Fix for Error 'Sorry Something Went Wrong' when attempting to play music using Google Assistant

• 17 April 2022
  • 7 replies

I had a problem with Google Assistant on my Sonos One and Beam. I was unable to play Pandora Music on my Sonos by saying ‘Hey Google….’.  My Sonos App was working and if I used the App, I could play my music.  However, If I said, ‘Hey Google, Play Beatles Radio on Pandora’, the reply would be, ‘Sure, Playing Beatles Radio on Pandora’.  This was immediately followed by, ‘Sorry, Something Went Wrong’.  Previously, I had no issues.  Now, every time I tried, I got the same reply.  So, I did the following:

Restart Google Wi-Fi Network

Factory reset of Google Wi-Fi Network

Re-installed all of my Sonos products

Re-installed Google Assistant on my Sonos products

I repeated the following several times over a period of 2 weeks.

I contacted the Chat function of Sonos and they had me uninstall and reinstall Google Assistant.  Google Assistant worked fine, with the exception of the request to play Music. I was given a ticket number and told to call the following day (I chatted on Sunday, the technicians work Monday-Friday)

Finally, I tried deleting Pandora Radio from Sonos.  I reinstalled Pandora.  That worked!!! I don’t know why it started to act up in the first place, but not it works fine.  I hope this helps for those who may have a similar problem!

7 replies

The situation for me was to remove Google assistant from the Sonos Arc via the Sonos app--that's it! Then all commands work via phone or other smart speaker (except Sonos). So I think we must choose between voice control via Sonos microphone or other GA control microphones, and if you want to be able to control with any source other than Sonos speaker, you must remove GA from the Sonos speaker. 

This worked for me, albeit in my case it’s a Sonos:One. Strange that both at the same time don’t work.

Then again, the voice recognition quality when using Google assistant on my Sonos:One was really bad to the point that I usually turned of the mic and relied on a Google home that is in adjacent room anyway

Here is what worked for me: SOLVED for me with Sonos Arc. My setup: I added Sonos system to Google home, added Google assistant (GA) to Sonos Arc via Sonos app. Have other smart speaker in the same room and my phone is on to receive GA commands. If I used GA via Sonos Arc microphone, it worked to control volume or skip songs, for example. But, these commands would not work via phone microphone or other Google smart speaker to control the Sonos when Arc microphone was turned off (which I had to do because it was so bad). The situation for me was to remove Google assistant from the Sonos Arc via the Sonos app--that's it! Then all commands work via phone or other smart speaker (except Sonos). So I think we must choose between voice control via Sonos microphone or other GA control microphones, and if you want to be able to control with any source other than Sonos speaker, you must remove GA from the Sonos speaker. 

I have same problem with Sonos Arc and Spotify--so frustrating

I have the same issue with YouTube Music using Google Assistant, but unfortunately uninstalling both GA and YTM hasn’t worked.

Pretty disappointed with Sonos, expected the technology to be reliable. 

Badge +17

Hi @number5of8,

Thanks for sharing the steps you took as well as the solution! This should prove useful for anyone who may be experiencing similar issues. 

Let us know if we can help with anything else 🙂

I have same problem.  Super annoying.  My Sonos One connected ok, but the Beam and Roam won’t

Have any of you contacted Sonos Support?