Answered

Not a question - just some major gripes - Return/get a refund if possible

The Sonos Roam is constantly dropping from my home PC and iPhone. Yes, it’s set up properly via wifi with the Sonos app. Yes, I follow the instructions on the Sonos site (incl. factory reset). Yes, it’s fully charged. Etc, etc. I even get it to work sometimes (for several consecutive days)...until it doesn’t (dropping randomly with me doing absolutely nothing).

I have looked in several Sonos community threads to investigate and a lot of feedback is not helpful (things I already did repeatedly) and usually condescending (the equivalent of “try ctrl-alt-del you dolt”).

My gripes -

• Why does my Roam keep dropping randomly when using Bluetooth (on my phone or PC) - Actually, don’t answer this - I give up.
  • Why does the Roam not have a Bluetooth button if it is intended to be primarily a Bluetooth device (using the on/off button to pair the device is an idiotic design flaw in my view)?
  • Why do I need to link it with my wifi to get it started in any case (few if any other Bluetooth-enabled speakers require this)?
  • Why can’t a I simply use this as a ‘wired’ speaker with my PC as that would be an option - albeit a costly option - to get around the Bluetooth issues I am having?

Alas, I had extensive experience with Sonos speakers and systems years ago when it first came out (bridges, multiple speakers in different rooms and outdoors), and it worked fine. I eventually stopped using it in favor of using Bluetooth enabled devices in each room (long story short, it’s much easier to manage kid/wife expectations that way).

I do not have the same opinion of this product, and I cannot recommend the Sonos Roam at all.

DO NOT BUY (or return it before it’s too late and save hours of lost of time).

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 7 January 2023, 17:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

A sticky wifi antenna?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

A sticky wifi antenna?

Yes, a sticky Wifi antenna, as it might make the music stop randomly even with the greatest Wifi connection of the planet, when an Alexa Echo 4th gen plays without issue in my same location, in my same Wifi, in the same environment 

@Ken_Griffiths, ok, I might have a network problem but Here we go again. 

1: I’ve tried to contact Sonos Mexico   Tech Support  many times, they’re quite unresponsive and unhelpful, nobody answers the calls and the chats get disconnected. 

2: I’m a person with vissual disabilities and it’s difficult for me to look at the printed manuals on my router to set it up, I live with 6 family members and everyone uses the network, so they don’t let me to touch the router, a simple reboot doesn’t makes a difference, and I’m not a technissian to sort out network issues. 

If your family members won’t let you or anyone else change your local router/network settings, then you will likely continue to have the same issues spoken about many (many) times in the past - there really isn’t anything anyone here can do to alter your situation. So as I mentioned earlier, just sell the Roam and get something else instead, like you keep saying you are going to do. 

I recommend selling the ROAM. Obviously, your present network configuration cannot provide the support that ROAM needs and your network cannot be adjusted. Replace ROAM with an inexpensive, simple Bluetooth speaker.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Speedtest, and any variations of similar apps, measure merely the speed between one device, and the end point for that app. What they don’t do is check for communication in your local LAN between devices, the speed thereof, or even for potentials like duplicate IP addresses. They’re great apps for that one thing, they’re not very good at the things that Sonos itself uses much more robustly than any other network device. 

I get your point, but in this case, my Roam is the only Sonos speaker that I have, my network, and any standard Wifi environment should be suitable for playing content on this speaker without a hustle    

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Speedtest, and any variations of similar apps, measure merely the speed between one device, and the end point for that app. What they don’t do is check for communication in your local LAN between devices, the speed thereof, or even for potentials like duplicate IP addresses. They’re great apps for that one thing, they’re not very good at the things that Sonos itself uses much more robustly than any other network device. 

I get your point, but in this case, my Roam is the only Sonos speaker that I have, my network, and any standard Wifi environment should be suitable for playing content on this speaker without a hustle    

But it’s not, for some reason. And since you can’t/won’t change your network setup your problems will continue. 

In various threads you say you’ve had two replacement Roams. Three different speakers, and you claim they’re all faulty. That now seems very unlikely. 

It’s time: sell your Roam, as you’ve been saying you will for several months now.