Sonos with Google Home Perhaps not as good as Alexa

• 17 May 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge +2
So I have a playbar with a sub and a 1st gen Play 5. I successfully linked my sonos account with my Google home account. The Sonos speakers show up as devices, but when i try to give a google home command based on the name it says in my sonos, Google home doesn't know the device.
Using Alexa before had no issues with these devices. Can someone explain what the issue is.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

So I have a playbar with a sub and a 1st gen Play 5. I successfully linked my sonos account with my Google home account. The Sonos speakers show up as devices, but when i try to give a google home command based on the name it says in my sonos, Google home doesn't know the device.
Using Alexa before had no issues with these devices. Can someone explain what the issue is.

Google Assistant is only supported on the Sonos devices carrying mics (ONE and Beam) for now.
You would need a Google Home device. It's similar to Alexa: when you don't have ONE or Beam you need an Amazon Echo.
Badge +2
Like I said if I was not clear. Alexa works on these devices, Playbar, 1st gen and they don't have mics. I do have a alexa device which yes indeed has a mic. I also have Google Home which yes indeed has amic but what Google Home doesn't seem to be able to do is recognize the device.The devices are clearly listed in Google Home App and the connection of sonos account was successful. So disappointed in Sonos. First delays and then poor roll out. So I am still using Alexa. No offence it's not similar because one works and the other doesn't.
Badge +2
Solved - Not available in My country. sure wish they would say that as opposed to a blanket site statement making me believe it is available to me.
Solved - Not available in My country. sure wish they would say that as opposed to a blanket site statement making me believe it is available to me.

You may want to switch the country setting for the Sonos site (down at the bottom right on the main Sonos pages. The orange banner only shows up if you are set to the US, as far as I can tell.
Badge +2
How do you set that in the app where Google assistant has to be setup. Thanks for the suggestion.