Google Assist & Spotify Free on Beam not working

• 4 July 2019
  • 7 replies

Hi
Google Assistant is now available, great I thought so linked it all up and went to add a music service. The only one i can choose or want to is Spotify. It states that the free will work on Google Home, Assistant speakers and Android TV devices. It does not work and Google asks me to look at the app for more help. I am assuming it won’t work with free Spotify then?
M

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Spotify Free is not supported via GA on Sonos - as stated in the Google Assistant app.
Interesting, where does it say that exactly? I am new to GA.
M
Interesting, where does it say that exactly? I am new to GA.
M

In the Sonos app go to room settings of Beam/ONE, tap on 'Voice Services --> Google Assistant --> Settings for Music Services'. This will open the music settings in the GA app --> scroll down to Spotify.
Hi
it precisely says after following that guide:

Spotify
Spotify Free active ( I assume it says that because that’s what I have )
Available on Google Home, Assistant speakers and Android TV devices.
unlink

So it does not really say it’s not available. I knew Spotify does not work unless premium on Sonos direct but assumed that going through GA where it will work on a Google Home it would.

M

No, that is not the case. Going through GA does not bypass the requirements for a service on Sonos. It is the Sonos account that is actually playing the stream, GA is just the controller.

According to the last update this should work now, but I am unable to get GA to start music from Spotify Free no matter what I try ( it is setup in Sonos & GA, but all I receive is feedback regarding tiers and no available content) ...

If I'm not mistaken, the technical implementation of how Google Assistant plays Spotify on Sonos is the same as for Spotify Connect.

Spotify Connect requires Premium - a requirement, I believe, that is set by Spotify.