in doubt of buying sub

Badge

I have 2 sonos 5 speakers just added the sub 

31 replies

Love both my Subs. 

Userlevel 7

Most people are content with just the pair of Fives, but adding a Sub will definitely improve the bass performance especially if you listen to hip hop, electronic, or techno music. Test your setup with and without the Sub. You can always return the Sub if you feel it is unnecessary.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Adding a Sub is like going from 2d to 3d

This may sound counter intuitive; in testing the Sub for value, also see how it improves the low volume level listening experience. The Sub keeps the music rich even at those levels, by keeping a still palpable bass presence. 

Badge

I started this post to explain that I was In doubt adding sub to my 2 sonos 5 reason being I was very happy with sound quality and bass response I have read a lot of reviews most are negative about adding sub I have a very large kitchen dining room the bass was not filling the whole room I bought the sub yesterday and added to sonos all I can say is wow if you have a large room sub is a must I have one sonos 5 in corner bass very good the other 5 is not in a corner bass not as good so I paired the sub to the speaker with less bass response  so if anyone is in doubt sub is a must if you can afford 

In addition to the obvious added bass energy, since bass is removed from the smaller speakers, they have an easier job and the midrange becomes clearer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I started this post to explain that I was In doubt adding sub to my 2 sonos 5 reason being I was very happy with sound quality and bass response I have read a lot of reviews most are negative about adding sub I have a very large kitchen dining room the bass was not filling the whole room I bought the sub yesterday and added to sonos all I can say is wow if you have a large room sub is a must I have one sonos 5 in corner bass very good the other 5 is not in a corner bass not as good so I paired the sub to the speaker with less bass response  so if anyone is in doubt sub is a must if you can afford 

This was my experience.  However I got a work bonus and treated myself to a sub on the basis that i’d be returning it within the 100 day trial.  First track of the first album I played made me realise it was here to stay.  In my experience Trueplay made a massive difference to the sound of the 5’s and Sub.  WIth Trueplay off the bass is too boomy. Trueplay on is a massive positive difference.

Badge

Thank you bockersjv I will try all different combinations today yesterday was too hot 39 degrees here 

Badge

Just a quick question to everyone do you leave your speaker's switched on when not in use or turn off at mains socket 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I leave all my speakers on all the time 

In my experience Trueplay made a massive difference to the sound of the 5’s and Sub.  WIth Trueplay off the bass is too boomy. Trueplay on is a massive positive difference.

Agreed, 100%. At first the Trueplay tuned bass may sound lean to those used to the bloated sound, but it takes just a couple of days to realise that lean is better here as well. I do have my Sub output after Trueplay set to +2 though.

Just a quick question to everyone do you leave your speaker's switched on when not in use or turn off at mains socket 

The system is designed to be powered 24/7. After a couple minutes of no sound, a unit will switch into a low power mode, but there is still a little energy consumption because the unit remains active on the network.

One consideration of constantly powering down the units is that SONOS makes very sophisticated use of computer network resources. Unlike a simple web browser that typically communicates with a single remote site, the SONOS units are constantly chattering with each other and optimizing the communication paths between units. If a web page, chat, or email is occasionally delayed for a few milliseconds, no one will notice, but if music is delayed its a disaster. When one or more SONOS units are suddenly powered down, the SONOS network strategy must be re-worked and that silent unit might have been a critical link. In some respects is like attempting to change socks while running and you may bump into other runners while struggling.

You can minimize network chaos caused by constantly powering down the SONOS units by configuring your router to “reserve” addresses for all devices that regularly connect to the network. This is a one time chore -- repeated if you replace the router in the future. I know that legions of people will claim that they have not reserved addresses and never had any trouble, but they were accidentally lucky for those dozens or hundreds of times and when trouble finally strikes they make the incorrect assumption that something broke.

You can minimize network chaos caused by constantly powering down the SONOS units by configuring your router to “reserve” addresses for all devices that regularly connect to the network. This is a one time chore -- repeated if you replace the router in the future.

Deserves to be a sticky.

Badge

Thanks buzz I will leave mine on 

I set up true play and it has made a big difference the highs mid bass and low bass are in equal proportion my room is filled with quality sound thanks sonos your products are the best 

your products are the best 

Just to keep the record straight, I’m not a SONOS employee, these are not “my” products. I and a few others just hang around here a bit more than most Community members.

“a bit more….” 

I’m laughing. Mostly at myself :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I keep all our speakers on, regardless of network I believe the initial power on is the most dangerous time for the power supply boards.

As for the Sub, definitely money well spent!.

In my opinion, when electronics are most at risk is when there is a state change, so power on, firmware updates, power surges, anything that disturbs the status quo can be a point of failure, although rare in the majority of cases. 

Badge

Is the best way to set up sonos system 

Dining room 1 sonos5

Dining room 2 sonos 5 plus sub 

Badge

And when I turn sub on does it lower the bass frequency of both sonos 5s or just the one the sub is paired to 

It would lower that of both only if they are bonded together as a stereo pair.

Badge

That explains why one sounds different from the other thanks Kumar 

Badge

Kumar will I have to unpair the sub first then set up sonos 5s in stereo then add the sub 

Yes, that is a good way to ensure that the end result is what is desirable. Remember to again do Trueplay tuning at the end.

Badge

Help lol I paired the 2 5s stereo then added the sub done true play with sub off trueplay on 5s sound a lot better when I turn sub on the whole system sounds not good the 5s sound better with sub off in trueplay no mid bass with sub on what am I doing wrong I done trueplay 5 times