Skip to main content
Question

Roam connectivity

• 29 May 2024
  • 5 replies

Why do you call a product ROAM if I can’t leave the house with it?!

App needs to be updated!!
I move around a lot and bought the Roam speaker so that I could take all the great features of the Sonos system I have at home on the road with me. This whole factory reset procedure just because I’m on a hotel WiFi ,a network I can’t change the SSID of, is completely ridiculous. I own Bluetooth speakers that will not play music while I’m doing other things on my phone that cost 1/3 or less than this. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

The Roam was designed so that without WiFi you could enjoy music on your device via Bluetooth. If you are having trouble connecting to a Hotel network it may be do to your device permissions required by the Hotel network. The best way to avoid that is to purchase a travel router which are relatively inexpensive. Of course the more expensive options will offer better performance. Click the link for an example. 

https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNet-GL-AXT1800-Pocket-Sized-Extender-Repeater/dp/B0B2J7WSDK/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=1TN9O8O5A22C4&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.ouYG_5Umz8hd70EhoqyH4z5R80tosVXkaw50Wju8pS0b7JnJaE6H-RjGeVCrF2DrBlE2F5zqSBGcDxkw0EiwlqRVln9g535OCra9xNfCvTIcWGLk87TIPzsAJ4zzklTkWYZYid39DVCaH5D78SHGq6H1bkfdYSt8DSygWq5FlklzQIJe_9wNqnbpOEwpnslNlPsk8m5EWghivkhFO7KHzQ.1S_V6vlcmUMuC48FD43x000sYWPacvYQK3HP4v637Os&dib_tag=se&keywords=travel+router+for+hotel+wifi&qid=1716985722&sprefix=travel+router%2Caps%2C437&sr=8-4

Is it that difficult for Sonos to update the app to see my Roam via Bluetooth and update the WiFi settings whenever I move to a new location?

You don’t need the app to connect the Roam via Bluetooth. Just place the Roam in pairing mode and use your device’s BT menu to connect. Then stream your stored music on your device to the Roam. 

You are missing the point. I have owned Bluetooth speakers for years. What I like about the Sonos system, is that it will continue to play music even if I answer a phone call or leave the room for a minute while other people are still listening. I spent a lot of money on the Roam so that I could have those features on the road or while visiting family and friends. It would seem that a firmware and app update could make this a reality using a Bluetooth connection between the 2 to make this seamless. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You are missing the point. I have owned Bluetooth speakers for years. What I like about the Sonos system, is that it will continue to play music even if I answer a phone call or leave the room for a minute while other people are still listening. I spent a lot of money on the Roam so that I could have those features on the road or while visiting family and friends. It would seem that a firmware and app update could make this a reality using a Bluetooth connection between the 2 to make this seamless. 

I don’t think the point was missed.  WiFi operation is very different to BT.  In BT mode the device is just playing the audio output of whatever BT speaker is attached.  Those protocols are limited. 

Wifi requires the speaker is effectively a server with audio capabilities and so needs to be embedded into a wifi network and needs permissions not granted in Public wifi areas.  As above buying a travel router and setting it up with you home ssid details and pword provides a solution that fits your brief.  Alternatively if your Friends and family let you add their SSID and password as a wifi access point that will provide a solution too.