Unable to play airplay on arc

• 21 September 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

Unable to play airplay on arc

I have a sonos arc and two sonos one. Airplay works fine on sonos one. However it never works on Sonos Arc. Have tried multiple troubleshooting steps given by customer support(60+ mins). But no luck so far.

Steps performed:

• Tried aiplaying from another mac, ipad and iphone.
  • Removed wifi extenders from setup.
  • Switched arc from wireless to wired with wifi still on.
  • Multiple restarts to router, arc, iphone.
  • Factory reset of arc(Even though it was not recommended).

But no luck so far. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Silly questions, mostly because I don’t think I can be of significant help, but

1. You’re talking about AirPlay 2, not just AirPlay, correct?
  2. You haven’t by any chance turned off the Wifi on the Arc, because you’ve wired it?

Oops. I see your third bullet point covers my second question.

Grasping at straws, as I can AirPlay 2 to both of my Arcs. 

Userlevel 7

Where in the process does it fail? Can you select the Arc as the Airplay device or does the Arc not show in the list of available devices?

Badge

It does display in the list of available devices, however as soon as I click on it I get a pop-up on phone “Airplay Unable to connect to ‘Living Room’”.

Badge

Silly questions, mostly because I don’t think I can be of significant help, but

1. You’re talking about AirPlay 2, not just AirPlay, correct?
  2. You haven’t by any chance turned off the Wifi on the Arc, because you’ve wired it?

Yes talking about Airplay 2. And my Wi-Fi is turned on.

So, it sounds like the Sonos device is broadcasting the signal back to the AirPlay 2 device properly for identification, but when you’re attempting to send data, it’s failing. 

Might be helpful to know a little bit more about your network, such as type, maker, and model. Removing extenders, at least for testing, is probably helpful. Once we get it back up and working you can likely re-enable them. 

Are you able to use AirPlay 2 to any other devices, such as an Apple TV? Or do you have any other devices that purport to be AirPlay 2 targets?

Which Apple OS are you using? Since it’s failing on that list, I’m assuming they’re all using the same OS….

Which Sonos version number is on the Arc, and more specifically, which build number is it? 

Badge

So, it sounds like the Sonos device is broadcasting the signal back to the AirPlay 2 device properly for identification, but when you’re attempting to send data, it’s failing. 

Might be helpful to know a little bit more about your network, such as type, maker, and model. Removing extenders, at least for testing, is probably helpful. Once we get it back up and working you can likely re-enable them. 

Are you able to use AirPlay 2 to any other devices, such as an Apple TV? Or do you have any other devices that purport to be AirPlay 2 targets?

Which Apple OS are you using? Since it’s failing on that list, I’m assuming they’re all using the same OS….

Which Sonos version number is on the Arc, and more specifically, which build number is it? 

Network Details:

My router is Tp Link Archer AX1800, I had an wi-fi extender, but have disconnected it and am not planning to connect it until this gets resolved.

Airplay 2 works on all other devices I own (Apple tv, two homepods, two sonos one).

iOS version: 16.0

iPadOS version: 15.7

macOS version: 12.6

Sonos Arc Version: 14.16 (build 69133120)

Thanks for that. 

I’m not familiar with Archer as a manufacturer, but they don’t appear on the list that Sonos maintains about routers with potential issues. And there is definitely something odd going on, if AirPlay 2 is working fine on the Sonos Ones. 

Given that, and the fact that AirPlay 2 is working on both my Arcs, with similar OS uses as you have, I’ve got nothing for you. sorry. Perhaps someone else might have better/deeper knowledge than I.