Does anyone have experience dealing with the SONOS "back office"?

• 28 November 2023
  • 9 replies

Hello all, 

I’m extremely frustrated with SONOS customer support. 

I purchased a move, saved up and purchased a second one to use together. 

I mistakingly assumed or missed in the small print that these portable speakers can not pair via bluetooth. 

When I explained this to a customer service agent she was kind and understanding, she set me up with a return and said there will be no problem returning the second move that was purchased a few months previously, that it would just require some additional paperwork because it’s just over 45 days.

I moved on and accepted that I would have to use another product so I went ahead and ordered replacements after being told a return wouldn’t be a problem. 

So I waited, followed up, waited, followed up and eventually got a reply that my return request was denied because I was just over the time limit. 

If this was the case I don’t understand why I was told I would be able to return the second unit, or why a request was even made given that the representative had all of my information. 

I have called at least 5 times, every time I’m told I will get a call from a supervisor but they never call or reply to my emails. 

If this was a strict policy I would be mad at myself for missing the fine print but I’m very frustrated that I was told I could make the return, replaced the item then the return was denied after extensive follow up. 

I would love some advice on how to work with the “back office team”

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

Sorry to hear you’re having difficulties with a return. Generally Sonos is easy to deal with on return. I assume you purchased direct from Sonos. That being the case what country are you located in as the return window will vary. Here in the US it’s 45 days but more in some parts of the world. 

That’s correct, I purchased them direct unfortunately. I would have had a lot more buyer protection and better customer service had I purchased them from another source. 

@notahappycustomer 

I’m not too sure that anyone in the Sonos ‘user’ community here can do anything to assist you. You are perhaps best to re-contact the Support Staff member you spoke to originally. It may really help your case if you have the return agreement in writing, in which case I would perhaps attach that to any written communication.

It perhaps might be useful to take another approach too, by speaking to the Sonos Sales Team who are responsible for all Sonos Sales through their website etc. To assist you here is their contact details:

https://support.sonos.com/s/global-sales-help

Thanks Ken, 

I feel like I have completely exhausted my resources reaching out to the sales team. I have called, I have emailed. I did try filling out the forum on your link though.

The employees who answer the phone just seem to stick to their script. They have mentioned a handful of times that a supervisor promises to call me back but they refuse to connect me to a supervisor regardless of how friendly I am and I never get that call back. 

I was hoping perhaps someone had been through a similar situation and might be able to share their experience or a contact. 

I noticed they advertise Patrick Spence’s email, I included him on my follow up that isn't getting a reply. I assume it’s not actually monitored for customer complaints like this but we’ll see. 

Userlevel 7

Hi

I gave your post another read. I somehow missed that you were over 45 days. I think that everyone at least once has missed as you say the “fine print” which in your case was using the Move in stereo pair in BT mode. Although in all  honesty the inability to use two Moves in stereo pair in BT mode is clearly addressed in the FAQ’s. But that’s old news.

I nor this community can resolve your return issue. Also being “just a few days” over the 45 day return is somewhat ambiguous. What constitutes “ just a few days?”

What you have to remember is that the person who allegedly said there would be no problem is just someone answering the phone who is suppose to show empathy but really has no power of approval. The person who made the denial decision is paid to do just that… deny any request that isn’t within stated guidelines. The 45 day limit was set for a reason and making exceptions sets the wrong precedence from a corporate viewpoint.

You’ll have to go higher to get a satisfactory resolution. At the very least be a thorn in someone’s side that acquiesces just to make the issue go away as a one time customer satisfaction resolution. So contact sales as suggested. Good Luck!!

@notahappycustomer 

FWIW too, there are mobile LTE router devices on the market (via Amazon etc.) that cost less than £55 or equivalent Home currency value, that allow stereo playback over WiFi away from the Home.

Also there are even cheaper Dual-output  Bluetooth rechargeable transmitters that allow playback of a single audio stream to two Move (gen1’s) and some Android devices allow this too, so there are some cheap-ish options open to you if you have no success and decide to hang onto both your Moves.

