network can give it a few more days before it disconnects again.  So frustrating that it’s been over a year and still no fix or workaround.

I have the same issue, which makes my Sonos Roam almost unusable (for how I want to use it). Drop offs happen usually after, several minutes to under an hour, and that’s only if the Roam hasn’t already disconnected when I try to play music in the first place. I have a BT Smart Hub 2 Complete WI-FI mesh network. It’s worth noting, my other 5 smart speakers (from other brands) have no issues, nor do the large number of other WI-FI devices I have. My advice, don’t buy a Sonos Roam if you have a mech network. I’ll reach out to Sonos, and update if I’m ever provided a solution.

Userlevel 2

I’m don’t know much about tech but i have Verizon Fios router and my Bose speaker worked perfectly as does my JBL. 
I’m going to call and try to speak with someone in management because this is ridiculous. 

I hate this Sonos roam - it keeps disconnecting randomly.  If the sound wasn’t so good, I throw it against the wall.  I called customer service and they told me to turn off the cellular data- doesn’t work and they won’t take back the product.

I have Google Mesh Network and same issue, only turning it on and off works.  Sometimes setting it as a priority device on my network can give it a few more days before it disconnects again.  So frustrating that it’s been over a year and still no fix or workaround.

Same issue and spent hours with Sonos tech over past year to no success, poor product 

I seem to recall the Google Mesh System was not popular with Sonos products setup on its WiFi system and there was a recommendation to use ‘wired-mode’ SonosNet - of course that type of connection is not available to the Roam so that’s perhaps why you’ve been having some difficulty. See this thread for further information and note the things mentioned about Google Mesh…

Sonos on WiFi Mesh

Here’s a quick suggestion, if practicable, I would maybe just run the Google Mesh for non-Sonos products using double NAT and maybe run the Sonos setup and a dedicated controller on your ISP provided router WiFi network instead and just see if that perhaps resolves the issues you’ve been experiencing. Hope that suggestion assists.