Delay compensation when used with AV receivers

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

144 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
+1. I love my Sonos system (3x Play:5 and 2x Connect), but the Sonos speakers don't come close to the sound quality of my main Rotel/Dynaudio combo with a Connect box.

Without delay compensation on the 5's I'm getting fustrated enough that I might sell the lot and run wires and speakers throughout the house instead.

Come on guys, this has been an open request since 2005 (according to this thread...) and it isn't that difficult to fix in software

Other than my Play5, all my cables are hom erun, but I still want delay option as my HT speakers have delays for surround so when standing where I can here the HT speakers and kitchen speakers they are out of sync. I need to put the same delay on my Sonos so it's in Sync with receiver
+1. I love my Sonos system (3x Play:5 and 2x Connect), but the Sonos speakers don't come close to the sound quality of my main Rotel/Dynaudio combo with a Connect box.

Without delay compensation on the 5's I'm getting fustrated enough that I might sell the lot and run wires and speakers throughout the house instead.

Come on guys, this has been an open request since 2005 (according to this thread...) and it isn't that difficult to fix in software
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
+1 from me too. Apparently the new Playbar has a lipsync function for adjusting the time delay. So if they can adjust the time on the playbar with other sonos units (such as play3's in surround sound and the Sub) then they can do it for the AV Receivers out there too. Actually quite angry at this failure from Sonos and it is their fault (not the AV Receiver manufacturers) as Sonos made and sold a product that is supposed to be compatible with AV Receivers and in turn compatible with their other products, and it turns out, it's not!
Userlevel 2
+1 from me too.

I have four Sonos devices around the house that I used to love. Having invested in an AV receiver and good quality speakers for the living room I'm finding the Sonos really frustrating. There is a constant echo between this room and the next due to the fact the Yamaha RX-A1010 is several ms behind everything else.

I guess Sonos are generating all their profit from speakers at the moment, so it's not in their interest to enable us to use better speakers. A shame, because the genius behind the product is not the speaker itself
+1 for me, onnkyo 705 has delay. Even the squeezbox had this!
I need this delay adjustment as well...funny thing is...it used to be an option a long time ago....I didn't need it at the time, but have upgraded all my receivers to the super-cool stuff that is out now. I can't play/group any DSP equipped rooms with any of the stand alone units due to the delay.

Come on Sonos, give us a delay adjustment!!!!!

When was it ever an option? I believe you are mistaken there.
Userlevel 2
I need this delay adjustment as well...funny thing is...it used to be an option a long time ago....I didn't need it at the time, but have upgraded all my receivers to the super-cool stuff that is out now. I can't play/group any DSP equipped rooms with any of the stand alone units due to the delay.

Come on Sonos, give us a delay adjustment!!!!!
.... and then Sonos changed the game when they announced their own sound bar and home theatre solution. By the time you add together the cost of the Sonos sound bar, a pair of Play 3:'s and a sub to get 5.1 your wallet may be screaming though. :)

I wonder what it would sound like though?

From the initial reviews, it sounds extremely good.

Most importantly, in either mode, it sounds great. Music has a surprising degree of precision, with vocals coming through clearly in the center while the rest of the soundstage has a spread that belies the placing of the speakers. Movies, meanwhile, go even further: the virtual surround you get with the PLAYBAR alone is impressively effective, and the bass has some decent thump to it (given the limitations of the 36 x 5.5 x 3.4 inch footprint and the speakers Sonos has been able to fit), but group it up with a couple of PLAY:3 rear channels and the SUB, and it’s both incredibly loud and precise.

http://www.slashgear.com/sonos-playbar-hands-on-your-tv-audio-gets-clever-12268911/

Whether we were listening to Pink Floyd or watching a clip from Super 8, the Playbar delivered the high fidelity audio we've come to expect from Sonos. Speaking and singing voices are replicated faithfully, and the unit shines in the high and mid range. While it provides very tight, clean bass by itself, we found that the Playbar benefitted greatly from the presence of a Sonos Sub. With the sub, movie sound effects had a much richer, theater-like sound, and bass-heavy tunes got some welcome low-end punch. That's not to say the Playbar doesn't sound good solo, it's just that the experience was significantly improved when the Sub was added into the mix.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/12/sonos-playbar-home-theater-soundbar/
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
.... and then Sonos changed the game when they announced their own sound bar and home theatre solution. By the time you add together the cost of the Sonos sound bar, a pair of Play 3:'s and a sub to get 5.1 your wallet may be screaming though. :)

I wonder what it would sound like though?
+1

I have 7 zones that syncs perfectly in partymode and 1 zone out of zync (sonos connect + Yamaha YSP4000).

This is NOT good sonos. You lose reputation with issues like this (and yes I know the problem is within the YSP amp. but you can fix it)

Doesn't it logically follow that if "the problem is within the YSP amp" it should be Yamaha's job to "fix it?"
Userlevel 2
+1

I have 7 zones that syncs perfectly in partymode and 1 zone out of zync (sonos connect + Yamaha YSP4000).

This is NOT good sonos. You lose reputation with issues like this (and yes I know the problem is within the YSP amp. but you can fix it)
Userlevel 2
+1 form me too

zone player 3 in kitchen
connect + yamaha soundbar (ysp 2200) in livingroom
Userlevel 2
+1 from me
Userlevel 2
+1 definetely! It's actually bad move to advertise that you can connect Sonos to your stereos, but then you can't play them at the same time without echoes...
Userlevel 2
+1 from me
Userlevel 2
+1 for per-device manual delay option
Userlevel 2
Badge
+1 from me too
Userlevel 2
+1 for me.
Userlevel 2
+1 from me. This is crucial as I use a Sonos Play:5 and home theatre speakers in the same small apartment.
Userlevel 1
+1 for me - I notice when I run my Bose through the connect an odd echo in the house when the rest of the house is running Play 5's
Badge
+1

been asking for this for ages

Same here, so I guess it won't happen. 😮

Which is a shame in this day and age of AVRs, external DACs and similar.. I see a potential Kickstarter project on a simple "digital delay unit", DIY and fully assembled 🆒
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I have a Zp90 sending coax to my reciever (onkyo 805) in livingroom and a wireless play3 in the next room. The reciever makes a delay of 50-80 ms delay to the signal,so the rooms don't play in sync. I wish I could go to setup and choose/add a 80 ms (adjustable to what you need) delay to the play3 (or whatever you are using),so the rooms would play in sync!

+1

been asking for this for ages
Userlevel 2
I have a Zp90 sending coax to my reciever (onkyo 805) in livingroom and a wireless play3 in the next room. The reciever makes a delay of 50-80 ms delay to the signal,so the rooms don't play in sync. I wish I could go to setup and choose/add a 80 ms (adjustable to what you need) delay to the play3 (or whatever you are using),so the rooms would play in sync!
Userlevel 2
Can't believe there is no option in Sonos to adjust delay comp. I just switched from a squeezebox setup where you can adjust delay caused by dac and other audio processing to remove echo from zones.

Really hope this is implemented in the future
+ 1 from me!

I have the issue that my AV receiver connected to my Connect introduces a slight delay of a few milliseconds. Unfortunately, my amp does not have the option to allow a direct passthrough without any processing. Thus, I would be really happy if Sonos introduced the option to adjust room specific delays that would help compensate for the amp processing.