Question

How to get 5.1 sound from Xbox one S

Badge
So when i'm watching TV a blue ray movie, i only get Stereo sound; i have the TV connected to the sonos thru the optical cable. My TV is a Sony xbr65x850d; i get 5.1 launching app directly from the TV and a couples Apps from my amazon fire stick but not when 'm playing blue ray. if i connect the Xbox one S directly to the Sonos speaker via the Optical cable i get 5.1 but not if i connected from the TV any solutions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

I took a look at the documentation for your tv and xbox and I would guess that the issue is with the xbox settings.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/configure-audio-settings#32334455b6a0473e8206a18d2d3589fb

According to this document, there are separate setting for the optical out and hdmi out, which would explain why it worked for a direction connection to the playbar, but not through the tv. From what you described, your hdmi is set to stereo, while your optical is set to bitstream. Therefore, I would try setting hdmi to bitstream as well. I'm not great a this stuff, so couldn't tell you for sure. You man need to experiment some.

It seems doubtful that there is a setting issue on your tv, since it is handling other hdmi inputs (fire tv) without issue.

I actually recently connected an xbox one s to my sony tv with playbar setup myself, and really didn't look to see what sound quality I was getting. I'll go check them myself tonight.
It's not you. The problem is that modern TV's will NOT pass through a 5.1 signal over optical.

TV's will output a 5.1 optical signal only from it's INTERNAL tuner (or a USB streaming device like a Fire Stick). And of course the Xbox will output a 5.1 signal over optical... BUT when the Xbox (or any digital surround sound source) is connected to TV, the TV's board will immediately downgrade its optical output's audio signal to stereo! (I wonder how people unwittingly listen to stereo signals on their surround sound systems...)

This downgrade is a result of DRM (digital rights management) since TOSLINK (optical) cannot perform the HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) handshake like HDMI can. Thus TV's will pass along a 5.1 signal over HDMI, but not optical.

Unfortunately SONOS neglected to include HDMI on their PLAYBAR... So the only way to feed 5.1 to your PLAYBAR from multiple sources is with a digital optical audio switch.
Jeff, that doesn't sound correct. It is correct for many, maybe most tvs, but I believe Sony does pass through. It also doesn't line up with my setup and what the OP is describing.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Try setting the XboxOne to HDMI audio. Then set the format to Bitstream out, followed by setting the Bitstream format to Dolby Digital.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It's usually a matter of having a TV that will pass through a Dolby Digital audio signal to the optical connection (some do, some don't) AND having the XBox set such that it will always send out a Bitstream - Dolby Digital audio signal.

Make sure that the XBox is set to send Bitstream audio via HDMI, and that the Bitstream format is Dolby Digital... then check your TV's sound/audio settings to make sure it will pass that signal through to the optical connection. You might need to find the full user's manual for your TV from the manufacturer's website to determine what settings need to be adjusted and how they should be set to achieve this.
Badge
It's usually a matter of having a TV that will pass through a Dolby Digital audio signal to the optical connection (some do, some don't) AND having the XBox set such that it will always send out a Bitstream - Dolby Digital audio signal.

Make sure that the XBox is set to send Bitstream audio via HDMI, and that the Bitstream format is Dolby Digital... then check your TV's sound/audio settings to make sure it will pass that signal through to the optical connection. You might need to find the full user's manual for your TV from the manufacturer's website to determine what settings need to be adjusted and how they should be set to achieve this.

Sir, I want to say thank you. I was having same issues on my XBox One as the Op after I got my Apple TV up and running with 5.1. I have a Samsung and every time I tried to change HDMI settings in Xbox to Bitstream, it would yell at me and default it back to Stereo. Went to Expert Settings in Samsung and changed HDMI from PCM to Bitstream, went back to Xbox Settings and changed to Bitstream and then Dolby 5.1. That did the trick. They both had to match. So now I have 5.1 from my ATV and Xbox One (games and DVD player).

Sir, I want to say thank you. I was having same issues on my XBox One as the Op after I got my Apple TV up and running with 5.1. I have a Samsung and every time I tried to change HDMI settings in Xbox to Bitstream, it would yell at me and default it back to Stereo. Went to Expert Settings in Samsung and changed HDMI from PCM to Bitstream, went back to Xbox Settings and changed to Bitstream and then Dolby 5.1. That did the trick. They both had to match. So now I have 5.1 from my ATV and Xbox One (games and DVD player).

What you think of the picture quality from xbox ? I just bought samsung UHD-M9500 and thinking to return it to get the new Xbox
Badge

What you think of the picture quality from xbox ? I just bought samsung UHD-M9500 and thinking to return it to get the new Xbox

I have the Xbox One S (non 4K) with a Samsung UN55MU9000. Picture quality seems ok with games and DVD. Debating whether to get new Xbox One X or not. We also just got the new Apple TV 4K. Watched one (streaming) 4K movie and it was very good.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I have the Xbox One S (non 4K) with a Samsung UN55MU9000. Picture quality seems ok with games and DVD. Debating whether to get new Xbox One X or not. We also just got the new Apple TV 4K. Watched one (streaming) 4K movie and it was very good.

To my knowledge there's no such thing as a "non 4K" Xbox One S.

"Xbox One S natively supports video output at 4K resolution, and high dynamic range (HDR) color using HDR10. 4K video can be played from supported streaming services and Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc,[224][226][227] Games are upscaled from 1080p to 4K." Wikipedia.

🆒Thank you so much. I hooked up my Xbox One X to the LG B7 OLED & then fed the Motorola Advanced Arris DVR to the Xbox One X.

You’re right it was set to stereo compressed under audio settings on HDMI. I switched settings per your advice.

Watching Titanic now through DVR.

I’ve been using Logi Harmony 665 & like it. The tilt light up sensor is really nice.

For One Guide TV setup I set it to surround sound mode. It sounds cooler to me.

It’s neat! I’ve been playing a lot of “Overwatch.” A lot.

I’m waiting for the white Sonos Sub. I asked for it for Christmas. I have this gigantic white IKEA Besta stand with that white tempered glass top.
Badge
DiscoveryStar, I Just Purchased a 65 B7 OLED and Xbox One S. What do you recommend on all the settings for both Xbox and TV to be able to receive Dolby Digital sound through my 5.1 setup? How do you like your OLED? I'm so excited and I cant wait to get everything all setup and hopefully enjoy the best Picture & Sound I ever owned! Any info you have on this setup would be greatly appreciated 🙂