Question

Honestly...does everyone just live with lip sync delay?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

59 replies

Hi

We set our SAMSUNG KS8000 audio delay settings without a hitch when we first set up the SONOS sound system. All was well until the latest SONOS software update. We've been unable to get lip sync accurately matched. It's the same 'need a negative audio delay' issue that many people have. We have set Samsung TV audio delay to 0 and Sonos to 0. There is still a minimal delay and unfortunately I am one of those OCD type people that cannot unsee the delay and I fixate on it....so frustrating! We've noticed that there is a different delay from channel to channel and I can't watch some channels any more as it's infuriating.

Did anyone ever find a satisfactory solution?

Maybe either TV or Home theatre systems manufacturers should come up with an inline processing unit with large memory and storage that will accurately sync both video and audio before outputting through TV and speakers. Come on INNOVATORS, get developing to perfect your products.
The TV people don't care much about lip sync. The film industry dealt with it in the 1940's. I've been in the control room of a local TV station and pointed out the lip sync issue on their own monitors. Their reply was a blank stare indicating: "you are clueless, you just don't get it!". In some cases a video tape recorded on machine 'A' will result in lip sync issues when played on machine 'B'. This does not bother the TV guys. In general, I find that the movie channels have the best lip sync.

In a few cases I have noticed that connecting the TV directly to the cable box results in the picture being ahead of the audio. If this is your situation, other than swapping the cable box and hoping that there is improvement, you are stuck with bad lip sync that is baked in at the cable company or TV station. From comments I see on the SONOS community, it seems that TV lip sync is less of an issue in Europe.
Badge
RRG UPDATE , OK , So the Geek squad from Best Buy have installed a new Sonos system for me . I will say it did fix the issue with the right rear speaker cutting out but no help with the audio delay issue . Some Channels are worse that others but no channel is correct in sync . Also , now while listening to music from my I phone it decides to cut the songs off about 2/3 way thru and stop playing . Change song manually and starts playing again ?
All the folks with suggestions as to how to re-configure the system are much appreciated but the way I see it is , I've
had 4 different Geek squad techs come to try and correct this but non were able . I have to assume they know what they are doing and follow the Sonos guidelines . My feeling is this may not ever get resolved ? So many brands of TV's , updates , technology , Wi-Fi , wireless , Streaming , ect . Maybe Sonos will respond with something other than call our tech support because it hasn't helped me any . If anything changes I'll be the first to post it .
Badge
Ryan , Nothing sitting next to speakers and as I noted above the speaker issue seems to be corrected . What is not corrected is while playing music on my I Phone the system just cuts the songs off and stops , I can forward to the next song and it starts playing again . This happens at random and often . As for interference in general , my system is set up with Direct TV wireless and the receiver is by the TV and playbar as it should be . If that is a problem the Geek guys set it up that way .
Now as for adding another component to correct the audio issue , Guess i'll try that , interesting to me that no one from best buy has ever mentioned that or informed me I would need to do that when I bought the system .
Also it is not only LG TV'S that have this issue , Stay tuned .
Badge
Sonos says use an HDMI Switcher ,Ordering this today per best buy recommendation to correct audio issue , will be installed by Best Buy , Will let everyone know how it works out .
https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Premium-Extractor-Converter/dp/B074HHSJVN?th=1
Badge
RRG UPDATE , HELLO ALL , OK SO HERE IS THE LATEST . AS PER SONOS I HAD BEST BUY INSTALL THE SWITCHER I POSTED EARLIER . DEFINITELY HELPED THE AUDIO DELAY SITUATION OVERALL . I DO HAVE A HAND FULL OF CHANNELS THAT STILL HAVE THE ISSUE BUT OVERALL CERTAINLY HELPED . I WOULD RECOMMEND TO ANYONE HAVING THIS ISSUE TO TRY IT . AS FOR RIGHT REAR SPEAKER ISSUE , THAT TOO HAS BEEN RESOLVED
WITH INSTALL OF NEW SONOS SYSTEM . I WILL ALSO SAY THIS, IT IS MY OPINION THAT IF YOUR SYSTEM IS NOT SUPPLIED WITH AT LEAST 50 MEG OF WIFI I THINK YOU WILL HAVE ISSUES . ( NO ONE TELLS YOU THAT ) I STARTED WITH ATT AND 1 MEG ( BEST I COULD GET IN MY AREA ) NOT ENOUGH , SWITCHED TO SPECTRUM 100 MEG , MUCH BETTER AND LESS DROPS . IN CLOSING I WILL SAY I AM PRETTY HAPPY WITH TH SYSTEM NOW , VERY UNFORTUNATE THOU HAVING TO GO THRU ALL THIS AN WASTE MY TIME , PLUS ADDED EXPENSE TO GET TO THIS POINT .
NOW ALL WE NEED ARE OUTDOOR SPEAKERS FROM SONOS !!!!
Just a note, using all caps is seen as SHOUTING and is considered bad form as far as forum etiquette goes.
Badge
SERIOUSLY ; DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING CONSTRUCTIVE TO ADD TO HELP SOLVE EVERYONE'S ISSUES ?
16247 REPLIES AND THIS IS ALL YOU HAVE TO SAY ? GET OVER IT .
SERIOUSLY ; DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING CONSTRUCTIVE TO ADD TO HELP SOLVE EVERYONE'S ISSUES ?
16247 REPLIES AND THIS IS ALL YOU HAVE TO SAY ? GET OVER IT .

Actually, I do have a solution. But I consider all caps to be shouting, and thus will not be helping you.