Question

Mute Microphone on ACE during Calls

Is there a way to mute the microphone during below calls?  

• Phone Call
  • Teams Call
  • Zoom Call 

12 replies

Userlevel 2

Absolutely wondering the same 

I know you can mute in the applications like Teams/Zoom and also use keyboard shortcuts, but I’m not always at my desk when using the headphones, would be nice to be able to mute/unmute with a function on the headphones

Userlevel 1

So far from the manual there does not appear to be a way to mute the microphones (which makes sense in regards to the noise cancellation) but I would think that functionality could be captured by simply stopping the transfer of microphone data to the connected device (especially for phone calls, but should also be possible to do during Teams calls if the headphones can recognize that they are in a Teams meeting).

The method I could see working could be using the content key (single press currently answers a phone call, and during a call a single press currently ends the call) such as a double tap or a press and hold during the call (or swap the end call function to double tap and the mute/unmute to single tap). The Voice Control button (press and hold for voice assistant) could also be repurposed during a call for that (especially thinking how the voice assistant doesn’t serve a function on PC, as far as my experience goes).

Having used quite a few other pairs of noise cancelling headphones, I find it quite shocking that Ace is missing a simple way to toggle the mic on and off! I too tend to take calls from my computer and wander away from it so need the ability to mute/unmute myself _from my headphones_.

Userlevel 1

@GrimmauldPlace I just checked that the Apple AirPods Max have this functionality available. Seems Sonos may want to add that functionality if it really wants to compete with the AirPods Max (let alone cheaper AirPods, that also have that mic muting capability). 

@GrimmauldPlace I just checked that the Apple AirPods Max have this functionality available. Seems Sonos may want to add that functionality if it really wants to compete with the AirPods Max (let alone cheaper AirPods, that also have that mic muting capability). 

I’m not sure that’s going to be possible since the request is for a hard button to mute/unmute the mic.  It would have to be something along the lines of pressing existing buttons multiple times, which is probably not satisfactory and already well used for other functions.

Userlevel 1

@melvimbe right, for example during a call a single button press mutes/unmutes, two button presses ends the call. Simple enough, and is very possible as that exact method has been satisfactory for me on my AirPods Pro without any personal complaint. If those controls don’t jive with everyone, then the ability to change what button presses do for individualized control has been shown and could bridge the gap for different types of users. Sonos isn’t having to innovate for this functionality, just provide the function as it’s already been shown on other similar devices. 

@melvimbe right, for example during a call a single button press mutes/unmutes, two button presses ends the call. Simple enough, and is very possible as that exact method has been satisfactory for me on my AirPods Pro without any personal complaint. If those controls don’t jive with everyone, then the ability to change what button presses do for individualized control has been shown and could bridge the gap for different types of users. Sonos isn’t having to innovate for this functionality, just provide the function as it’s already been shown on other similar devices. 

Here are the current controls for the 3 butttons on Ace has.  What button are you thinking could be used for mute/unmute of the mic without interfering with existing functions? I don’t think you can really.  I would not want to use the power/bluetooth button, or the noise control button, which just leaves the content key.  You could make double press for mute/unmute, but since single press is ‘end call’, you risk ending a call when you meant to mute.

It would have to be as you suggest where the single press of content key is reassigned to be muting mic, and a double press to end the call.  It would perhaps be an option to let users reassign what presses do based on their preference.  For example, I don’t ever answer/end calls with headphone buttons, I always use the bluetooth source device.  I would be good with reassigning that to mic mute.  Or some people may want to always turn off noise control for calls, and use that button for mic mute. I guess that’s what you mean for individualized controls.

After writing this, I don’t think I said anything you didn’t already say.

Userlevel 1

@melvimbe same, I don’t tend to end calls from headphones, but would love to mute calls from them, so hoping that’s as easy as a digital content key control option in a future update. I just don’t know that Sonos is aware of this functionality request from its users at this time. 

@melvimbe same, I don’t tend to end calls from headphones, but would love to mute calls from them, so hoping that’s as easy as a digital content key control option in a future update. I just don’t know that Sonos is aware of this functionality request from its users at this time. 

They do monitor the boards, and will usually see a response saying that the feature request has been noted and sent to right group for consideration.  The volume is much higher than normal right now, and moderators are busy moderating, so not too surprised that Sonos hasn’t chimed in yet.

It’s not like the dev team likely has any bandwidth for new features right now anyway.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ddilbeck 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!

No Mute Button! This seems like a significant shortcoming. Mute is table stakes for any user experience involving a microphone. This may actually be enough of a deal breaker to return my pair. Seems like an obvious miss.