I have used my two Moves very successful in the past for family parties, at hired premises with no WiFi, using a mobile router (a slightly more expensive one D-Link dwr-2101) and had no issues with that device with stereo music playing continuously for 6+ hours.

So just to say that there are various options out there. Some links you may find helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/Giveet-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Headphones/dp/B0BDSQT1YX

https://www.amazon.com/Huawei-E5576-320-Mobile-WiFi-Black/dp/B08BFYXNT5

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @notahappycustomer 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

We looked through your existing cases and were able to determine that you purchased a Move back in June - when you attempted to get a refund for this, you were informed that the 100 day Money Back Guarantee period for that particular order had passed.

Your case is currently with a Supervisor, and you should be hearing from them shortly. We can see that you also emailed our CEO, Patrick Spence - he does read these emails personally (or does his best to do so), but it will likely be the current Supervisor handling your case who will actually reply.

I hope this helps.

I certainly appreciate all of the engagement here! Ken, awesome suggestions but adding any complications to the setup would not be a good fit for my particular use case here (on a boat). 

Corry, thank you for taking the time to look into my case! 

I should state again that my issue isn’t that the product wasn’t capable of what I wanted it to do, that’s my fault for making an assumption instead of doing more research. It’s not that I don’t agree with the money back guarantee timeframe. I do regret buying it directly from sonos because other distributors would have been more responsive but again I agreed to those terms when I made the purchase so that’s on me. 

The issue is that I feel like I was fed lip service on making the return happen, I was told it wouldn’t be a problem and that it simply required a little more paperwork by an associate who reviewed my purchase date etc. This led me to uninstall, box up and replace the Move only to hear almost 4 weeks later after following up multiple times that they changed their mind and wouldn’t honor the return based on timing. 

If the 100 day policy is strict and exceptions aren’t made I would think the sales team should be knowledgeable of this.

Additionally I have been told on multiple occasions that I would get a call from someone in the “back office”, I never received that call so again it just felt like I was being told what I wanted to hear instead of addressing my case. The only communication I have received from the “back office” is an email stating “Due to the current high volume of work, I am unable to make a callback at this time.” I followed up with 3 emails asking if or when they would have availability, or following up based on an associate telling me I would get a call back that day and it’s just radio silence!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @notahappycustomer 

I should state again that my issue isn’t that the product wasn’t capable of what I wanted it to do, that’s my fault for making an assumption instead of doing more research. It’s not that I don’t agree with the money back guarantee timeframe. I do regret buying it directly from sonos because other distributors would have been more responsive but again I agreed to those terms when I made the purchase so that’s on me. 

It really doesn’t matter why you wanted to get a refund (well, it does to us, but not in terms of whether you actually get the refund or not) - the Money Back Guarantee period is supposed to be a no-questions-asked kind of deal. As long as you haven’t damaged the product, we’ll give you a refund within that 100 day period.

I’m not aware of any retailers that would offer you a longer MBG period (I live in UK and 15 or 30 days is pretty standard) - if you find them, by all means shop with them.

The issue is that I feel like I was fed lip service on making the return happen, I was told it wouldn’t be a problem and that it simply required a little more paperwork by an associate who reviewed my purchase date etc. This led me to uninstall, box up and replace the Move only to hear almost 4 weeks later after following up multiple times that they changed their mind and wouldn’t honor the return based on timing. 

If the 100 day policy is strict and exceptions aren’t made I would think the sales team should be knowledgeable of this.

Additionally I have been told on multiple occasions that I would get a call from someone in the “back office”, I never received that call so again it just felt like I was being told what I wanted to hear instead of addressing my case. The only communication I have received from the “back office” is an email stating “Due to the current high volume of work, I am unable to make a callback at this time.” I followed up with 3 emails asking if or when they would have availability, or following up based on an associate telling me I would get a call back that day and it’s just radio silence!

I can only apologise. The Customer Experience is very important to us here at Sonos - I assure you that your feedback is being taken seriously. I can't see what was said during the call, but please know people are looking into your case and will reach out to discuss potential solutions

I hope this helps.