Move Disappearing Again

• 11 February 2021
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

In my living room I have an Arc and Sub. The ARC is wired to the router. In my kitchen I have a Move. When I first set it up, I could connect the Move to the app no problem, however, after a while it disappears. 

If I shut off the Move, it will appear on the App as offline. If I turn it on again, it will appear and work fine. Its a bit of a pain to have to recycle the power everytime I use it. A couple of updates ago, it seemed like it was finally fixed and the move stayed connected.

I did an update yesterday and now its broken again and I have to restart everytime I want to use it.

Its docked when this is happening

14 replies

Important to note that your network, and any interference it gets, is not restricted to your WiFi devices only. There are many reasons for interference, and quite a few are from outside your network. Even if you haven’t changed anything, that doesn’t mean the environment for the network hasn’t. 

I am having the same issue, it appears offline when I turn it off but as soon as I return to the base or power on it disappears. 

I have my entire Sonos system on Sonos Boost network 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @dmlear57.

Thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

It might have to do with wifi interference since it keeps on disconnecting into your network.

If you move the Sonos move to a different place in your house does it keeps on disappearing?

May I know also the network setup you have like the modem, router, or if you're using a mesh network?

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I can try moving it to another room but the idea was to keep it in the kitchen.

I the living room I have an Xfinity modem/router that is the internet gateway. It sits direcly below my Arc whichis plugged directly into it. The Move is in the next room, using a wifi connection to this router.

In my office in the basement I have a Linksys router which I use for my office equipment. The linksys router gets it’s internet connection thru a wired connection to the Xfinity gateway. Each WIFI connection has a different name.

There was an app update a few weeks ago which seemed like it fixed it. It stopped dropping the connection. It started aging after the update a couple of days ago.

I have the same problem.  The Sonos Move keeps disappearing.  Other wireless devices in the same room (e.g. my laptop) report a strong signal so I am pretty sure it is not a problem with my wireless network. Seems like a firmware problem with the Move.

I have a similar issue and my Move as it will not appear on the app but has a white light status. Tried factory reset whilst on chat function with Sonos agent -it eventually linked to my router but fails to appear on the app. Have also reloaded the app to my phone and mac book so software up to date. it is not my wifi as have two other Sonos speakers and a Sonos connect streamer in the same room as the move on its dock and all work fine.so Definitely an issue with the Move….will try calling Sonos for help as diagnostic check on chat function was inconclusive

Same issue here.  Frustrating

Perhaps see if this helps to improve the Sonos Move network connection for you…

1. Set the main routers 2.4Ghz WiFi channel to ‘fixed’ channel 1, 6 or 11 and set the channel-width to 20MHz only. 
  2. If there are any other wireless access points on the network, then set those to all use the same SSID, security, password, fixed WiFi channels and channel-width as those you have in use on the main router,
  3. Wire just one Sonos device direct to your router. Then go into the Sonos App and do the following two things:
  • Goto “Settings/System/Network” and set the SonosNet channel so that it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel in Step 1 above.
  • Whilst in the Network Settings in the Sonos App, goto ‘Wireless Setup’ and reset/remove your routers 5Ghz WiFi credentials (if present in the network list), but leave or (if required) add the 2.4Ghz band to the Move using the ‘update networks’ option in the manage networks section of the App.

See if that then improves your Sonos Move connectivity - if not, go back and simply try different non-overlapping Router-WiFi/SonosNet channels, but whilst using SonosNet always keep the two at least 5 channels apart.

Badge +1

I’m having the same issue

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

My Move is on S1, 2.4gh. I'm NOT on SonosNet (no player wired to router), never had a problem with dropouts and it's always shown on the S1 app.

My Move is on S1, 2.4gh. I'm NOT on SonosNet (no player wired to router), never had a problem with dropouts and it's always shown on the S1 app.

Obviously the ‘Move’ does not use SonosNet anyway. The only purpose for moving the rest of the system to SonosNet and also fixing the routers channel-width to 20MHz is to free up the band, reduce interference and by forcing the ‘Move’ onto the 2.4Ghz band, that will also certainly improve its wireless penetration and connection to the LAN. That’s the overall aim of the suggestion mentioned in my post above and can perhaps be considered with these two Sonos Support links also in mind:

Wireless Interference Document:

WiFi Interference

Wireless Interference Video:

Wireless Interference and Sonos

I’m having the same issue with my Sonos move since setting up a new Arc and sub. Move won’t appear on Sonos app. When I turn move off it appears in app as off line. If I turn move back on it disappears from the Sonos app. 
white light is solid indicating connected to wifi 

have tried hard reset and new setup multiple times. 
excellent wifi signal throughout room. 
Any ideas what has happens to the Sonos move? 

I have the exact same problem. I have a playbar, a connect:amp, 2 Play1 and have no issues with any of these devices. Since I jave purchased the Move, it keeps vanishing from my S2 app. When I turn it off, it shows as offline. So far, the solution has been to reboot my wireless router. It’s a Netgear Nighhawk Mesh and I have absolutely no issues with any of my other wireless devices. I have tried to place the MOVE into another location, near the playbar which never disconnects but it still disconnects.

Not impressed with the MOVE.

I have also tried, channels 1, 6 and 11 on my 2.4GHZ.
I have disabled the 20/40 MHZ cohabitation.

Has anyone find a fix?

@palphonso82,
Maybe see if this link helps you to resolve what sounds like SSDP multicast broadcast ‘device discovery’ issues with your router. Some of the Netgear/Nighthawk routers are apparently known to have these issues looking online and perhaps see if there is a firmware update for your router…

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7800-X4S-Nighthawk-Multicast-Broadcast-Issues-Sonos/td-p/1518170