Sonos "integration" adds controller rather than speakers to Google Home ecosystem

• 14 May 2019
  • 8 replies

So there it is.. a gigantic fail.

In short: Sonos finally shows up on Google Home but as a device rather tan WiFi speakers.

One can control Sonos playback from Google Home, but cannot use the speakers freely. This means no Sonos speaker integration to a Home Group, no using a Sonos speaker as a "default speaker" for another speaker.. none of that.

I've waited all this long just to be able to extend the music I play in my living room (5.1 stereo hooked up to Chromecast) to the Play:1 I have in the kitchen and today I found out a huge "close, but no cigar".

Anyone else feeling the rage of a thousand dragons or just me?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

No, most of us are rational people who saw the progression of the Alexa integration and know the same is in store for Google.
Probably not just you, but the words 'first world problem' spring to mind.
I'm a little confused as to what features you're complaining about. In a different thread, it sounded like you expected the integration to allow Sonos speakers and Google Home speakers to play together in sync. In this thread, you are complaining about the lack of default speakers for a Google room (something Ryan/Sonos is hinting could come in a later update) and a lack of chromecast?

I'm not saying you're wrong to want these features (although not really surprising), just clarifying what it is you're asking for.
It's the same concept, melvimbe. Sonos adding integration so people can use their speakers as speakers (whether in a group or as a default speaker to another speaker) is what's missing.

I don't think you need to take this in this way as it would seem as if it were personal to you.

My complaint is genuine and others feel the same. Sonos never clarified in which capacity they were planning on releasing this integration. They presented it as "full integration", and this isn't it.

This thread is to raise the issue in the community to hopefully catch Sonos' attention so they consider changing this, as this feature is perfectly doable.

If you, "first world problems" fella or anyone else doesn't care to participate positively, you can keep walking.

I've no interest in arguing my motives or feature requests with anyone other than the company from which I bought this product and people experiencing the same frustration.
Asks "Anyone else feeling the rage of a thousand dragons or just me?"

Gets answers.

Tells people answering to just "keep walking".

Me dies. 🙄
It's the same concept, melvimbe. Sonos adding integration so people can use their speakers as speakers (whether in a group or as a default speaker to another speaker) is what's missing.

They are three different functions that can exist independently of one another. If you're asking Sonos to add features, it can be helpful to be clear about what you're asking for.

I don't think you need to take this in this way as it would seem as if it were personal to you.

I did what?

My complaint is genuine and others feel the same. Sonos never clarified in which capacity they were planning on releasing this integration. They presented it as "full integration", and this isn't it.

Yes, your complaint is valid. Did Sonos actually say full integration? You're quoting it as if you did. As someone who's been around and watching since the Alexa integration, what was implemented initially for Google isn't surprising to me at all. That doesn't mean I don't want the same features that you do (I don't think I care about syncing with google speakers). I'm just understanding that there are reasons why features aren't there from day 1, and some things that customers want won't be done for legal/business reasons.

This thread is to raise the issue in the community to hopefully catch Sonos' attention so they consider changing this, as this feature is perfectly doable.

I don't think Sonos is unaware of the three features you've mentioned, as they are pretty much what has been requested for Alexa. I don't think you can conclude they are perfectly doable without having more inside information.

If you, "first world problems" fella or anyone else doesn't care to participate positively, you can keep walking.

I've no interest in arguing my motives or feature requests with anyone other than the company from which I bought this product and people experiencing the same frustration.

Did someone question your motives?
And to be honest, by posting on a community forum, rather than an email directly to Sonos, you have opened up the possibility of people with opposing views than your posting their opinions. That's the nature of a community forum, everyone has an equal opportunity to express themselves.
You ask a question on a public forum and object to getting answers? You can raise awsrenesd, you can feel disappointed, and have every right to express that here. But 'rage of a thousand dragons...... '?