Playbar: lay it flat or stand on edge?

• 20 March 2014
  • 9 replies

Badge
I'm aware that Playbar's built-in accelerometers automatically sense its orientation and adjust its sound accordingly. But how? Or rather, to what? Specifically, what are the technical and audio differences between laying it flat and standing it on edge (or wall mounting)? Does changing the orientation simply change the equalisation (bass/treble/loudness/speech mode), or is there something else going on? Why does panel location make a difference? Which orientation is better for music? Which is better for movies?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello User103258,

The PLAYBAR detects its orientation so that it can adjust which of the internal speakers are to play the right and left channels. The rest of the EQ settings aren't orientation dependent.

Cheers
Badge +1
I've experimented with both orientations and am still evaluating.  I'm not positive but I think I like the sound with the Playbar upright (on edge as you put it), but I prefer the look of the lower profile.  My extensive research of other forum comments doesn't seem to support that there is any real difference, so it might be my 
What I've learned is the infra red repeater system only works with the Playbar in the flat profile.  
Also as the Official Rep above describes, the Playbar detects how it's oriented and directs the sound channel to the appropriate speaker (Left and Right).
Last, I've learned from diagrams that in either orientation, the amazing design enables the 9 speakers to keep the same firing angle (45 degrees?) into the room.
Hope this helps;
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I've experimented with both orientations and am still evaluating.  I'm not positive but I think I like the sound with the Playbar upright (on edge as you put it), but I prefer the look of the lower profile.  My extensive research of other forum comments doesn't seem to support that there is any real difference, so it might be my 
What I've learned is the infra red repeater system only works with the Playbar in the flat profile.  
Also as the Official Rep above describes, the Playbar detects how it's oriented and directs the sound channel to the appropriate speaker (Left and Right).
Last, I've learned from diagrams that in either orientation, the amazing design enables the 9 speakers to keep the same firing angle (45 degrees?) into the room.
Hope this helps;

Hi Toltec21,

Thanks for the feedback and opinion, I'm sure it'll help User103258. Just wanted to let you know you're correct, the speakers are at 45 degree angles. Here's a cool 'exploded' view of the PLAYBAR, it helps visualize the layout.

Cheers
Badge
Hope this helps;

Thanks guys.

I'm still playing around with it too - might be entirely subjective but I'm sure it sounds better on its edge. Just seems to push sound out into the room a bit better ...
Userlevel 2
I'm in the same boat here, need to place my Playbar on the tv stand.  The Sonos quickstart guide unambiguously states "lay it flat", but various comments and reviews claim that upright sounds better, even on a stand.  Does Sonos have an "official" position on this...?

Cheers,

David
Hope this helps;

Yes, it is confusing.  Manual says to lay flat.  But, if you mount it on the wall, it will be "on edge".  Mine sits on mantle below tv.  Which is best?
Hello

I have positioned my Playbar on edge with the lights and powerbutton on the left hand whem you stand before the playbar.
I agree that's better for the soundscape.
The manual says lay it flat don't put it on the edge. I have started this question already in the dutch forum from Sonos.
The official answer from Sonos was when you put it on the edge there's is a risk that the playbar could turn over !
I hope I helped you put with this question.

I am hoping on better souns equalization or Trueplay for Playbar.

Maarten
I think home theater wall panels would help you. They are produced by new technology and they are a new green acoustic material in the building materials industry and furniture industry. More and more projects choose to use them as acoustic materials, not just home theater wall panels.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I think you guys might be overthinking this. The Playbar sounds fantastic laying flat or "on edge" -- position it according to what fits best with your TV stand (or wall). You're gonna go crazy trying to second guess yourself or reconcile input from other people who may have different room dimensions, room shapes, floor types, and even what's hanging on their walls (e.g., acoustic wall treatments). With the addition of Trueplay to the Playbar, it really doesn't matter how you position it.