Ongoing RBSOAM

• 4 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Have had two ROAMS for about 2-years. Nothing but issues keeping them connected to WI-FI and Grouped.  Utter garbage!!!  Honestly the worst purchase I have ever made. What a waste of money.  Support system is about as useful as the speakers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Have had two Roams about the same time, or longer …and never had an issue with either one. Perhaps your local network has SSDP (UPnP) multicast discovery issues. Have you spoken with Sonos support to perhaps explore that possibility?

Hi I have a Sonos Roam and have consistent problems with it since I purchased it 4 years ago. It hasn’t worked properly in 2 houses and I regularly phone support, do a factory reset and it works for a few days and then again it goes back to where it is not on the Sonos App and my IPhone can’t connect do it. The latest today is the factory reset doesn’t even work. I am so frustrated and would like a refund but Sonos still think they can resolve it. By the way my Sonos Plays work perfectly and have had no issues so I don’t think there is anything wrong with the installation of the App, my iPhone or the wireless router.

Hi I have a Sonos Roam and have consistent problems with it since I purchased it 4 years ago. It hasn’t worked properly in 2 houses and I regularly phone support, do a factory reset and it works for a few days and then again it goes back to where it is not on the Sonos App and my IPhone can’t connect do it. The latest today is the factory reset doesn’t even work. I am so frustrated and would like a refund but Sonos still think they can resolve it. By the way my Sonos Plays work perfectly and have had no issues so I don’t think there is anything wrong with the installation of the App, my iPhone or the wireless router.

Maybe switch WiFi band. So if the Roam is using the 5Ghz band then switch it to use the 2.4Ghz band. Then set that band to use a fixed non-overlapping channel - either channel 1, 6 or 11 and set the channel-width to 20Mhz only. Ensure it only connects to the main router and if you have other WiFi access points blacklist its MAC address on those devices to ensure its main router connection only and see if that resolves your issues. You could also optionally reserve the Roams IP address in the routers DHCP reservation table, maybe set it higher up in the subnet to prevent duplicate addressing issues. 

Hope those few quick things will go onto sort the matter.

Hi Ken

I appreciate you work for Sonos and are trying to cover their back but I spoke to a BT Profesional and did all that you said: changing to 2.4Ghz and changing channels and nothing worked. He has advised me to tell Sonos that there is a faulty adapter and/or faulty software and that the product is defective. 

Hi Ken

I appreciate you work for Sonos and are trying to cover their back but I spoke to a BT Profesional and did all that you said: changing to 2.4Ghz and changing channels and nothing worked. He has advised me to tell Sonos that there is a faulty adapter and/or faulty software and that the product is defective. 

Just to say I don’t work for Sonos. I’m just another Sonos Roam user like yourself. My Wife has a Roam too. We use a different internet service provider here in the UK but have our own mesh WiFi system and never had an issues with either Roam - both work great around the Home and even down the bottom of the garden some 60 feet away outdoors. SSDP multicast discovery works well with our setup. You only have to read this lengthy thread where BT offered to fix things here with a firmware update to see these things are a BT issue…