Newbie Dissapointment

• 17 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

I’ve bought a Beam 2 - first Sonos speaker. And I’m not overly impressed…

Sonos have an exellent reputation but I’ve had quite a few annoying issues.

Started with the setup not working and having to do it manually. It then decided my location was India and so neither voice assistants worked. When I finally got that figured out I discovered that every time I ask it to play ‘BBC radio 4’ it plays 4 Extra instead. Can’t find a solution to that one (other than the app).

I also can’t seem to set up a speaker group with Google speakers. I naively assumed that since they all use Google Assistant that they would all be able to go into a group for synchronous playback.

Does anyone know any solutions to these issues? I’m kinda wishing I’d just bought another Google speaker tbh.

2 replies

I’ve bought a Beam 2 - first Sonos speaker. And I’m not overly impressed…

Sonos have an exellent reputation but I’ve had quite a few annoying issues.

Started with the setup not working and having to do it manually. It then decided my location was India and so neither voice assistants worked. When I finally got that figured out I discovered that every time I ask it to play ‘BBC radio 4’ it plays 4 Extra instead. Can’t find a solution to that one (other than the app).

I’m not sure what a good command would be with Google, but this sounds like a Google issue, not Sonos.  It’s Google’s cloud servers that are interpreting the command, not Sonos.  Does the same command work correctly on your Google speakers.

I also can’t seem to set up a speaker group with Google speakers. I naively assumed that since they all use Google Assistant that they would all be able to go into a group for synchronous playback.

No, Sonos and Google have their own separate multiroom audio systems.  There would be some significant changes in the market before Sonos and Google are able to play together like that.

Does anyone know any solutions to these issues? I’m kinda wishing I’d just bought another Google speaker tbh.

Badge

Appreciate the reply. 

Yeah, the same command works find 9n Google speakers so no idea why sonos doesn't accept it.