Question

Now it's completely broken!

• 24 December 2019
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I’ve been having trouble with erratic responses from GA on Sonos for days, and now it’s completely broken! I eventually tried the last resort of unlinking and relinking my Sonos account to Google. Now I can’t activate Google Assistant on my Sonos speaker at all. Google sees the speaker just fine, and can play music to it. The Sonos app sees the speaker just fine, and can play music too it. But Google Assistant won’t link to it - Google Assistant just says that it couldn’t find the Sonos speaker, even though Google Home is playing music to it right now.

Just as a test, I added Alexa instead. Installs quickly and works fine. The fault is between Sonos and Google.

Returning to GA, I finally got it to find the Sonos speaker and install after about 25 tries. But it’s still not functional. It either gives no response or says “something went wrong/there was a glitch”. If I tell Google to resync devices, the Sonos speaker beeps and makes an announcement. But it quickly returns to unresponsive state. Finally after another few minutes of coaxing, it starts giving responses - very slowly, after a long delay. I unplugged it to move the speaker back where it was, and again it took several minutes for GA to come up and return to giving slow responses. And the first spontaneous announcement it made was to repeat the last response it gave before I moved it several minutes earlier!

This is getting to be really frustrating. Something is clearly not working between Sonos and Google Assistant, and Sonos is just not doing anything to address the problems. I’ve wasted an hour I can ill afford on this already today, and screwed up some of my related setup that will have to be redone. My rating of Sonos is rapidly going from zero to minus 100. It sure seems like Google Assistant was not ready for release when Sonos released it, and nothing has been done to in the intervening half year to fix the problems.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I have wasted more than a day on this and it is still broken, with no Alexa.
The window is not broken yet!!!!!!!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

GA worked well for me for a couple of months then, just before Xmas, stopped working altogether. I’ve read all the guidance notes and tried all the suggestions in various threads on the forums; these have included restarting everything, uninstalling everything, rebooting everything, resetting Google Assistant, renaming devices and more… I’ve even changed my router! As a result, just occasionally, I’ll ask GA to do something and it responds instantly but any subsequent command is then ignored.

I’ve spent days trying all sort of fixes and it’s still bust. Yesterday I got a questionaire from Sonos about my system. Suffice to say the replies were less than enthusiastic. What’s most irritating is that Sonos must know there are problems with GA but seem incapable of resolving the issue or, in the case of this thread, even acknowledging the problem.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

“Hello, Google partner support? This is Sonos, and we have a problem with your crappy Google Assistant not working. What are you going to do about it?”

“Sonos, you said? Oh yes, the partner who’s accused us of stealing their patented ideas and is suing us for damages. We’ll get right on that! Let me transfer you to the correct department...*click*… we are experiencing unusual call volume at the moment, and all of our agents are busy serving other customers right now. Your business is very important to us. Please stay on the line and someone will be with you soon………………… I’m sorry, there was a glitch. Please try again later. *click*”

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @Doug Ames ,

I can certainly understand how important it is to make sure you are able to enjoy your Sonos system with Google Assistant. Submitting a diagnostic through the Sonos app provides us with a snapshot of your system so we can help identify what is causing your issue. Then, please reply back the diagnostic confirmation number so I can take a closer look at the issue.

Hi @Doug Ames ,

I can certainly understand how important it is to make sure you are able to enjoy your Sonos system with Google Assistant. Submitting a diagnostic through the Sonos app provides us with a snapshot of your system so we can help identify what is causing your issue. Then, please reply back the diagnostic confirmation number so I can take a closer look at the issue.

My diagnostic nummer is 1485319146. 
I had a real struggle connecting sonos one to Google Assistant. Finally i was able to do so, but it takes 10-30 secounds to get it to respons to my command, and 90% of the time «it says it has been a glitch» or «sorry, something went wrong, try again...»  

why is it like this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Broke again today after about 8 weeks of stability. “There was a glitch” on almost every command sequence.

But now I’m able to fix it right away using my solution of changing the local IP address back and forth between 2 reserved fixed IP addresses. I don’t even have to reboot the router or affect other devices - I just run dhcpsrv on my desktop set to respond only to the Sonos speaker by MAC address, and unplug/replug the speaker to get it to flip IP address.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@Doug Ames, thanks for the update. Let’s hope resolving it by changing the IP addresses fixes it!

@Christerstange, Which music service are you trying to play to Sonos and has that service been added to the Sonos application as well as the Google Assistant? If you start Spotify for example via the Sonos application and then ask Google Assistant to skip a track or adjust the volume for the specific Sonos room, do you get the same responses from the Google Assistant?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

And the same problem again today after another couple of months of stability. Constant “there was a glitch”. Same issue, same fix - have to change the local reserved IP address and then change it back again.