Answered

Sonos Roam connection issue on low bluetooth volume

• 30 April 2024
  • 5 replies

When I connect my phone to my sonos roam via bluetooth, I initially don’t get any music from the speaker, although music is playing on the phone. Also when I hit the Play button on the Roam, I can’t pause the music. I still get the “connection successful” sound by the roam and my phone also shows that I am connected. This only happens, when the bluetooth volume is below a certain level (about 2/3 max level). What helps is turning the bluetooth volume to maximum after connecting and once I hear the music turn it back down. At this point I can also control the music with the buttons on the roam such as pause or next song. Is there a certain input thrshold, before the roam acknowledges the connection, and if yes, can I lower it? I use my roam a lot to listen to quiet music in the middle of the night, and it is a real pain to always have to max the volume for a successful connection.

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 6 May 2024, 15:16

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @wghwg14, welcome to the Sonos Community!

It’s quite a strange issue and not something I’ve heard before personally, but there isn’t any documentation suggesting that the Roam needs a minimum volume level to successfully connect to a Bluetooth device.

If you have your phone closer to the Roam, does that let you pair at lower volumes or do you still have to set it to max? Another suggestion would be to try a different Bluetooth source device, like another phone, or a laptop or computer, to see if you still need to set your volume to max. If you’re only able to replicate the issue on your phone and no other device, I would suggest making sure your phone is fully up to date.

I would also recommend reaching out to our support team for further troubleshooting. It would be worth replicating the issue to the point you receive the Bluetooth connection sound on the Roam and can’t use the buttons on the Roam or hear music. Once you’re at this stage, submit a diagnostics in the Sonos app give the reference number to the next support agent you contact.

I hope this helps!

So I just connected my Surface Pro X and I was able to replicate the problem. I think I’m gonna contact the support team soon, just as you suggested. Diagnostics Code is 620508184. I post it here so I don’t lose it :-D

So I contacted support and unfortunatley this problem seems to be so exotic, that they were not able to help me. Could anybody with a Roam try to recreate the problem by doing the following steps?

1. Connect your phone/device to the Roam via bluetooth
  2. Turn down the bluetooth-volume on your phone to a little bit over minimum (since divices usually store the last known bluetooth volume for each device)
  3. Disconnect the bluetooth connection
  4. Connect via bluetooth once more, without changing the volume
  5. Start to play a song on Spotify / any other audio app on your phone
  6. Hit the play button on your Roam. This should pause the song on your phone. If it does, your connection seems ok.

As for me I get a yellow flashing light and nothing happens (the song keeps playing on my phone and I don’t hear anything)

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @wghwg14

I asked my colleague to try the steps you listed and they weren’t able to replicate the issue, even when on the lowest volume.

It’s possible that this is a hardware fault with your Roam as I’ve never seen an issue like this and it’s not listed in our systems, however I can’t say for certain. I can see that you had a live chat with our support team who suggested you call them to continue troubleshooting. I would recommend doing so for further support and to set up a replacement if your Roam is found to be faulty.

I did already call them and was on the phone with a very nice lady for at least 30min, but unfortunately we were not able to resolve the issue. Since it's not a huge problem, I will just continue to the speaker as it is. Thank you for your answers :-)