Being flexible with a pair of Ones?

• 30 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I just purchased a Beam for my (modest) home theatre set-up, and I’m quite enjoying the idea of jumping deeper into the Sonos ecosystem. I’m debating purchasing a pair of Ones to improve my experience of music while roaming through the apartment (i.e. by placing one in bedroom and one in kitchen). But, this feels a bit too luxurious for my annual income, so I’m looking for some extra value-added. Would it be possible to use this pair of speakers in a modular fashion? I.e. during the day, they could be set-up in different rooms, but at night (or when needed), they could shift into position as rear speakers in a home theatre surround sound system (albeit without the Sub)? Would this kind of a flexible/modular system be simple enough to maneuver through the app? Or is the process of identifying speakers as part of a surround system a bit more time-intensive / cumbersome than I’m imagining? (And, more specifically: is it possible to set-up surround rears without having a Sub as part of the system?).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

They’re equivalents. Can be grouped, paired, used as surrounds, the whole nine yards. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

One quick follow-up:  when pairing two Sonos speakers together, would the One and the One SL be considered “equivalents”? Or can a One only be paired with another One?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Turning speakers from separate mono speakers into a surround set up requires quite a lot of steps - and you lose Trueplay with every change. I’d wait for a good deal coming up or maybe try the (cheaper) Ikea Symfonisks for surrounds.