Answered

Sonos Move is visible, but doesn't play audio after inactivity

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I have the exact same problem. What I also experience is when this occurs to me with the move going to sleep as you stated, I get the same result,  but ir effects my entire system. I can't ay music through the Arc either. If I reboot the move, amazingly the music will return to the move and/or the arc.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Not sure if this is related, but I am having issues with both my Moves.  When on the charger, they work fine.  When I take them to the patio/pool.  They will stop playing or play music for 2 seconds per minute...just constantly cutting out.  Powering off and then on usually fixes, but sometimes the speakers have to be cycled 2+ times to work.  I have these grouped with some Ones and a Roam.  Only the Move experiences the music cutting out.  Seems to happen with SiriusXM and Spotify.  As others have reported, the app shows the speakers online and playing.

Hopefully this is consistent with the problem being addressed.

Not sure if this is related, but I am having issues with both my Moves.  When on the charger, they work fine.  When I take them to the patio/pool.  They will stop playing or play music for 2 seconds per minute...just constantly cutting out.  Powering off and then on usually fixes, but sometimes the speakers have to be cycled 2+ times to work.  I have these grouped with some Ones and a Roam.  Only the Move experiences the music cutting out.  Seems to happen with SiriusXM and Spotify.  As others have reported, the app shows the speakers online and playing.

Hopefully this is consistent with the problem being addressed.

I don’t think it’s the same issue reported here from what you have outlined - is it perhaps a case you have a separate WiFi access point, or WiFi extender out by the pool? My thoughts are your Moves are maybe using the 5Ghz band, which has limited reach and penetration.

It is working when you switch them off/on again because they then switch to a nearer access point… but that’s just a bit of a guess on my part.

You might find, if that is the case, that the speakers may work much better on the local 2.4Ghz Band instead and maybe set the channel-width to 20Mhz only… if using WiFi access points or extenders, then try setting those to use the same fixed non-overlapping channels as the main router (channel 1, 6 or 11) and ensure the channel-width is the same too (20Mhz, ideally).

That’s just my suggestion without knowing a little more detail about your network setup.

Userlevel 7

Try rebooting the Move by following the steps below and reboot your router and phone.

1. Take Move off of the charging base.
  2. Hold the power button for at least 5 seconds, or until the status light turns off.
  3. Wait 10 seconds.
  4. Press the power button or place Move back onto its charging base.

I’ve been experiencing the same issues since the 14.6 update was released. The 14.6.1 update and 14.8 updates did nothing to resolve the issues.

But I found 2 interesting things whilst troubleshooting:

It you turn off the unit by holding down the power button for 6 seconds, it will turn off. Remove it from the base. The next time that you want to connect to the Move, just put it on the base. It will take 15 seconds for it to boot and you can usually connect on the first try.

Also, if you set an alarm on the unit for say like 6AM. It will turn on at the appropriate time and play whatever station that you had it set to. At this point, you can change the station to whatever you wish.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What network hardware do you have? Sounds like the WOL (Wake On Lan) magic packet that the app sends when it starts up is not making it to your Move. This would explain why after it goes into sleep mode, you cannot wake it.

WOL is a crappy “standard”, for sure, but its all we have, and it isn’t even supposed to work over WiFi though in my experience (with a Beam) it works fine. I do have a high quality router though.

Userlevel 7

Did you reboot your router and phone too?

The 14.10 update fixed it for me. Hopefully it fixed it for you as well.

Thanks Sonos for taking 2 months to solve the problem that you created (again).

Same problem as you describe, started same time, tried same solutions.

Practically I no longer use my sonos move, since i cant reset the thing every single time i wish to use it :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could also send a diagnostic to Sonos right after your problem occurs and call Sonos about it.

I have exactly the same problem, really annoying and wish I hadn’t bought it. So disappointed in Sonos

Really?… Sonos have already acknowledged and said they will fix this… it only started a few weeks ago so it’s just a case of waiting for the update. Meanwhile, see workaround:

No. Still having issues with the Move. I have the latest version on the hardware and app. Still will not connect, sporadically.  All I use this speaker for is my turn table. When it works it’s great, but it doesn’t work. 
About to ‘Move’ this thing to the garbage. It’s a $400 speaker. I’m very very frustrated. 🫤

Glad to hear I am not alone here on this one!

Any further update on this one? It’s really becoming very annoying and disappointing from Sonos.

edited… just updated app now and is working again… I must have tempted fate there by messaging!

The new app update didn’t work for me, I hadn’t noticed this issue until a few days back after I had left the move off the charging base overnight and couldn’t re connect.  Do we we know officially if this issue has been fixed ?  

I am not who you are asking, Controlav.  But for me and others on this thread this is a fairly recent problem.  It seems tied to a recent update, not any hardware issue.  For the record I recently changed routers (in part to see if it would help address this issue) from a Verizon-issued G3100 to a Google Nest.  Nothing changed.

Does anyone know if Sonos monitors these threads?  

The new app update didn’t work for me, I hadn’t noticed this issue until a few days back after I had left the move off the charging base overnight and couldn’t re connect.  Do we we know officially if this issue has been fixed ?  

Perhaps see this link regarding the Move’s battery saver feature and maybe see if that throws any light on the issue you were seeing…

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5085

Workaround doesn’t really work for me, music starts playing suddenly after 4-5 minutes. And it’s been a more than a month. I have an expensive speaker chllin, and  no music. So I am also very disappointed.